Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

Next on Jerry Springer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I think it was. 4 year court battle, custody involved

Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I have been having this debate lately, I'm not really understanding why the biggest activists against circumcision have been women. This woman's actions were irrational. Why would you as a mother put yourself in a position to go to jail? Just to make a point. Why can't two presumably rational adults come to an argument about their child?
I have no idea where you get the notion that the 'biggest advocates' against circumcision are women.

This overview of the subject certainly does not put women front and center in opposing circumcision.
Circumcision controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this poll shows slightly more opposition of the practice from men, not women.
http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload...150202%20B.pdf

I would caution you that whatever groups are given the spotlight by a cable 'news' channel, or your favorite internet site, are less likely to be the 'biggest activists' but the ones that a program or blog thinks will generate the most viewers of page-hits.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How was she irrational? There are a growing number of people who view circumcision as mutilation. I don't know of any insurance companies that will pay for it, so I think Dad is lying and is quite possibly doing this because he knows his ex is opposed to it. Think of the kid, he's 4, there will be a good deal of pain and possibly psychological implications for him.
She got herself arrested. That is not wise when you have a child that young. Your child is dependent on you as a parent. I'm not suggesting that she can't have her opinion but don't put yourself in a position to go to jail for it, when you have a child that is dependent on you.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Totally not getting into the "c" debate...it says a lot about the father if he is demanding an elective procedure against the mother's will. Come on, pick your battles.
I agree. Its totally elective and IMO if one parent says no then that's what goes.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Especially since the kid is three years old. It should have been done when he was a newborn or not at all IMHO.

Agreed. That ship has sailed. Time for dad to move on.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
She got herself arrested. That is not wise when you have a child that young. Your child is dependent on you as a parent. I'm not suggesting that she can't have her opinion but don't put yourself in a position to go to jail for it, when you have a child that is dependent on you.
Some of us think our values and morals for our children are worth fighting for.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
This is genital mutilation and it has nothing to do with 'health"! It's hygiene and get your sons to push back their foreskins and wash their penis.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I have no idea where you get the notion that the 'biggest advocates' against circumcision are women.

This overview of the subject certainly does not put women front and center in opposing circumcision.
Circumcision controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So because they aren't featured in the wikipedia article then they aren't as active? That settles it. Wikipedia wins again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And this poll shows slightly more opposition of the practice from men, not women.
http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload...150202%20B.pdf

I would caution you that whatever groups are given the spotlight by a cable 'news' channel, or your favorite internet site, are less likely to be the 'biggest activists' but the ones that a program or blog thinks will generate the most viewers of page-hits.
I said activists, not having opposition.

I have been to multiple activists website from the biggest Intactivists in the country and they have just about all been women. I'm not saying that men don't support this, but it's ironic because men are often times shunned for having opinions on anything dealing with women's health, i.e. birth control, abortion, etc.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Male genital mutilation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events