Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,911,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I remember reading that hippos kill more people a year than lions! I was shocked when I first read it, as I always thought they were more docile like cows, but then I saw a video of one popping out of the water trying to attack a boat, it got to within inches of the back of the boat. It looked ferocious!
plus, with hippos, they're hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
This is how you safely view animals. If owned a safari park, I would never let people bring their own cars in. I'd have special safety vehicles with bars to drive people around with guides.

Just my 2 cents. 4 people attacked in 4 months at that SAME lion park. Enough said.
mixing alcohol with wild animals is not a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,523,531 times
Quote:
That lion being put down has ZERO effect on conservation. ZERO. It's an individual captive animal in a park relying on humans providing food. And there's plenty of lions in the world anyway.
It's predicted that the African Lion will be extinct by 2050.

Quote:
In the wild, once a big cat tastes human flesh and realizes how easy we are to kill they start targeting people. Numerous instances of this. They have the ability to learn.
Not true, try again.

Quote:
If a lion killed me or my family I'd want it put down. Having an animal like that on display is ridiculous.

We put down dogs because we have no home for them when they've done nothing wrong, but worried about putting down a lion after it kills someone? We hunt lions for sport, but we won't put down an animal that has torn someone apart? The lion was NOT defending itself. It saw an opening to attack and kill someone. Killer instinct.

I'm just calling a beast a beast. That's what it is.

I value my family over a lion. I value people over a lion. It's just an animal, but the lunatic fringe wants to believe humans are bad and animals are good.
You watch too much cable.

Quote:
The question I have is why would people think this is safe EVEN WITH THE WINDOWS CLOSED? A lion could easily tear open a locked car door. Black bears do it all the time in national parks. They tear the door right off the hinges. Nevermind the glass. If a lion rammed itself into a side window it would easily break. Those lions weigh over 400 pounds and can run at 30mph+. Why would a park allow people to bring their own vehicles in? So stupid
Most parks are self-drive and have very good safety records when people follow the guidelines.

Quote:
Lions are really horrible creatures. Vicious beast. They kill their own young. They tear animals apart limb from limb for fun in many cases. Not sure why we are supposed to worship them or nature. They are what they are.

Lion should have put down. Insulting to the victim not to. It's just an animal.
So much wrong with this post, do some reading, seriously.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 PM

202 posts, read 220,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm in the sticks about 100 days a year, the deeper the better. When I'm in bear, wolf or lion country I'm packin 24/7. Camping unarmed in an area that has a large predator is just dumb, but then, they gotta eat too.

So, I guess, if the shoe fits?
Have you ever been attacked by an owl?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,908,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This line of thinking fascinates me.

We humans are not alien beings to this planet. I've never understood why we are looked at as intruders. Its just as much our planet IMO.
Not intruders. But here to share. Human beings have a problem with that judging by the numerous species having been and currently being wiped out to make room for still more people.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,908,878 times
Quote:
Yes there are humans serial killers who kill people for fun. Less than 1% And yes unfortunately humans are predators who have evolved from other predators and that's why SOME can be so vicious. It's the predator in us.(just look at the way chimps act. Savages). Thankfully most people are not like that.

I go to the zoo. If a lion killed me or my family I'd want it put down. Having an animal like that on display is ridiculous.

We put down dogs because we have no home for them when they've done nothing wrong, but worried about putting down a lion after it kills someone? We hunt lions for sport, but we won't put down an animal that has torn someone apart? The lion was NOT defending itself. It saw an opening to attack and kill someone. Killer instinct.

I'm just calling a beast a beast. That's what it is.

I value my family over a lion. I value people over a lion. It's just an animal, but the lunatic fringe wants to believe humans are bad and animals are good.
As I said, perhaps animals are sick of our BS. Likely fed up with the attitude of "Just an animal" as well. Sick of our intrusions because people keep breeding indiscriminately.

We weren't meant to become a virus, we are SUPPOSED to keep our numbers at responsible levels for the good of ALL life on this planet.

Sorry, but the more of something there is (in this case humans) the less value it holds. And your thought process of taking revenge by killing the animal who has ZERO understanding of why you want it dead is ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM

50,112 posts, read 46,715,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
Have you ever been attacked by an owl?
Yes I have, a Great Horned protecting a young one on the ground. I had to use my rifle as a stick to keep it back. It never made contact with me but let me know I was too close to it's youngun. A good friend of mine tried to free one that got caught in a trap meant for Coyotes and he was using his gun to keep the bird down while he tried to free it. The Owl dug it's claws into the stock of his gun about a half inch. It was serious hard wood too.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:50 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,628,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
As I said, perhaps animals are sick of our BS. Likely fed up with the attitude of "Just an animal" as well. Sick of our intrusions because people keep breeding indiscriminately.

We weren't meant to become a virus, we are SUPPOSED to keep our numbers at responsible levels for the good of ALL life on this planet.

Sorry, but the more of something there is (in this case humans) the less value it holds. And your thought process of taking revenge by killing the animal who has ZERO understanding of why you want it dead is ridiculous.
Sorry I could only rep this once!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,400,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Sorry I could only rep this once!
X's 2

Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,116,884 times
Windows?

A large charging animal may not even notice the glass and will come right through. I wouldn't go through one of those safari parks unless there was a cage for the windows. Open or closed.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 28 days ago)

34,606 posts, read 16,671,222 times
I added this to my Darwin Award Winners thread. Along with the man who shot fireworks off his head and the man who decided to swim with alligators, both with profound results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events