Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 PM

148 posts, read 132,093 times

Advertisements

Addicting Info – Anti-Racism Educator And Activist Tim Wise Launches #WhiteLiesMatter Campaign (EMBEDS)

From the article: "The first installments in #WhiteLiesMatter, a hashtag series I intend to post regularly. The series will debunk, with links embedded, various right-wing racist claims about people of color.”

While the writing is questionable, the information is valuable, especially since people don't seem to take notice the improvements of the black community. I hope this campaign bring forth some positive results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM

177 posts, read 194,130 times
Well done for posting this. However, I'm not clear on what you mean by 'the writing is questionable'. Whose writing? Tim Wise's or the author of the page?

I also think that a lot of people get hung up on 'whiteness' thinking it is used to describe people of European heritage, but not of people who subscribe to the concept of 'whiteness', be they originally from Europe or elsewhere.

Whiteness in that context is not the opposite of Blackness; instead, its a power system aimed to disenfranchise those outside it and to empower those who subscribe to and identify with it. It is those people, those 'white people' to whom the #whiteliesmatter is debunking: the propaganda that sustains it. Otherwise, it forms an educative alternative to otherwise popular 'facts' that remain unchallenged and widely accepted, which serve only to perpetuate a harmful falsehood.

While I do like Tim Wise and his work, I also realize that his popularity, his fame is directly due to his being the palatable face that is listened to in preference to the uncountable instances of people of color saying the same thing and routinely being doubted or accused of overexagerration.

There is nothing new, nor original about this campaign, except the white face that presents it. But its welcome all the same.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM

202 posts, read 221,347 times
Tim Wise. And he's about as slippery as they come.

John Derbyshire On

Wise vs. Bodeker: A Tale of Two

Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
Well done for posting this. However, I'm not clear on what you mean by 'the writing is questionable'. Whose writing? Tim Wise's or the author of the page?
Sorry for the lack of clarification on that end. I meant the writer of the page. Phrases such as "White folks" seems... a little questionable to me. Some might construe it to be a little prejudice in meaning, and I felt that I should mention it in advance.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 AM

Le bump

Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 AM

277 posts, read 365,116 times
When we can we expect a post on the lies that the left wing radicals perpetuate? Lies spread by those who support the black nationalist movement, hands up don't shoot etc and other false narratives.... Let's not forget those with an over whelming sense of "white guilt."

Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 AM

202 posts, read 221,347 times
I think one of the biggest lies that blacks buy into about whites is that whites want to keep blacks down. Nothing could be further from the truth. Whites would much rather blacks be successful, as they wouldn't commit disproportional amounts of white and blue collar crime (much of it racist crime) and be a drain on white taxpayers.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
I think one of the biggest lies that blacks buy into about whites is that whites want to keep blacks down. Nothing could be further from the truth. Whites would much rather blacks be successful, as they wouldn't commit disproportional amounts of white and blue collar crime (much of it racist crime) and be a drain on white taxpayers.
You don't speak for all Whites, and could you please provide a source to backup your last claim "much of it is racist crime".

Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
White Lies Matter???

• Does this mean that because they matter then they must not be lies?
or failing that
  • Why does anyone care about color of liar? Seems to me that if it is a lie, the color of the party telling it is irrelevant as the lie itself.
Please clarify.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
White Lies Matter???

• Does this mean that because they matter then they must not be lies?
or failing that
  • Why does anyone care about color of liar? Seems to me that if it is a lie, the color of the party telling it is irrelevant as the lie itself.
Please clarify.
Lies perpetuated by white media matters, or these small littles lies matter. Please don't be daft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events