Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Actually if more people followed his "genius" advice this thread wouldn't exist. First step is save $1000 for an emergency fund.
How do you save $1000 when all your money is tied up on rent, gas, food, etc? Do you print on an inkjet! You too are completely ignorant about poor people & their Options!

WOW. Dave Ramsey is another delusional idiot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
How do you save $1000 when all your money is tied up on rent, gas, food, etc?
Not to mention cell phones.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
I have a friend that has lived waaay beyond her means...champagne tastes on a beer budget..house decorated to the hilt..all on credit of course...bankruptcy...twice..but that doesn't stop her...SHE is the type that can't afford a $400 surprise bill... and will whine when something goes wrong ..but not to worry..she goes on Facebook cries poor and people buy into her poor me crap..she got a new grill...a laptop...a job for her son and a pair of shoes( yes... someone bought her a new pair) her car broke down...and now her latest ..a leaking roof.....it is just sickening....never puts money away for rainy day..goes out to eat all the time...THUS she could never come up with $400...unless she started a go fund me account.and I wouldn't put that past her..Textbook case of someone like this.....

Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM

872 posts, read 827,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This. I love how every poster on here is such a responsible saver. Never buys any luxuries such as going out to dinner, going to a movie, getting a tv, a computer, cable. They all are self made millionaires who have never been late EVER or had an overdraft EVER, never missed a payment EVER. They alone are the smug ones & everyone else is irresponsible, the loafers, the losers who blow their money on crap......you know what I call those posters? Liars, every one of them.
My Husband and I are responsible savers.

We learned a long time ago from our mistakes. Sure we go out to eat. It's not very often as I enjoy cooking. It's been a long time since we have been to a movie.....nothing worth seeing. We do have cable and our computers we built ourselves a few years back. We are not late on payments, this ends up costing more money if you are.

There is a difference from making the mistakes and learning from them......and........making the mistakes over and over and over.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Not to mention cell phones.
As if poor people should communicate with pigeons right? Society has moved on for them too!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I'm a responsible saver, but that doesn't mean I haven't gone long stretches where $400 would have been impossible.

When I was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday, I had 6 months of living expenses in savings which was great considering I had only been working my first entry-level wage job out of college for 4 months. I had saved a lot of money at my college job as well as saved every penny that was given as a gift for a graduation present. That emergency fund was what was left over after moving cross country and paying first/last/security on a cheap apartment with roommates. Within a month of diagnosis, that emergency fund was GONE thanks to expensive copays, transportation, parking at various hospitals (some to the tune of $25 a day!), and medications (the over the counter stuff was killer). In my 6 months of treatment, I maxed out my credit cards, trashed my credit because I had to prioritize which bills I paid (i.e. if it wasn't saving my life, it wasn't getting paid), and my cost of living in general was way higher than what I could possibly bring in at work. Even things like food and clothing were more expensive because I had to work full time and had no energy to cook (and no caretaker) and gained a ton of weight on chemo so I had to buy new clothes because nothing I owned fit.

It has taken me years to dig out - and everything costs MORE because of my poor credit. Once you financial issues, it is very difficult to get out of it. That's especially true if your financial issues are due to health issues, because those health problems can limit future employment and often result in long-term higher bills.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm a responsible saver, but that doesn't mean I haven't gone long stretches where $400 would have been impossible.

When I was diagnosed with cancer a month after my 23rd birthday, I had 6 months of living expenses in savings which was great considering I had only been working my first entry-level wage job out of college for 4 months. I had saved a lot of money at my college job as well as saved every penny that was given as a gift for a graduation present. That emergency fund was what was left over after moving cross country and paying first/last/security on a cheap apartment with roommates. Within a month of diagnosis, that emergency fund was GONE thanks to expensive copays, transportation, parking at various hospitals (some to the tune of $25 a day!), and medications (the over the counter stuff was killer). In my 6 months of treatment, I maxed out my credit cards, trashed my credit because I had to prioritize which bills I paid (i.e. if it wasn't saving my life, it wasn't getting paid), and my cost of living in general was way higher than what I could possibly bring in at work. Even things like food and clothing were more expensive because I had to work full time and had no energy to cook (and no caretaker) and gained a ton of weight on chemo so I had to buy new clothes because nothing I owned fit.

It has taken me years to dig out - and everything costs MORE because of my poor credit. Once you financial issues, it is very difficult to get out of it. That's especially true if your financial issues are due to health issues, because those health problems can limit future employment and often result in long-term higher bills.
Tragic story. Did you not have family that would help a 23 year old with the cost of battling cancer?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Tragic story. Did you not have family that would help a 23 year old with the cost of battling cancer?
My grandparents kicked me $100 when they could. The rest of the family disappeared. My parents were in denial and prioritized going to Scotland for 2 weeks (when my mom works at a daycare and my dad has been unemployed for almost 15 years, minus a few contracts) rather than either visiting me to help or helping me financially. In fact, I was sending my parents money when I first got my job because my mom made it sound like they were destitute and had no idea it was all going to their travel fund. They still think they did nothing wrong 4 years later and don't understand why our relationship is severed.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It shouldn't be alarming. The US has a history of being p*ss poor savers.

It was easy credit that kept the farce alive that US consumers were "prosperous".
They were really living high on the hog off of DEBT.

How much do you expect a minimum wage worker to save?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Yeah, but you made a terrible choice when you decided to get cancer. If you'd been more responsible, none of this would have happened to you.

(I hope you know I'm being sarcastic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events