Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
If he's referring to the tease-effect of excessive T&A displayed in public, he has somewhat of a point. It's widely understood by men that yoga is a form of titillation, passed off as pure exercise. Indeed, yoga pants are making millions of women on the street virtually naked from the waist down. Women tend to see it differently but they must know the net effect.
It's no worse than the 1960's and 1970's but at least we don't have streaking or nude-ins. Sure dress cut are lower, jean shorts maybe just a little shorter but in general most fashion is about the same with some tweaks.

As a man who practices yoga, I don't see the titillation in it but I can understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
It's widely understood by men that yoga is a form of titillation, passed off as pure exercise. Indeed, "yoga pants" are making millions of women on the street virtually naked from the waist down. Women tend to see it differently but they must know the net effect.
Apples and oranges. The women wearing yoga pants on the street are not the ones who practice yoga.

Nor do the "men" (your term, I wouldn't call them that) who think yoga "is a form of titillation". Rather, they sit in their mothers' basements searching for and watching youtube yoga instruction videos. Not one has ever seen a real live woman practicing yoga. They're also titillated by track, pilates, gymnastic, ballet, etc., videos.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
How can one religion be the only 'true' one and other approaches/religions become 'false'? To each person, maybe their path is the true path for them.
Religions often make incompatible and irreconcilable claims. They can not all be true at the same time - assuming any of them are which I do not. Take Islam and Mormonism for example. Islam claims not just to be a revelation from a god - but the final revalation. There will be no others. Mormonism however claims there was a new textual revelation dictated by god after that of Gabriel to Mohammad.

Both of their claims can not be true. Each precludes the other entirely. From the perspective of myself as someone who sees no reason to think there even is a god in the first place - they would both appear to be false fantasy - but even ignoring that and assuming one of them is true - the other clearly can not be.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
So true. My son goes to a christian private school and the teachers and staff are some of the warmest loving people that I've ever met. They never once judged me for being a single mother or not going to church despite calling myself a christian. But when I meet the fanatic religious people Im always turned off-no matter what the religion is.

I will say that I grew up Christian like a lot of black folks but as I got older and sort of drifted into more eastern focused spirituality that is when I did yoga and practiced mediation. While there was never any religious talk when I practiced it the folks that did it with me also seemed to be those that like me were more into eastern inspired spirituality such as new age christianity, law of attraction, etc. In other words it sort of attracted people that were already immersed in a spiritual-but not necessarily religious-lifestyle. That's not to say Believers don't do yoga though. There is a certain embracement of the self and the mind that encourages you to think in a way that I could see might conflict with those religious fanatics. I don't practice yoga anymore and I'm slowly finding my way back to my roots for personal reasons but as a practice I don't see yoga as sinful if you avoid places and teachers that seem very new-agey and cult-like.

You go girl. I've never tried yoga but may take it up after I retire. I've never thought of it as anything but a form of exercise. As far as it being a spiritual experience I may have to go to Colorado and obtain something legal there and smoke it before it opens up my spiritual side. (You're nice please accept my friend request.)

Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Apples and oranges. The women wearing yoga pants on the street are not the ones who practice yoga.

Nor do the "men" (your term, I wouldn't call them that) who think yoga "is a form of titillation". Rather, they sit in their mothers' basements searching for and watching youtube yoga instruction videos. Not one has ever seen a real live woman practicing yoga. They're also titillated by track, pilates, gymnastic, ballet, etc., videos.
Well unless out is in pubic and the woman are wearing it for whatever reason. My ex did from time to time and we never did yoga. Working out sure, not yoga itself. She did wear them when not feeling like putting on pants to go out to a store. Even still, it is just a close and firm fitting cut.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:01 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Possibly, these are the people the Bishop should address.

Wonder why he has no problem with Daisy Duke shorts.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I am Protestant, not Catholic but there is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism so all believers in Christ are united in one body, the church. While you guys arrogantly mock and sneer at what the Catholic Bishop stated, he is right and you are wrong.

Yoga is a spiritual practice based originating from India and based on spiritual practices from their religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. Do your own research if you don't believe it. Yoga was introduced to the West in the 1800's and people were attracted to it because it was "exotic". It has over the last few decades became more popular. Most Americans practicing yoga have no idea of its spiritual roots or what they're opening themselves up to when they chant the names of the gods of those religions. Yoga is not just a simple set of physical exercises even if that is how it is introduced to you. The more advanced a person becomes in yoga the more they will be lead to tap into the spiritual dynamics of the false religions from which yoga is based. That will lead you further and further away from the true faith of Jesus Christ (although at least one poster has already proudly bragged about being a heathen) into spiritual darkness and deceit which is part and parcel of pagan worship also known as false religion(s).
Oh, for the love of... really?

Really? First, I seriously doubt your typical yoga studio is actually chanting the names of eastern gods. Second of all, "opening ourselves up" to evil things? What is this - Call of Cuthlu, where speaking the name of Hastur 3 times would draw the Elder God's attention? Gah... if religion is going to confuse reality with fantasy, is it any wonder people are leaving? And where, exactly, in the Bible, does it warn us against speaking the names of "other gods," Hastur, Great Old Ones, or anything else, lest we be "drawn down the dark path."

Second, if the biblical God offers so little protection to his followers that merely speaking the names of another diety "opens us to dark influences," than he must surely be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to divine power. Or, maybe this is yet another biblical example of "God loves you all and has infinite power, but isn't actually going to be bothered protecting you or doing a dang thing for you because... reasons..."

Finally, who are you - or anyone - say which religion is false? I'm sure those in the far east consider your religion false. What makes them wrong and you right? Your holy book? They also have them. Your upbringing? Same for them, just a different faith. Your supposed miracles, divine inspiration, or some other would-be encounter? They have them, too.

Nothing but personal opinions, fantasies, and delusions... and now we have church leaders worrying about yoga pants. Not the hungry, the poor, the suffering... no - yoga pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events