Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,899,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Oh i see you are completely agreeing with me that cops are trained to shoot to kill but have decided to try and frame it as if you are correcting me...

Well done, you have shown that you are big enough to admit you were wrong... which is weird because if you really were any sort of cop at any time you would have known that you were trained to shoot to kill. and trained never to shoot to maim.. because that might mean DEADLY force was not required, and if not required why would you be shooting anyone?
Let me help you understand since you seem to be really confused.

There is something called the escalation of force. Generally, escalation means going from one level of action to a higher level. Like when you call your cell phone service and get the run around and ask to speak to a manager. Got that so far?

Okay. When it comes to using force, unlike the criminals, the police are taught to use that force necessary to overcome the resistance or force being used against them. Furthermore, the police must not retreat in the presence of force being used against them. Got that? Even better.

When the criminal resists arrest, the police can use force greater than the resistance to effect the arrest. Time permitting (please pay attention- time permitting) if for example, the shoplifter tries to punch the officer, the officer need not respond in kind, they can use greater force and that force can be anything from a baton to a firearm depending once again, on time available, the surrounding environment and a variety of other factors.

How can a police officer justify using a firearm to shoot said criminal if said criminal is trying to punch the officer? Glad you asked. There is no doubt in anyone's mind except perhaps yours, that a person can knock unconscious another person by punching them in the face. It is also possible to otherwise disable them.

Are you following?

The police officer is armed with a variety of weapons and some of those weapons, if taken by the criminal, can be used to kill other people. This is a proven fact so don't even try to argue the point, it is fact. Therefore, the police officer must and is required to employ all means necessary to protect those weapons. The means at the police officer's disposal include deadly force. Now since you have a way of twisting words around, understand this, deadly force is a classification of a type of force, it does not mean used to kill. I think this is where your nearly complete confusion comes into play, you simply don't understand the basics.

This is how an unarmed person who attacks the police can be shot. You see, the police are not only responsible for enforcing the laws, they are also responsible for any consequences if they allow some punk to steal their weapons if they did not use all means necessary to protect those weapons.

I know this might be difficult to understand, especially given your bias toward the police and having not yet learned the why and how things like this work.

One more lesson. Deadly force is classified as such because using it can (not will always) result in death. That does not mean it must result in death nor that the intent is to cause death. Death is a possible consequence.

All force is intended to overcome resistance and if required, to disable the criminal, not kill them. You should also know that when a criminal is shot, it is their actions that precipitated the use of the force, by having decided to become a criminal and engage in criminal activities.

I know that it must come as a complete surprise to you but criminal behavior is a choice even if in the chain of events the initial behavior seems insignificant. Therefore, up to the point of engaging the police, the criminal can at any time decide not to engage in the criminal behavior and do something else.

The reason this seems to bother you so much is because it doesn't allow you to shift the blame where it belongs, onto the criminal and instead, you want to shift the blame for everything onto someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,268,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The "Police" have always been enforcers of "The System".

Those who think they are "Protectors of the People" are naive, brainwashed, or stupid.
If by "The System", you mean laws and rules, by golly, you are right!(I bet you don't hear that very often!).

Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,268,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Let me help you understand since you seem to be really confused.

There is something called the escalation of force. Generally, escalation means going from one level of action to a higher level. Like when you call your cell phone service and get the run around and ask to speak to a manager. Got that so far?

Okay. When it comes to using force, unlike the criminals, the police are taught to use that force necessary to overcome the resistance or force being used against them. Furthermore, the police must not retreat in the presence of force being used against them. Got that? Even better.

When the criminal resists arrest, the police can use force greater than the resistance to effect the arrest. Time permitting (please pay attention- time permitting) if for example, the shoplifter tries to punch the officer, the officer need not respond in kind, they can use greater force and that force can be anything from a baton to a firearm depending once again, on time available, the surrounding environment and a variety of other factors.

How can a police officer justify using a firearm to shoot said criminal if said criminal is trying to punch the officer? Glad you asked. There is no doubt in anyone's mind except perhaps yours, that a person can knock unconscious another person by punching them in the face. It is also possible to otherwise disable them.

Are you following?

The police officer is armed with a variety of weapons and some of those weapons, if taken by the criminal, can be used to kill other people. This is a proven fact so don't even try to argue the point, it is fact. Therefore, the police officer must and is required to employ all means necessary to protect those weapons. The means at the police officer's disposal include deadly force. Now since you have a way of twisting words around, understand this, deadly force is a classification of a type of force, it does not mean used to kill. I think this is where your nearly complete confusion comes into play, you simply don't understand the basics.

This is how an unarmed person who attacks the police can be shot. You see, the police are not only responsible for enforcing the laws, they are also responsible for any consequences if they allow some punk to steal their weapons if they did not use all means necessary to protect those weapons.

I know this might be difficult to understand, especially given your bias toward the police and having not yet learned the why and how things like this work.

One more lesson. Deadly force is classified as such because using it can (not will always) result in death. That does not mean it must result in death nor that the intent is to cause death. Death is a possible consequence.

All force is intended to overcome resistance and if required, to disable the criminal, not kill them. You should also know that when a criminal is shot, it is their actions that precipitated the use of the force, by having decided to become a criminal and engage in criminal activities.

I know that it must come as a complete surprise to you but criminal behavior is a choice even if in the chain of events the initial behavior seems insignificant. Therefore, up to the point of engaging the police, the criminal can at any time decide not to engage in the criminal behavior and do something else.

