Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 04:43 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree with you 100%. In the mid-80's I was making in the $4.50-$5.50/hour range which I believe was slightly more than minimum wage. My rent for a decent 1-bedroom apartment was $150/month and I paid for everything but my car insurance, which my father was kind enough to pay.

Now, not only is rent much higher but cell phone and cell service are essential and they are considerably higher per month than a landline and what we used to pay for the occasional long distance call. Utilities and gasoline are at least double what they were then. College tuition (and therefore, loan payments) is at least 10 times what it was then.

It does not surprise me that 47% of Americans couldn't afford a $400 unexpected expense. People on the lower end of the economic scale are stretched to the limit.
In the 1980s, I was putting myself through college (engineering), working two jobs to pay for it, and surviving on $0.25 cups of noodles. I lived where I could find a place to sleep. Graduated and got a good paying job now I don't worry about it. These days, BTW, its much much easier to get aid to go to school.

The point being is that anyone at the lower end of the economic scale has every opportunity to fix it on their own. The government won't ever do that for them. That has been proven time and time again over the last 50 years that it has been tried.

It's all about choices. Everyone makes choices that put them where they are today. If they can't come up with $400, then that is on them, nobody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 PM

227 posts, read 258,066 times
There was a time when $400 would've been very hard. Single income enlisted military family with four children. We were fortunate to have hand me down computers from parents. We didn't have any gadgets or fancy TVs. We could put food on the table, clothes on our backs, and enjoy a dinner out here and there. So while it may seem unreasonable to many, I can understand being in that place.

I'm heartily thankful we are no longer in that place. Heck we just had an out of the blue $600 expense this week and it didn't even phase us.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
In the 1980s, I was putting myself through college (engineering), working two jobs to pay for it, and surviving on $0.25 cups of noodles. I lived where I could find a place to sleep. Graduated and got a good paying job now I don't worry about it. These days, BTW, its much much easier to get aid to go to school.

The point being is that anyone at the lower end of the economic scale has every opportunity to fix it on their own. The government won't ever do that for them. That has been proven time and time again over the last 50 years that it has been tried.

It's all about choices. Everyone makes choices that put them where they are today. If they can't come up with $400, then that is on them, nobody else.
YOU ARE IGNORING THE DATA.

A newborn in the UK is more likely to move from poverty to middle class than any newborn American. And the UK sucks in terms of social mobility. But they along with most everyone else are far ahead of us.

Many people in the USA grow up in a household where education is not highly valued, do we blame the kid whos mama taught him school is a chore and that college is for rich white kids?

The USA is leaving MASSIVE amounts of money on the table by NOT helping those who have fallen up off the ground. The lost productivity is only shocking.

Yet all I hear are conservatives crying about how the poor should do it themselves, and get off their lazy butts.

Spending Billions over the next couple of decades could result in your own children having a much higher standard of living and a much safer life.

But instead we stick to short term gains as our country is falling behind.

In short our short term politics is exactly why our country is failing. we do nothing to get the bottom 20 or 30% out of the poverty trap and instead we waste resources imprisoning them while we could be providing vocational training and get them invested .

Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is that your opinion or do you have some stats to back that up ?

Even retirees are getting deep in debt.

More older Americans are being buried by housing debt | News & Observer News & Observer
Al and Saundra Karp bought their three-bedroom home in North Miami Beach, Florida, for $77,000 in 1980. They refinanced, partly to pay down credit-card debt, and their mortgage swelled to $288,000.

Al kept working as a tax accountant into his late 70s. But Alzheimer's disease forced him into retirement.

The couple is getting by on about $2,500 a month in Social Security and Veterans Administration benefits, plus food stamps and help from their two sons. They stopped paying the mortgage and are fighting foreclosure in court.
That article was the topic of another thread and I read it there. The individuals in the article got to where they are by frittering away money from home equity loans on their houses, to the point where they had mortgages they could no longer afford. Seems to me that by using their home equity as ATMs with no regard as to consequences put these folks in the position they are now in. It's hard for me to work up much sympathy for them.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually as a couple they do not have control over whether they get divorced, it only takes 1/2 of that couple to make that decision
I have been married for 34 years. My experience matches what I have observed. Treat your spouse with love and respect and the odds of a divorce filing are pretty darn low. You need to stop slamming your head. You can kill brain cells that way and you do not seem to have many to spare.

Last edited by whogo; 06-03-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 PM

461 posts, read 508,976 times
There was a time for many years when we couldn't have afforded $400 unexpected expenses. Small children, couldn't work and afford daycare for two. No college degree for me or my husband. We didn't have fancy gadgets.... very simple,frugal lifestyle. Now, I have a college degree and the children are grown. We are better off.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Being poor in your 20's is one thing, if ya poor in your 40's ya screwed up.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Speaking of, knowing how thin the margins are now, think about the trend with banks and overdraft fees.

Some banks charge $34-37 in overdraft fees for 1 item. Have 2 charges come out in one day and that's $70+ in overdraft fees.

$140 total in opportunity cost.

The banks are making a killing off poor people. Unexpected expenses could knock somebody out of a rent payment.

And they're not "making a killing" off middle class savers often seniors, who're getting a pittance in interest?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times

Priorities, right?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
The reason poor people stay poor is they make decisions to keep themselves poor.

Once you're there it's difficult to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events