Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times

Advertisements

After reading the article it seems that the conclusions drawn are that people surveyed rely less on religion, prayer and 'organized religion' than those in the past.

I would like to see the actual questions posted in the survey to confirm the summary findings.

Religion and Faith are two different things. People may be tired or not interested in churches, organizations, dogma, and coordinated church events but may still retain a belief system even if they retain independence.

Then the picture with the note saying 'there is no God' but the narrative did not say that any question asked Is there a God and got back a majority saying there is no God.

So I am skeptical of this survey on several levels.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Wait until Islam dominates the US then your Grandkids will be forced to be religious.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:05 PM

969 posts, read 825,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The "trend" is like an incomplete graph. 1920's-down, 1930's-down, 1940's-down, 1950's-down, 1960's down, 1970's-up------"OMG, what does this mean?" Statistically, it means nothing. In order for the "trend" to be meaningful, it has to continue to the next decade. The decade that wasn't sampled. No one born after 1979 was sampled. So you can't say anything about them. You can't say whether or not they continue the "trend". Anything you deign to conjecture outside of that is just speculative and/or wishful thinking.
Under the HAPC demographic model, it's not the time-frame that determines statistical significance, but the quality and quantity of data nested within the cohorts. If you disagree, you're going to have to come up with better arguments than you've given above.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Under the HAPC demographic model, it's not the time-frame that determines statistical significance but the quality and quantity of sample data nested within the cohorts.
Yes....and...

By referring to this study on THIS thread (the thread about teens in 2015), you are trying to extrapolate some sort of statistical "trend" that applies to teens in 2015. But the limitations of the study are what they are, no one was sampled who was born after 1979. There is NO statistical model which allows you to speak about the religiosity of teens in 2015 by using statistics that don't include teens, or even today's twenty-somethings.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 PM

424 posts, read 381,648 times
Who cares? Nobody should be surprised by this, as society advances more and more people will advance with it and evolve from the old ideas. It's their choice and who are we to judge them on what they believe (or don't believe).

Old 05-29-2015, 03:18 PM

969 posts, read 825,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes....and...

By referring to this study on THIS thread (the thread about teens in 2015), you are trying to extrapolate some sort of statistical "trend" that applies to teens in 2015. But the limitations of the study are what they are, no one was sampled who was born after 1979. There is NO statistical model which allows you to speak about the religiosity of teens in 2015 by using statistics that don't include teens, or even today's twenty-somethings.
Let me remind you what I actually said: "I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture."

I'm not extrapolating any trend from one study to the other.

I'm looking abductively for an independent explanation that explains both study findings.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM

424 posts, read 381,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wait until Islam dominates the US then your Grandkids will be forced to be religious.
???? Less than 5% of people in the US are Muslims, and even if somehow the religion expanded so much that it became the majority, there is still the first amendment.....

Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM

238 posts, read 227,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Islam is a religion. Once again, assuming everyone not Christian is not religious. This is one of the big problems with religion - if it's not YOUR faith, it doesn't count.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Let me remind you what I actually said: "I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture."

I'm not extrapolating any trend from one study to another.

I'm looking abductively for an independent explanation that explains both study findings.
Yes, you wondered if it's possible to tie two studies together. And I answered that question by pointing out that the two studies are too far apart in terms of sampling to be tied together.

You can try to bludgeon us all with long words and convoluted sentences, but you cannot tie together a study whose samples include no one born after 1979 with another study whose sample was teenagers in 2015.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:23 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some people are just so prejudiced and wrong. Teenagers are getting away from religion because they know the difference between fantasy and reality.
You can deride religion and call it fantasy all you want, but even if you are a non believer, isn't society better off with structure and a blueprint for positive social behavior?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events