The reason this seems to bother you so much is because it doesn't allow you to shift the blame where it belongs, onto the criminal and instead, you want to shift the blame for everything onto someone else.

Yo Mack, what are you thinking? That was WAY too logical for evil cart to understand.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,602,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Actually my friend you are technically incorrect

We are trained to stop the threat... to shoot... reassess.. and if necessary shoot again

many suspects under the influence of drugs or alcohol.. or just plain crazy can absorb center mass "killing" shots... not dying from them immediately. The heart and the brain can keep the systems going for seconds even with a fatal shot to the torso. In those seconds they can, if enabled, kill an officer easily.

Again,,, to stop the threat... if death is the result that is Ok... but we are not trained to "kill" per se.. we are trained on use of potentially lethal force... generally center mass shots and then head shots if the suspect is wearing body armor or center mass did not work.

We are not allowed to fire warning shots.. we do not shoot to "wound" .. we are lucky to put bullets on target in many shootings. We are required to account for every round discharged. We must be resolute in our use of force but we must also comply with a very specific use of force continuum... which can go from verbal judo to deadly force in a second

Most police shootings are over in just over two seconds... in that time with semi auto pistols many rounds could potentially be discharged

I hope this clears this up for you

Thanks

Wow, so you repeatedly state that you are trained to shoot to kill and yet you are still pretending otherwise.

Every agency, every force, shoots to kill, I can see you would rather I called it something else, but even you are saying
"""generally center mass shots and then head shots if the suspect is wearing body armor or center mass did not work."""

So just to be clear, police are trained to shoot for the center mass which we all know is a kill zone, and then if that fails to stop them in their tracks go for the head.....

ie shoot to kill, as everyone else on the face of the earth calls it.

I do understand the problem, police are faced with threats and have to protect both themselves and the public, it is the never ending use of physical force to deal with small situations that is the problem. It is the policing method of bullying and shouting where a relaxed stance and tone would accomplish more.

The US police forces choose to dominate the public, and it is that which causes many of the conflicts. The policing bodies in the USA have trained the public to be afraid, they have trained young black men to expect threats and violence.

Threats and violence have become the standard everyday tools used to expedite the outcome an officer wishes to achieve. Failure to instantly comply or failure to speak in a very subordinate tone results in the officers shifting to violence.

The entire ethos of policing in the USA has moved to one of dominating any encounter and escalating to physical force very abruptly in order to avoid even the slightest exposure to risk. All the risk has been shifted to the public and away from the people paid to take the risks on our behalf. The whole point of police forces was to ensure public safety and to deal with risky situations the general public were unable to handle. That is not what we have today.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 PM

81 posts, read 97,406 times
I'm sorry you cannot understand the very clear explanations provided on how law enforcement is trained and responds to these siturations.

Police Lives Matter

Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,347,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Oh i see you are completely agreeing with me that cops are trained to shoot to kill but have decided to try and frame it as if you are correcting me...

Well done, you have shown that you are big enough to admit you were wrong... which is weird because if you really were any sort of cop at any time you would have known that you were trained to shoot to kill. and trained never to shoot to maim.. because that might mean DEADLY force was not required, and if not required why would you be shooting anyone?
Uh huh! We are trained to shoot to stop. It's as simple as that. It only gets complicated is you're inexperienced, agenda-driven and/or delusional. In this case I cast a vote for the latter.

You're welcome!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:59 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,343,229 times
have anybody ever notice that those that are home, cutting the grass, playing with the dog, watching tv. have anybody notice, they dont get shot by cops, or crimnals,etc . what ever just happen to behaving yourself

Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 PM

468 posts, read 579,757 times
Default Bullcrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Let me guess, when criminals stop murdering, raping, stealing, and all those other things?

Why did the "teen" knock the taser from the officer's hand?

What was he doing in the store? The cop didn't just magically appear, someone called the police?

Why? Because the "teen" was shoplifting. Then the "teen" knocked the taser out of the cops hand and got shot.

Knock the taser out of the cops hand, get shot.
You get a resister...........YOU CALL FOR BACK UP, FIRST!

WHAT? This is going to the "Cop Norm" ..............shoot to kill???? for a damn $2 item??? WHAT THIRD WORLD TOILET DO YOU COME FROM??? this behavior is third world dictator thugs stuff.....DOES NOT BELONG ON US SOIL....................... this cop should go down for murder................come on you can't handle a kid? can't call for a back up??? so you resort to killing???

No wonder the Black community is outraged.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,067,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post

WHAT? This is going to the "Cop Norm" ..............shoot to kill???? for a damn $2 item??? WHAT THIRD WORLD TOILET DO YOU COME FROM??? this behavior is third world dictator thugs stuff.....DOES NOT BELONG ON US SOIL....................... this cop should go down for murder................come on you can't handle a kid? can't call for a back up??? so you resort to killing???

Hunh... what kind of fantasy land are you living in... call for backup?
The incident is long over before backup shows up..

People who have deadly force used on them always make the choice... and most times are directly responsible for their death....
How many times have you fought with people?... how many ride alongs have you gone on... or is your extent of police operational procedures from the back seat?
Stop sitting on the sofa and get involved in your community ... or just whine

Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,899,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post

Just how ignorant of simple facts can a person get?

If you encounter a criminal who resists, the physical contact has already taken place. What part of that can't you understand?

Obviously, all parts.

BTW, in the third world, they kill you for breathing air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events