Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Could be considered offensive to many nowadays.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/spec...559332911.html

Quote:
Last week, Bruce Casper was fired from his job at a Chili’s restaurant in the Pittsburgh Mills Mall in Tarentum, Pennsylvania, CBS News reported. His girlfriend, Crista Miller, says it was because he complained to management about employees using the word “retarded.”

The couple has three children together and their youngest, a 16-month-old toddler named Kyron, has Down syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Good, GTFO buddy, nobody needs a Debbie Downer going around and trying to force his beliefs on everyone else around him.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
That is one tone deaf management group. How do you not know that that would get out . . . and that people wouldn't be bothered by it?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Could be considered offensive to many nowadays.
I could care less if somebody has a problem with me using the words "retard" or "retarded" just because they have decided it's inappropriate. I feel that is quite retarded.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I could care less if somebody has a problem with me using the words "retard" or "retarded" just because they have decided it's inappropriate. I feel that is quite retarded.
I say it about myself, or a situation, or a decision at times. I don't use it when referring to, or in front of someone with Down's or other special needs.

And you cannot work in the restaurant world if language, ANY Language, is going to offend you. Mother is half a word in most restaurant kitchens.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I say it about myself, or a situation, or a decision at times. I don't use it when referring to, or in front of someone with Down's or other special needs.

And you cannot work in the restaurant world if language, ANY Language, is going to offend you. Mother is half a word in most restaurant kitchens.
No where in the article did I see they used it to describe his child or anybody with a mental impairment.

I'm guessing they used ii like this, "Dude, you forgot to turn in their order. You're such a retard."

Old 06-03-2015, 10:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think your retarded.

How did that make you feel?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:59 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
I'm just going to leave this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKqceQLpuSY

Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
My brother was mildly mentally retarded (as it was called back then, 40-50 years ago), and maybe because of this, I don't have a problem with the word "retarded" at all. To me, retarded just means slow.

However, what I do object to is people making fun of people with "delays" (I think that is the current PC term, anyway) -- and to a lesser extent, with anyone calling anyone "retarded" or a "moron" as a sincere insult, as a part of bullying. (What I mean is that I although I don't get all uptight if I see two kids together and one kid spills a drink all over himself, and the other kid says something like "What a moron!", but I do become angry if I see a kid imitating a kid with cerebral palsy, for example, just to be mean or to get laughs, or if anyone calls a person with obvious delays, "Dummy".)

Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I can't believe people are defending the restaurant. Firing someone because thy went to management and complained? What kind of company is this??? It doesn't matter if they speaking directly about his child or not. If his child was adopted from China and the co-workers called Chinese people "Chinks", would that be equally unoffensive to you?

People have no compassion. Of course that word is going to get to him, he has to prepare his child to hear it, to be teased and mocked and made fun of...and it's his child. Of course it's painful to have to know your child is going to get hurt and you can't stop it. His co-workers are a**holes and the manager should be the one fired.

We are always told to go to management rather than confront co-workers. He did and was told "If it bothers you, don't come back" then they replace him? That is THE most unprofessional thing I have heard of in quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events