Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:50 AM

17,478 posts, read 15,059,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There are a number of different church groups that fit this problem one way or another. It’s easy to see the {cult like} activities and beliefs in several of them. Law enforcement doesn’t look into this matter often because they call themselves a religion and separation of government and religion.

However in this case, it has ruined a number of lives (children’s).
I was thinking the same thing reading through that.. Doesn't sound that much different from the Amish or Mennonites.

But.. Have you ever heard of a sex abuse scandal in either of those churches? Perhaps because they (at least the Amish) are so insulated from the real world, it happens and just isn't reported.. Mennonites, tho.. They do venture out into the world. More so than the Amish at least. So, you'd expect if it happens there, you'd hear stories about it. It would leak out.

Sex abuse seems to be fairly common through any religion.. Catholicism obviously has its problems with it.. It seems that when people hear about a 'strange' religion and sex abuse, it's "Oh, it's a sex abuse cult".. Obviously there have been some of them.. But, I don't think any moreso than 'normal' religions.

Why does it happen in 'standard' Christian-based religions more? Or at least seem to? Well, so far as I know, Amish and Mennonites have councils.. They don't have the one position of power like the catholics and the like. So, perhaps it goes towards a "absolute power corrupts absolutely" type thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,842,964 times
I thought the article was really well done. I am glad she wrote it. I do feel like she missed one point...fans of 19-kids haven't been laughing and pointing all along. People genuinely admired them.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:22 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,679,090 times
I have not once questioned if Jim Bob Duggar, or any his other sons, are sexual abusers as theres no evidence whatso ever to it. The article is interesting. I am Christian, and when I have watched the Duggars they appeared to also be Christians who just didnt watch TV or let their kids be alone on internet ect and homeschooled. Who also tried to keep their kids pure and did non-dating and no premarital touching. Also having a lot of children, they were able to provide though for them however especially financially. Which seemed fine, just not normal to American standards. I never really seen them as a cult, least on the TV shows. Some things talked about in the article I never seen from the Duggars. Michelle genuinely seems to be very happy having children and describe them as joy. The article makes it sound like she doesnt want this and is forced to produce babies, and how would that be known?

Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,808,451 times
Sexual predators hide in plain sight. They are all around you every day in our lives. This one happened to be on TV and from a large family who preached values. Others are in our school systems teaching, our churches, police departments, fire fighters, libraries, and even as our elected political representatives in Washington like (R) Dennis Hastert former House speaker. They’re hypocrites who hide in plain sight yet not part of a cult.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,842,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I have not once questioned if Jim Bob Duggar, or any his other sons, are sexual abusers as theres no evidence whatso ever to it. The article is interesting. I am Christian, and when I have watched the Duggars they appeared to also be Christians who just didnt watch TV or let their kids be alone on internet ect and homeschooled. Who also tried to keep their kids pure and did non-dating and no premarital touching. Also having a lot of children, they were able to provide though for them however especially financially. Which seemed fine, just not normal to American standards. I never really seen them as a cult, least on the TV shows. Some things talked about in the article I never seen from the Duggars. Michelle genuinely seems to be very happy having children and describe them as joy. The article makes it sound like she doesnt want this and is forced to produce babies, and how would that be known?
You never saw anything behind their eyes? Smiling faces...but the eyes tell the truth.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
And side hugs and how f'ing ridiculous was all that?

Old 05-30-2015, 07:53 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,311,700 times
The article was chilling. I wonder how many people are miserable in that group and have no resources to strike out on their own or even a solid understanding that they can leave.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,512,643 times
All this is so strange. Just about a month ago, I wrote on a post that I thought the Duggers were disgusting and I was told I had anger issues. Granted, I didn't know about the molestation, but I knew there was something wrong with them. I wonder how all the Dugger-like "Quiverful" families take care of all these kids without Dugger money. Also, I am wary of any religious movement that selectively shuns aspects of the modern world. The Duggers seemed to be more than okay with the money, fame, and influence they attained.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,512,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I was thinking the same thing reading through that.. Doesn't sound that much different from the Amish or Mennonites.

But.. Have you ever heard of a sex abuse scandal in either of those churches? Perhaps because they (at least the Amish) are so insulated from the real world, it happens and just isn't reported.. Mennonites, tho.. They do venture out into the world. More so than the Amish at least. So, you'd expect if it happens there, you'd hear stories about it. It would leak out.

Sex abuse seems to be fairly common through any religion.. Catholicism obviously has its problems with it.. It seems that when people hear about a 'strange' religion and sex abuse, it's "Oh, it's a sex abuse cult".. Obviously there have been some of them.. But, I don't think any moreso than 'normal' religions.

Why does it happen in 'standard' Christian-based religions more? Or at least seem to? Well, so far as I know, Amish and Mennonites have councils.. They don't have the one position of power like the catholics and the like. So, perhaps it goes towards a "absolute power corrupts absolutely" type thing?
Sex Abuse Case Shocks Amish Community - ABC News

this happened a while ago, but, unfortunately, this isn't unheard of in the amish community.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,219,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There are a number of different church groups that fit this problem one way or another. It’s easy to see the {cult like} activities and beliefs in several of them. Law enforcement doesn’t look into this matter often because they call themselves a religion and separation of government and religion.

However in this case, it has ruined a number of lives (children’s).
The lives of women and men have been ruined by religion too IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events