U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 PM

7,825 posts, read 5,459,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Manslaughter????
How about Dogslaughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:13 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,657,440 times
Quote:
Manslaughter????

Seriously?

For heaven's sake, they're dogs, not humans!

An unfortunate mistake, but a mistake nevertheless.
I think some people are saying that because if you were to hit the police dog you could be charged for assaulting an officer, the same charge as if it were a human officer.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM

1,136 posts, read 692,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Putting aside how much I love dogs, and how tragic this whole thing is, I think any criminal prosecution is going a bit overboard. I don't think anyone can assume that this officer intended to harm his dogs, and without that intent it becomes a matter of negligence and/or an accident. He may or may not justifiably lose his job, but I don't think it would be unfair for him to have to reimburse to taxpayers for the cost of the dogs & their training. He actually destroyed public owned police property, and at least should be held responsible for that.
I think he should be held to the same standard you and I would face if we accidentally killed a police dog.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,278,476 times
There are specific charges for killing a police dog
Criminal charges would require specific intent ... it might be a stretch to prove intent... there is no charge for gross negligence in relation to police dogs
There is cruelty to animals... again a specific intent crime
Same issues
Sad... and if any of the questions I asked in my original post are true then
Disgusting

But...there is process... and while none of us like it ..it is the same offered to any of you... except he will most likely lose his job if found guilty... by either a criminal court or a founded personnel unvestigation

Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 PM

922 posts, read 761,231 times
Quote:
Manslaughter????

Seriously?

Killing police dog, horse now a felony in Tennessee | WATE 6 On Your Side
Killing an on-duty police dog a felony in NY beginning Nov. 1 under law signed by Gov. Cuomo | syracuse.com
Federal Law Now Protects Canine Cops - ABC News

Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 PM

922 posts, read 761,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
ALL humans make mistakes...but most of the time we get away with them...how many times have I bent down for a split second in the car to pick up something I dropped while I was driving? Too many to count. I've been lucky, nothing's ever happened...but that .0000001% of the time, it does....the driver hits a pedestrian, or a tree, or the man half asleep after a 15 hour shift forgets his sleeping dogs are in the back...this could happen to any of us, and I believe that with all my heart. I do not think he should be charged if it truly was an accident. I feel the same about the poor parents who have forgotten their kids were in the car.

There was recently a thread about a commuter that remembered while he was on the train that his baby was in the car, and called 911. People in general were very forgiving of him. In this case it is no different, except he couldn't save them because he was sleeping versus riding in a train, yet people think he's a beast. I don't get it.

I'm not a cop booster, on every thread in Current Events about police shootings, I'm on the side of the protesters, my record is easy to find...but in this case I truly think he loved the dogs, you can see it in the pictures, and this was just a human being human but that resulted in tragedy.

Where do you get that he worked 15 hours? Night shift is usually 10pm-6am (8 hours).

Doesn't matter if the dogs were his buddies or just work partners..... cops are creatures of habit and go through the same routine day after day. Hard to imagine a 7 year K9 vet suddenly forgets that he owned dogs for 12+ hours. I have had dogs for many years and I can't go 5 minutes without wondering where my dogs are if they aren't with me.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM

17,343 posts, read 14,867,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Where do you get that he worked 15 hours? Night shift is usually 10pm-6am (8 hours).

Doesn't matter if the dogs were his buddies or just work partners..... cops are creatures of habit and go through the same routine day after day. Hard to imagine a 7 year K9 vet suddenly forgets that he owned dogs for 12+ hours. I have had dogs for many years and I can't go 5 minutes without wondering where my dogs are if they aren't with me.
It said he worked a 12 hour shift, but then a poster a page or two ago said he worked a few hours overtime. Even if it was less, 12 hours, it doesn't change it for me.

So what are you implying? That he did it on purpose? For what reason? You can see in the pictures of them in the pool with him that he had a good relationship with them.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM

4,238 posts, read 6,201,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It said he worked a 12 hour shift, but then a poster a page or two ago said he worked a few hours overtime. Even if it was less, 12 hours, it doesn't change it for me.

So what are you implying? That he did it on purpose? For what reason? You can see in the pictures of them in the pool with him that he had a good relationship with them.
I think what he means is that as a dog owner you know you have to keep an eye on your pets. I know I have to take my dog out before going to bed. I know I have to take my dog out when I wake up. I know I check on my dog when I wake up in the middle of the night because he likes to get into trouble.

The officer should have had some sort of daily routine with his dogs. Feeding, walking etc. I cannot imagine coming home and just suddenly forget to take care of my dog.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 PM

906 posts, read 594,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I think he should be held to the same standard you and I would face if we accidentally killed a police dog.
Exactly

Old 05-30-2015, 12:53 PM

27,356 posts, read 15,077,511 times
Quote:
Manslaughter????

Seriously?

You should see the pageantry that goes on here when a police dog dies. Recently one was put down due to ill health and old age and he had a police procession to the Vet's office; they lined up to salute the poor thing as he was being led into the office; civilians lined the streets to salute all the way to the Vet's and all the way back after he was euthanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or