Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Society will NOT always pay you the value of your labor- that's the problem!

I'm considered among the top 1% in my field, yet I make less money than I did 15 years ago- for twice the work (no exaggeration, either).

Why- because I have no leverage to negotiate for more.

This issue effects us all.
Apparently you are in a field where the difference between someone during a competent job and one doing a superlative one is negligible so employers are unwilling to pay anything extra for your expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Apparently you are in a field where the difference between someone during a competent job and one doing a superlative one is negligible so employers are unwilling to pay anything extra for your expertise.
Do you mean like the 750 IT workers in Southern California who were just replaced by H1B workers from India? Disneyland laid off 250 and told them to train their replacements before they packed up the stuff in their desk, at the same time Southern California Edison handed out the first of 500 pink slips to their IT staff. Silly people why in the world would they have ever thought that IT would be a good field to work in

Old 06-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well it would be important for us to know the details rather than just the outline. Was there a union involved which demanded high salaries?
Was management paying a reasonable wage to them but decided to cut costs to the bone to improve the bottom line?

Another words, some of the time it is the workers (via their union) which drive companies to hire cheaper labor, or move their business overseas.

For example Penn Tennis balls were the last American company to still manufacture balls here in America. They wanted to keep their plant here in America, and asked the employees to give a salary concession.
Yet the employees refused, assuming it was a bluff. Sadly it was not a bluff, and Penn moved their operation overseas.
In that case it was clearly the employees fault.

Other times companies get too greedy and insist on cutting costs to the bone every year, which will lead to employees getting left with the short end of the stick.

`
Look it up yourself, there was no union involved, if there had been a union they probably couldn't have done it because union contracts generally have a clause preventing exactly what happened to these folks. These people were replaced because H1B workers are cheaper, it's that simple... Are you really going to dig yourself a hole trying to justify those people losing their jobs?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
OP needs to change the title of this thread to something like this:

You can't rent a one-bedroom apartment anywhere in America that's popular with Movie Stars, Pro Athletes, Artistes, Hipsters, Rich Retirees, Investment Bankers, and Etc. on a minimum wage job.

That would be more accurate. Lots of over-minimum wage jobs going begging in Fly-Over Country where the cost of living is much lower. One can even survive there on a minimum wage job.

^^^ This. Plus, if you can't make it on your "minimum wage" job, why not go apply at Walmart? They are hiring in many parts of the country. And they start out at least at $9.00 an hour, which is at least $1.75/hr. ABOVE the current Federal minimum wage. And if you stay there and become a stable employee, you get raises. Now, am I saying that $12 an hour or $14 an hour is a high-paid job? No, but that isn't the point of this thread. The point is that $12 or $14 an hour is WELL ABOVE minimum wage.

Your typical minimum wage job is usually filled by a high school student in Summer. I get sick and tired of hearing people who say they make minimum wage and complain about it, and then you find out they make, for example, $10, or even $12 an hour. That isn't minimum wage. But most people just like to complain.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Your typical minimum wage job is usually filled by a high school student in Summer. I get sick and tired of hearing people who say they make minimum wage and complain about it, and then you find out they make, for example, $10, or even $12 an hour. That isn't minimum wage. But most people just like to complain.
While it was true 20 or 30 years ago that minimum wage jobs were filled by kids, that no longer is true.
The average age of affected workers is 35 years old;
88 percent of all affected workers are at least 20 years old;
35.5 percent are at least 40 years old;
56 percent are women;
28 percent have children;
55 percent work full-time (35 hours per week or more);
44 percent have at least some college experience.

Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think: 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20, One Third Are Over 40 | Economic Policy Institute

Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Nope.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,664 times
minimum wage is a starting wage. for an individual who is just entering the workforce for the first time.

as in-teenagers or illegal immigrants.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
minimum wage is a starting wage. for an individual who is just entering the workforce for the first time.

as in-teenagers or illegal immigrants.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
While it was true 20 or 30 years ago that minimum wage jobs were filled by kids, that no longer is true.
The average age of affected workers is 35 years old;
88 percent of all affected workers are at least 20 years old;
35.5 percent are at least 40 years old;
56 percent are women;
28 percent have children;
55 percent work full-time (35 hours per week or more);
44 percent have at least some college experience.

Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think: 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20, One Third Are Over 40 | Economic Policy Institute

Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
In what U.S. city would it require a "20 mile or longer" walk to a library? That makes no sense.

I doubt there is any major U.S. inner city where the nearest library is more than 2 miles away.

It's pretty sad that people find all these excuses. If you want to find every excuse in the book, yeah, you will stay poor. If you want to find opportunities, though, then you'll likely rise out of poverty.
Exactly when did we limit job seekers to major inner cities? You are the one who makes no sense. Do you not think that people in the suburbs or (gasp!) even the country need jobs?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:28 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella blu View Post
Have you ever thought about buying or renting a trailer. I have lived in one for 14 years and they are very comfortable. I pay 300.00 / month lot rent plus utilities. Very reasonable. I have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths.
Yeah, I guess, but you live near Ferguson MO which has a crime problem, and which has few jobs beyond minimum wage. Plus you're in Tornado Alley. Plus I imagine the electric bill for hot summers and cold winters would be quite high, especially in a poorly insulated trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events