Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:14 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times

Advertisements

HERE'S A BEAR BREAKING INTO A CAR SUCCESSFULY. Some bears make a living out of this in yellowstone.
I love the people just filming this animal outside their car like there's no danger. Too many disney movies and the idea that predatory animals are "good" and won't attack unless provoked. Nonsense of course. Oh and it's of course a white person. You NEVER see a brother(black guy) getting near a dangerous animal like that. Granted a black bear is WAY WAY less dangerous than a lion and way less likely to attack, but it's still a 400 pound predator that has in rare instances killed and ate people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnGe9HDGBI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 PM

This is how you safely view animals. If owned a safari park, I would never let people bring their own cars in. I'd have special safety vehicles with bars to drive people around with guides.

Just my 2 cents. 4 people attacked in 4 months at that SAME lion park. Enough said.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
HERE'S A BEAR BREAKING INTO A CAR SUCCESSFULY. Some bears make a living out of this in yellowstone.
I love the people just filming this animal outside their car like there's no danger. Too many disney movies and the idea that predatory animals are "good" and won't attack unless provoked. Nonsense of course. Oh and it's of course a white person. You NEVER see a brother(black guy) getting near a dangerous animal like that. Granted a black bear is WAY WAY less dangerous than a lion and way less likely to attack, but it's still a 400 pound predator that has in rare instances killed and ate people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnGe9HDGBI
Another story along those lines. On the news they showed some people driving through a wildlife safari place. They hadn't locked their car. Along came a curious female lion and proceeded to just pull down on the handle and open the car door. She backed off when the people inside began screaming and throwing things. The lion was just curious which was fortunate for the people who had been told to lock their car.

As all this was happening, one person in the car said "I didn't know lions could do that!"

Really? Why do you think the park rangers tell you to LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS! It isn't because a lion might steal your belongings. Cats are clever big and small. I have had cats who could open any closed door or cabinet with their paws.

Regarding closed windows being a deterrent, I think they are. Again using the domestic cat as an example, when my windows are closed my cat isn't nearly as interested in the squirrel she see outside. She will look but that's about it. When it's open and there is only a screen between them, she will become much more interested. With no barrier, she would be out the window in two seconds flat.

I think the windows rolled up in a car prevents the animals from seeing clearly what is on the other side as well as blocks a good deal of the scent of what's there. An open window on the other hand is an open invitation.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Another story along those lines. On the news they showed some people driving through a wildlife safari place. They hadn't locked their car. Along came a curious female lion and proceeded to just pull down on the handle and open the car door. She backed off when the people inside began screaming and throwing things. The lion was just curious which was fortunate for the people who had been told to lock their car.

As all this was happening, one person in the car said "I didn't know lions could do that!"

Really? Why do you think the park rangers tell you to LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS! It isn't because a lion might steal your belongings. Cats are clever big and small. I have had cats who could open any closed door or cabinet with their paws.
I'll be honest. Before seeing that video I didn't think a lion could figure out how to operate a door handle. I knew they could break into a locked car, but not actually use a door handle! I knew a monkey could do that, but no a lion.

It's not like this is common sense stuff to think a lion could open a door handle. Lots of room for error. A car is definitely a deterrent though obviously. It confuses the animal, thus the curiosity by the lion in that video.

Bears in yellowstone WILL steal your belongings if you leave food in the car. They can smell it and many make a living being yogi and stealing picnic baskets out of locked cars. They can force open a trunk they're so strong. They don't pick locks, they bend sheet metal and rip the entire trunk open. Imagine that coming at you? And these people are just standing around while a bear who clearly has ZERO fear of people is breaking into that car!?

Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Turns out the woman killed was special effects editor for Game of Thrones.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Yes there are humans serial killers who kill people for fun. Less than 1% And yes unfortunately humans are predators who have evolved from other predators and that's why SOME can be so vicious. It's the predator in us.(just look at the way chimps act. Savages). Thankfully most people are not like that.

