Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It didn't actually cause your policy to go up, it caused your insurance company to have to stop selling you the policy you had that was not ACA compliant. I had the same thing, my own policy used to be $399 a month now it's $617, but it is a much better policy. To me everyone in a first world country should have access to insurance and health care. To me that is one of the things that makes a country "first world". Yes, it hurts, the increase, but again we would both have more options if the Repubs had allowed the public option that Obama wanted.
So, if I were to show you a better policy than that which cost you $1800 a month, you'd jump on it?

Is your TV is the new Samsung 110 inch LCD? I'm assuming you'd buy the best tv out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 03:26 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if I were to show you a better policy than that which cost you $1800 a month, you'd jump on it?

Is your TV is the new Samsung 110 inch LCD? I'm assuming you'd buy the best tv out there.
No to first question, as I can't afford it...but if I didn't make enough to afford my current policy, chances are I'd qualify for a subsidy. If I made too much for a subsidy AND couldn't pay for insurance, I'd look at my budgeting, because it would mean I'm spending too much somewhere else.
My TV is a 32" Toshiba my mom gave me 2 years ago when she moved to an ALF, the one before that was a $200 26" Daewoo I bought when I moved into my apartment 16 years ago. The one in the bedroom is a 14 year old 19" Sylvania with built in DVD player. My car is a '98 Acura that I bought 5 years old, 12 years ago, and has been paid off since 2008.

Because I don't indulge my inner child by buying a new TV or new car every 3 years, I can afford to have good health care, thank God. Again, I don't think a country that has citizens without access to health care can call itself a first world country. I am blessed and grateful I can afford my insurance, and happy that now others who need it can have it, too.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:17 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
This will be an interesting case indeed. See, everybody and I mean everybody, knows that the clause in question is an obvious drafting error. When read in context, everyone (including all the Republicans in Congress) knew what the law was intended to state back then.

But it has since become a bitter partisan battle. With the current SCOTUS, who knows which one of the Justices would be the swing vote in this case. If Justice Roberts upheld ACA's taxing power in the first case, I don't think he would invalidate a key feature of the ACA over a drafting error. But what do I know.

Ultimately, the Republican Governors who expanded Medicaid would cave and find a way to make the Federal Exchange "an exchange established by the state". Why wouldn't they, at this point. As for the rest, who knows and who cares.

Mick

Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
This will be interesting to watch. A "death spiral" and resulting chaos would be the likely results.

Perhaps even total collapse of the house of cards that US health care has become.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Democrats should have not passed a bill (much less read it) that limits subsidies to State run portals.

Blame this cluster on Democrats who wanted to force the states in cooperating in this catastrophe.
Bet they didn't think the states would say "Up yours".

Democrats got the law they wrote. Why do they want to change it now?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Democrats should have not passed a bill (much less read it) that limits subsidies to State run portals.

Blame this cluster on Democrats who wanted to force the states in cooperating in this catastrophe.
Bet they didn't think the states would say "Up yours".

Democrats got the law they wrote. Why do they want to change it now?
The catastrophe is yet to come. Should it fail to get past the SC then is when the real catastrophe hits. Health insurance companies will lose billions and some will fold, rates will then become so high no one can afford them, more insurance companies shut down. Hospital rates go up, failures there as well. Drug companies next. Followed by company provided health insurance as they will no longer be able to afford self-funding.

Should the above (the "death spiral") happen (which likely will) the GOP in congress will join the real world and agree to a real health plan or else they won't be in congress very long (especially if Medicare folds).

It will be interesting with an adverse ruling. Which long-term would be best for the country.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
If SCOTUS rules against the gov't subsidies for insurance that are on federal, not state, exchanges, I'd bet the farm that state legislators will find a damn quick way to fix the situation and bring it back at least close to the status quo. The idea that millions of Americans would be put at risk of losing their insurance -- maybe the first shot at decent health care they've ever had -- means that many of their constituents would make a HUGE stink about it. Obamacare is pretty much an entitlement now, even at this early stage of its existence. This, from a May, 2015 Kaiser Foundation poll:

A large majority of those in ACA-compliant plans, including three quarters (74 percent) of those with Marketplace coverage, rate their overall health insurance coverage as excellent or good. More than half also say their plan is an excellent or good value for what they pay for it, while about four in ten say the value is only fair or poor.Among those with Marketplace coverage, plan ratings are similar to 2014...

Survey of Non-Group Health Insurance Enrollees, Wave 2 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Even the GOP in Congress can see the writing on the wall. If the states wouldn't fix this then Congress would do so out of self-interest. The GOP doesn't want to go into an election year as the party that wrecked health care for millions. That is not a strategy designed to win the White House in 2016.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-26-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If SCOTUS rules against the gov't subsidies for insurance that are on federal, not state, exchanges, I'd bet the farm that state legislators will find a damn quick way to fix the situation and bring it back at least close to the status quo. The idea that millions of Americans would be put at risk of losing their insurance -- maybe the first shot at decent health care they've ever had -- means that many of their constituents would make a HUGE stink about it. Obamacare is pretty much an entitlement now, even at this early stage of its existence. This, from a May, 2015 Kaiser Foundation poll:

A large majority of those in ACA-compliant plans, including three quarters (74 percent) of those with Marketplace coverage, rate their overall health insurance coverage as excellent or good. More than half also say their plan is an excellent or good value for what they pay for it, while about four in ten say the value is only fair or poor.Among those with Marketplace coverage, plan ratings are similar to 2014...

Survey of Non-Group Health Insurance Enrollees, Wave 2 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Even the GOP in Congress can see the writing on the wall. If the states wouldn't fix this then Congress would do so out of self-interest. The GOP doesn't want to go into an election year as the party that wrecked health care for millions. That is not a strategy designed to win the White House in 2016.
Perhaps Congress will fix it or at least try to. But there are a lot of tea bagger idiots in Congress that will fight a fix of any kind to the very end.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The catastrophe is yet to come. Should it fail to get past the SC then is when the real catastrophe hits. Health insurance companies will lose billions and some will fold, rates will then become so high no one can afford them, more insurance companies shut down. Hospital rates go up, failures there as well. Drug companies next. Followed by company provided health insurance as they will no longer be able to afford self-funding.
I don't buy all the doom and gloom the system will collapse. There are to many smart people wanting to make money.

8 million people is a drop in the bucket to the other 300 million who are in the market for a reasonably priced policy.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I don't buy all the doom and gloom the system will collapse. There are to many smart people wanting to make money.

8 million people is a drop in the bucket to the other 300 million who are in the market for a reasonably priced policy.
Health care in this country is expensive. And so is the health insurance to cover health care.

The health insurance companies were in real trouble before ACA. I personally know of one BCBS that was on the verge of collapse pre-ACA. ACA is/was a gravy train for the insurance companies. Lots of new customers with fed subsidies included.

Without the subsidies the insurance companies will lose millions of customers and the billions generated with these new enrollments. And with major losses of these customers they'd have no choice but to raise rates for those remaining. But they will lose most of those because that will no longer be able to afford these increased premiums. That premium increase also affects those not receiving subsidies as well as those who had health insurance pre-ACA, most of them will have no choice but to drop their insurance as well.

And that starts the ripple thru the entire health care system.

There is no going back to the old way. It is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events