Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM

148 posts, read 131,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So what's the answer?

We've tried tax cuts for the wealthy and they are not magically creating jobs for everyone.

We've tried 0% interest rates from the fed and quantitative easing and that's not helping.

We've tried government programs like the war on poverty, new deal, etc... and that's not helping.

As macabre as it may be, a great power war with China might be a good thing for our job situation.
You're right. There will be a ton of job openings as we will all be dead in a year. Nuclear bombs aren't a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:37 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
You're right. There will be a ton of job openings as we will all be dead in a year. Nuclear bombs aren't a joke.
We dropped firebombs on Germany as well as firebombs AND atomic bombs on Japan. They were two of our strongest competitors prior to WWII and we took them out for a generation.

Obviously I'm being facetious here but a little bit serious in that it may be the only hope.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:49 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
At 55 now, I feel that myself and the other late stage baby-boomers are at real risk of getting scr ewed big time.
We're going to hit retirement (if we can afford to retire) -- 8-12 years from now.
Who even KNOWS what the economic. health care, and social fabric situation will be.

Oh, I can IMAGINE what it will be....and it's NOT pretty for us....especially for those who'll be at retirement age.
Younger people in their 30s and 40's certainly will face more change than we will. But perhaps they also have more options to cope and survive.

There's already talk of raising the Medicare age and means testing SS so people of a certain income don't get it (even though they've paid in.)

But aside even from that.....will the SOCIAL fabric of the country be such that to be safe even middle class/income people will live in gated communities. I am NOT a chicken little -- but I DO not doubt we could see a day when mobs carry torches in the streets. Now we pay for TV, computers, Internet, and cell phones our grandparents didn't have.......what happens when ordinary people have to pay for their own SECURITY just to get to work.

You think I've seen to many commercials for the Mad Max movie....you think tensions won't grow between the have and have nots -- AND that some won't intentionally EXPLOIT that for THEIR gain....think again.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM

186 posts, read 220,065 times
Dropping my two cents into this thread, not sure if this was discussed already however the key to growth is consumer spending. That is an economic fact, if the consumer does not have disposable income the market will stagnate and decline. Disposable income is anything left over after you paid bills and stashed away a little in your savings.

Currently companies are hoarding their profits and the only people who see any returns from profits are exces and shareholders. The typical employee does not see anything change in his or her pay

That money needs to be distributed through the workforce in forms of either raises or bonuses. While bonuses sound good, a raise would be better as employee would be able to get more out of debt which then frees up more disposable income.

Tax breaks do not create jobs, if I have a company that sells T-shirts and I sell 40 shirts a month and I hear someone say I will give you more money because that will create jobs, I won't argue with him over that logic. I say yes but that does not change the fact i still sell 40 shirts a month. All this extra cash is just profit which I wouldn't spend because the core business is not doing any better I would just stash it away for the future. Why would I add on an extra expense of an employee when again this tax break is not allowing me to sell more shirts to justify taking on additional employees. So tax breaks for business does not = job growth. The only thing that creates jobs is consumer spending so there needs to more emphasis on getting more money into the hand of the consumer. More money into low income, middle income households.

Raise the tax on these corporations, promote more spending on infrastructure, new rail lines etc, govt can create jobs as well to get more money into the hands of the consumer which in turn creates more spending and more taxes to be collected and the cycle will improve

Ok my two cents .. feel free to correct me on any points that might be incorrect

Old 06-01-2015, 01:28 PM

186 posts, read 220,065 times
Baby boomers messed up the country .. it will be the millennials (my generation ) who will be the ones to fix it.
Baby boomers were given the golden key and all they had to do was do the right thing, but instead, greed and corruption destroyed what their fathers gave them after the war. They grew selfish and about self rather than about the collective as whole

Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
Just look at the classifieds section of any newspaper in the country or Craigslist and see how many openings there are for blue collar workers with skills (ie, welders, plumbers, heavy equipment operators, truck drivers, etc). Many of these jobs are starting at $40/hour with full benefits and promise of higher wages and management positions and they STILL can't find workers to fill the spots. It's because Fox News looks down on these kinds of hard-working people --- call them "takers" and not "creators" like CEO's and wealthy entrepeneurs.