I go to the zoo. If a lion killed me or my family I'd want it put down. Having an animal like that on display is ridiculous.

We put down dogs because we have no home for them when they've done nothing wrong, but worried about putting down a lion after it kills someone? We hunt lions for sport, but we won't put down an animal that has torn someone apart? The lion was NOT defending itself. It saw an opening to attack and kill someone. Killer instinct.

I'm just calling a beast a beast. That's what it is.

I value my family over a lion. I value people over a lion. It's just an animal, but the lunatic fringe wants to believe humans are bad and animals are good.
The girl was an activist for wildlife conservation and to end the killing of wild animals by poachers. Putting the lion down would be a mockery of her life and what was important to her. If it were your daughter, you would want this even though you'd know she'd be passionately against it?

It wasn't a zoo, it was a wild animal park. Wild animals are vicious, this lion is no different than any other there, should they kill them all? How about the cheetahs and the hippos and everything else that might hurt someone?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The girl was an activist for wildlife conservation and to end the killing of wild animals by poachers. Putting the lion down would be a mockery of her life and what was important to her. If it were your daughter, you would want this even though you'd know she'd be passionately against it?

It wasn't a zoo, it was a wild animal park. Wild animals are vicious, this lion is no different than any other there, should they kill them all? How about the cheetahs and the hippos and everything else that might hurt someone?
That lion being put down has ZERO effect on conservation. ZERO. It's an individual captive animal in a park relying on humans providing food. And there's plenty of lions in the world anyway.

Yes, if it kills someone they should absolutely should kill the cheetah(which almost NEVER attack humans) or hippos. And honestly I could careless if wild tigers/lions remained in the wild especially in areas of human habitation outside of national parks. They kill villagers all the time. They're a horrible vicious animal. Yes I'm perfectly familiar with balance. Nature would simply find a new balance especially considering every animal will eventually go extinct anyway.

In the wild, once a big cat tastes human flesh and realizes how easy we are to kill they start targeting people. Numerous instances of this. They have the ability to learn.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
That lion being put down has ZERO effect on conservation. ZERO. It's an individual captive animal in a park relying on humans providing food. And there's plenty of lions in the world anyway.

Yes, if it kills someone they should absolutely should kill the cheetah(which almost NEVER attack humans) or hippos. And honestly I could careless if wild tigers/lions remained in the wild especially in areas of human habitation outside of national parks. They kill villagers all the time. They're a horrible vicious animal. Yes I'm perfectly familiar with balance. Nature would simply find a new balance especially considering every animal will eventually go extinct anyway.

In the wild, once a big cat tastes human flesh and realizes how easy we are to kill they start targeting people. Numerous instances of this. They have the ability to learn.
The effect doesn't matter, the point is there is no need to dishonor a girl who was tragically killed, by then killing the very thing she was devoting herself to protecting. What would be the point except to make her family even more upset?

I'm afraid i don't agree that any animal that kills other animals should itself be killed, I find it ridiculous and a mockery of God and the Universe. To me letting any animal go extinct is a sin, but to promote it because you don't approve of the way nature designed it...is about the most arrogant thing I've heard.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Whoever thought it was a bright idea to pay to drive through a pride of lions anyway? A lion can break a window with one swipe of his paw. Stupid people feel safe by rolling the window up. Stupider people drive through with their windows down.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:47 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
From what I read, the bear was sick, and as such, wasn't able to properly hunt for salmon like normal grizzlies do. Unable to catch its normal prey, it had to settle for the easiest meal it could find: the sleeping idiot who was prowling around earlier.
Grizzlies kill humans if annoyed/scared, but they normally do not eat them. Not unless they have to.
Do you know the story of the couple who were renting a house in Alaska and a bear attacked? They both went onto the roof and the husband fired a few shots. The bear left, the husband went for help and took his gun and the bear returned and climbed a tree to get to the wife who was on the roof. The bear was stalking this couple, determined to get at least one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events