Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:01 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
One idea I've seen is for the parent to put his/her shoes in the back seat when they strap the baby in. You can't get out of the car without thinking about what you're doing.

If my daughter were still small I would definitely do this.
That is a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:03 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh, God, that poor mom will never forgive herself.
Nor should she since her child's death is entirely her fault. I feel sympathy for the child, not the horrible mother.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:03 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Rear facing child safety seats and airbags. Junior used to be strapped in the front seat. Now they go in the back and rear-facing. Babies tend to fall asleep under those conditions.
And as that WP article mentions, if that parent isn't usually the one to do the daycare drop-off, it's easy to go on autopilot. As far as she was concerned, the baby was safely at daycare, like every other day.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:04 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She is guilty of being a human, hopefully we can all find ways to forgive ourselves for being human.
No, she's guilty of killing her child. I'm as human as they come but I've never killed a toddler.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
One idea I've seen is for the parent to put his/her shoes in the back seat when they strap the baby in. You can't get out of the car without thinking about what you're doing.

If my daughter were still small I would definitely do this.
I'm confused by this. You're supposed to drive with no shoes on? Another idea that I heard about is that the parent can put a teddy bear in the front passenger seat whenever the baby is in the backseat to remind them, but some people would still probably get out of the car and leave the teddy bear and the baby.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm confused by this. You're supposed to drive with no shoes on? Another idea that I heard about is that the parent can put a teddy bear in the front passenger seat whenever the baby is in the backseat to remind them, but some people would still probably get out of the car and leave the teddy bear and the baby.
Yes, that's the idea. I usually kick my shoes off when driving anyway. I guess if they were lace-up work boots or something similar that would be burdensome, but I'm usually wearing pumps or sandals. If you didn't want to take your shoes off, you could put your purse, phone or lunch in the back--anything that's going to stop you from being on autopilot.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:56 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Mother is an idiot, she should have left child at home with a relative. Do not leave child or dog in a car, now mommy has to go to prison and serve her time.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I wish more people would take the time to read this article. It really made me me think about these situations.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
This is a, relatively, new occurrence....why didn't this happen back in the 70's and 80's?
I don't remember there being car seats back then.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Blame it on the LAW which requires a small child/baby to be in the back seat of the car.

I am old and retired but will put some purchases in the back seat and some in front with me. Many time I forget things in back and later wonder what happened to the things I bought.....check the car and there they are.

It is easy to exit a car if your mind is on many other things......in this case a small child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events