Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:10 PM

19,777 posts, read 12,021,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Years ago my house caught fire and I passed out from all the smoke and my cat dragged me outside,gave me mouth to mouth and saved my life. He was awarded The Dickin's Medal, the highest award given to an animal and a lifetime supply of canned tuna. Does this story sound fishy ?
I think you are full of carp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:44 PM

2,400 posts, read 3,632,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Years ago my house caught fire and I passed out from all the smoke and my cat dragged me outside,gave me mouth to mouth and saved my life. He was awarded The Dickin's Medal, the highest award given to an animal and a lifetime supply of canned tuna. Does this story sound fishy ?
Holy mackeral.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:51 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,898,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Holy mackeral.
No, it's Holy Catfish!!!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 AM

163 posts, read 124,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden
What's scary is that human mouths are even worse!
I don't see how, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn
Years ago my house caught fire and I passed out from all the smoke and my cat dragged me outside...
Sounds like a fluke.

Last edited by calculator; 05-31-2015 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: changed a quote

Old 05-31-2015, 07:47 PM

22,620 posts, read 24,462,056 times
Wonder if the poor lady in this story has a weakened immune system???

Old 05-31-2015, 07:54 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,781,218 times
I had a kitten that shredded a curtain and was strangled in the shreds. I got home from work in time to find the kitten still alive. I gave her mouth to mouth and she lived for 22 years.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 AM

88,262 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Wonder if the poor lady in this story has a weakened immune system???
Not necessarily. My sister-in-law was bitten in the hand by her own cat when she was playing with it. The cat, which lived indoors, had gotten into a fight a month or so before through their screened-in porch with another cat, and they think something was passed at that point.

She went to the ER, which bandaged up her hand--a mistake, since you are not supposed to close up a bite wound, which probably made it worse.

Long story short, the infection travelled, and her arm was so swollen she ended up in the hospital. They had to put the cat down and send samples of it to the CDC to identify what bacteria it might have. Not only was cat scratch fever present, there was some other rare bacteria present that cats carry that required a daily IV antibiotic at $600 a dose. She was in the hospital for three weeks. Her husband said what shocked him most was after the first couple of days at the hospital, the doctor said, "I think I've saved her life. I'm just hoping I can still save the arm."

Animals carry diseases and bacteria and we don't always know what is present. However, we can be careful. I have cats and I see them lick their own butts. I wouldn't let one lick my eye.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,955,749 times
But if her cat made her blind, who is she going to sue?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,517,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Cats' mouths are absolutely filthy. Much more bacteria and crap than dogs' mouths. It's unwise to let cats lick any orifices or broken skin.
Really?

I did a little Google searching and came up with the following:

https://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/200...ects/J1311.pdf

Quote:
Dogs had an average of 53 bacteria colonies grow in the nutrient dish, cats had an average of 16 colonies, and humans had an average of 5 colonies.
Who's mouth is cleaner dog or cat

Quote:
The average cat mouth has about 16-18 different types of bacteria, while the dog mouth has over 60 different types.
https://prezi.com/g912i2fd85r8/whos-mouth-is-cleaner/

If you look at the petri dishes, the dog's is by far the worst. They labeled it as "melting with bacteria".

-----------

For me, it comes down to this. I see dogs eating feces fairly often, so I'd rather not have them lick me on the face and I wash my hands after playing with them. Cat's don't lick me, but I wash my hands after petting them as well.

If you are bitten by either animal, you are more likely to get an infection from the cat due to the cat's fangs being sharper and more likely to penetrate the skin and "inject" bacteria into the blood stream.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:56 PM

22,620 posts, read 24,462,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not necessarily. My sister-in-law was bitten in the hand by her own cat when she was playing with it. The cat, which lived indoors, had gotten into a fight a month or so before through their screened-in porch with another cat, and they think something was passed at that point.

She went to the ER, which bandaged up her hand--a mistake, since you are not supposed to close up a bite wound, which probably made it worse.

Long story short, the infection travelled, and her arm was so swollen she ended up in the hospital. They had to put the cat down and send samples of it to the CDC to identify what bacteria it might have. Not only was cat scratch fever present, there was some other rare bacteria present that cats carry that required a daily IV antibiotic at $600 a dose. She was in the hospital for three weeks. Her husband said what shocked him most was after the first couple of days at the hospital, the doctor said, "I think I've saved her life. I'm just hoping I can still save the arm."

Animals carry diseases and bacteria and we don't always know what is present. However, we can be careful. I have cats and I see them lick their own butts. I wouldn't let one lick my eye.

Yeah, I got bit on the wrist by a cat. A pronounced and painful lump appeared on the bite area.......and it took a LONG time for the bitten-area to return to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events