You really do have to blame the right-wingers for this downward spiral in the American economy. All the Bush tax cuts for the upper 1% have beaten us into protecting the "job creators" at all costs for fear of another major depression. Just remember that Mitt Romney was famous for saying "corporations are people, too" and that's why multi-billion dollar companies like Apple and Facebook haven't paid a SINGLE PENNY in taxes for the past 10 years because of all the Republican loopholes for them. Why else do you think Wall Street investment bankers are rolling in record commissions and profits right now and are desperately seeking high-end prostitutes at $1,000/hour while the other 99% of us can barely afford the healthcare premiums, mortgage payments and community college tuition for our kids, hmm?

Vote for Hillary in 2016 and support the unions or else the GOP is really going to destroy America once and for all. Santorum wants to triple defense spending and immediately halt all Medicare, Medicaid and SS payments until "further review" by his administration should he win the election! This is REALLY scary stuff coming from the Republican talking heads.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Hillary's husband signed NAFTA which allowed factory jobs to be moved to Mexico.....Union jobs.....

Old 06-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Look the bottom line is, if you look to politicians to get us out of this mess then youll be sadly defeated. Politicians work for corporations. You and I are responsible for this economy. Every time you buy something from a company that pays its employees minimum wage, youre hurting America. Every time you buy from a company that contaminates the environment, youre hurting our childrens future. Everytime you spend a dollar, it has an affect on your neighbor. Get that through your head and youll realize whats wrong with our Country.

We want cheap S and then complain when we get laid off.....come on Murica.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
M.A.D. is very real. Nobody will ever use nukes again. Politicians cant rule a radioactive planet/Nation. They all know this and fear nukes just as much as people did in the 50s.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,528 times
Yes, I live in DC but Im not privileged nor a government worker. Jobs are plentiful here. Jobs everywhere, everyones hiring. The problem is that the concentration of people highly qualified - at least on paper - is so dense, that the competition for those jobs is monstrous to break through. So even with job creation at a peak, the number of people qualified for them, degreed and experienced, is also at a high. And you still end up with lots of people with no job and not for a lack of trying nor job availability.

But almost everyone has a job, so things are fine. This is capitalism, and its not sustainable because eventually there isnt enough capital to go around for everyone to capitalize on to make ends meet. Eventually we go back to simpler ways of living, fishing, homebuilding, and only valuing the most important occupations to humanity, which are medicine, engineering, biology, aeronautics, ronotics, and humanitarian and educational causes.Secretaries and accountants and policy analysts will be the back of the line.

Not everyones gonna fill those jobs, either. I think in the distant future, most people will be proficient at everything. The very concept of "job" will be a thing of the past. Most people will know how to do things on their own that now people have to be hired for because we're not that intelligent yet.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 06-01-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 04:21 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
1. What is this sense of entitlement about how business owners and corporations must create jobs on your behalf? Corporations are created under state law. They are not people (no Citizens United jokes please), so humans have to make decisions on its half. The board of directors is mandated by state law to maximize shareholder value. No exceptions. What this means, then, is that corporations exist solely to maximize profit for the shareholders.

They are not here to improve the working conditions, increase wages, hire more people, etc., unless taking those actions would ultimately improve the bottom line for the shareholders in some way or fashion. So let's not even pretend they have some type of social or moral obligations - if you want that to happen, state legislatures would have to change the law first. Good luck with that.

2. Along those lines, the owners (or shareholders acting through the board) of a business are not going to hire more people just because they get tax incentives - the deal with the government has to require such hiring by its terms. Without an explicit deal, the owners would keep all the financial benefit and hire no one, unless they feel that the hiring would allow them to realize more profit through leverage, economies of scale, etc.

3. I agree that it is very difficult to get a "respectable" college degree at night while being a single parent with small children and no relatives nearby to help. It might be impossible. A lot of people fell into the trap of borrowing tens of thousands of dollars to pay for an online, for-profit college degree, which is basically worthless (or at least, not worth the cost) in the real world. Let's not pretend that is piece of cake for those types of folks.

4. While trying to change the world for the better is a laudable goal for community action and social awareness, at the end of the day, you can't wait for something to be done for you. No one gives a poop about you. It's incumbent on you to go get it now at all costs for your own sake and for that of your family. You only live once, excuses will sound pretty lame on your deathbed.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events