U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,948,718 times

Advertisements

[quote=sheena12;39824851]

My guess it that she bailed because she was POOR.
quote]

How is that the cab driver's problem whatsoever. If she's too POOR to afford paying for a cab, she probably shouldn't have picked up the phone and CALLED a cab.

That'd be like me calling the plumber because my sink is leaking and when he's done fixing it, my response is "sorry bro, I'm POOR" or calling out for delivery and when you've got the food in your hands, telling the driver "sorry bro, I'm POOR."

People need to take some responsibility for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:58 AM

30,029 posts, read 16,607,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The point people seem to be missing is that this woman:

ALREADY PAID THE MONEY BACK

PLUS 3 DAYS COMMUNITY SERVICE

PLUS $50

AND IS ON 4 MONTHS PROBATION.

And why are we assuming that she makes more then the cabbie?

MAYBE. Or maybe not. She will surely hope that next time she doesn't get a judge trying to make a name for himself.
Yeah; I didn't think the punishment was too bad until I saw the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
His intent was NOT to punish her to 'exercise' -- she rode a cab 30 miles, then jumped out and refused to pay the cabby. She basically stole the cab's service. I would have fined her the cab fee + court fees + $100 extra cash for the cabbie to make up for her nonsense and irresponsibility. Due within 24 hours to the Clerk of Court.

However, he gave her the option to walk that 30 miles that she took a cab for, then refused to pay. It is a fair punishment. Hell, I may even walk those miles instead of paying fees out the behind too. Definitely would walk it instead of being locked up for 60 days.

You got it twisted, vincent.
Do we really want Judge's getting too creative here? I don't think jail time should even have been on the table unless she has done this multiple times.

Maybe she could wear a hair shirt or 'sackcloth and ashes'.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 7 days ago)

8,135 posts, read 5,818,135 times
IMO...It should have been 3 options: Jail, walk the miles or make her pay the fee plus interest and fine.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,051,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah; I didn't think the punishment was too bad until I saw the above.

Do we really want Judge's getting too creative here? I don't think jail time should even have been on the table unless she has done this multiple times.

Maybe she could wear a hair shirt or 'sackcloth and ashes'.
Remember: she did CHOOSE that option, Ringo. Its not like it was forced on her. 60 days in jail or walk 30 miles. What able-bodied person wouldn't start walking? Gimme my Nike's and a water bottle, man... headin' OUT!

Its about the same as community service. Community Service makes people WORK (sometimes very hard, in the hot summer sun) to make up for their wrongdoings.

As I said before -- I would have thought the court would've also given her the option to pay fees + fine + some extra cash to make cabbie happy as well. That's the punishment most people in this situation would have received.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:10 PM

96 posts, read 66,319 times
Default what is a tip for a trip like that?

I mean she was gong to tip right?

Old 05-31-2015, 02:37 PM

30,029 posts, read 16,607,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Remember: she did CHOOSE that option, Ringo. Its not like it was forced on her. 60 days in jail or walk 30 miles. What able-bodied person wouldn't start walking? Gimme my Nike's and a water bottle, man... headin' OUT!

Its about the same as community service. Community Service makes people WORK (sometimes very hard, in the hot summer sun) to make up for their wrongdoings.

As I said before -- I would have thought the court would've also given her the option to pay fees + fine + some extra cash to make cabbie happy as well. That's the punishment most people in this situation would have received.
Remember, Goddess, she had already DONE her community service.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 PM

53 posts, read 48,466 times
REALLY wish more judges did this kind of thing. And I REALLY REALLY wish they had license to "let the punishment fit the crime" a lot mmore fittingly when it comes to child abuse and animal neglect/cruelty!!!! The things that are done to beings who can't speak for themselves is so horrendous, maybe knowing you'll get that back yourself -- and maybe many times over -- MIGHT actually do a lot towards stopping a lot of it.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,720,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. This is not the 17th century. What's next? The stocks? Wearing signs around ones neck?

Oh wait...draconian judges have already done that...

My guess it that she bailed because she was POOR.

Just love seeing our country moving backwards...
So you would have been ok with the 60 days and no other option?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:06 PM

274 posts, read 250,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
For you maybe. We don't even know what this woman's health is like and neither does the judge.
She didn't seem to have a problem running from the taxi driver.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 PM

922 posts, read 826,214 times
The same judge sentenced another woman to pepper spray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNH88Mp76ts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or