Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times

Advertisements

It seems from some media outlets I have looked at, that apartment rents are going up and in some areas quite significantly. Were I live in Dallas, it's hard to find a good apartment in a safe relatively crime free area for less than $750 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:23 AM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
safe relatively crime free area for less than $750 a month.
Most of the time I see this people are looking for apartments in areas they cannot afford to lie in.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
The Colorado front range, for those not familer with Colorado it is basically the area from Pueblo to Fort Collins along I-25, has been seeing 10% or more increases year over year for at least the last 2 years, places that were renting for $1200 a month 3 years ago are now going for $1600-1800 a month.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
The Colorado front range, for those not familer with Colorado it is basically the area from Pueblo to Fort Collins along I-25, has been seeing 10% or more increases year over year for at least the last 2 years, places that were renting for $1200 a month 3 years ago are now going for $1600-1800 a month.
I'm familiar with the Denver market, and I think has some of the cheapest rent relative to housing costs I've ever seen. It certainly doesn't surprise me that rent is increasing in that area. It still seems too cheap to me. In Dallas, property generally rents for around 1% of its value each month. That can get closer to 2% if it's in the ghetto or down closer to .75% if it's in a very, very nice area, but 1% is probably standard for a nice property. In Denver, it seems like properties that sell for $250,000 rent for $1500, which is just crazy to me. I don't know how any real estate investors stay in business.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:58 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times

Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Just as a comparison, here in the Province of Ontario, the legal rent increase for rental properties will be one point six percent. That applies to all types of rental housing, regardless of the location or the age of the property. This legislation has been in effect since 1992.

here is a link to the relevant Ontario Provincial information website.

2015 Rent Increase Guideline

Landlords may apply for a rental increase above the set annual limit, but they have to justify the increase to the Province. Major improvements to the building, such as a new roof, or new furnace installation may result in a rent increase above the set amount. When a tenant moves out, the rent stays the same for the new tenant. This is recorded on a Province wide rent registry.

Typically, leases are for a year, and if both parties agree, the term becomes a month to month on=going agreement. 60 days notice is required from either party, to end the month to month agreement. Non payment of rent, beyond 3 days of the date for payment, is legal reason to begin eviction procedures.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
It seems from some media outlets I have looked at, that apartment rents are going up and in some areas quite significantly. Were I live in Dallas, it's hard to find a good apartment in a safe relatively crime free area for less than $750 a month.
My family rented. As a kid, we moved every single year because of rent increases in the 10% range. This was in the 60's- 70's.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Texas is a booming market with a lot of people moving here and few vacancies.
Home prices in many areas are up 30% in 2 years.

Find where these people are moving from and you'll find rents that may not be increasing.
But maybe that's why they are leaving, because the price of a place to live has gotten too high.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
That's because everyone wants to live in the same areas. In the less popular ones, the rents are less. I live in a beautiful tree lined section of Cleveland Heights near every cultural and entertainment venue imaginable. I pay $775 a month for a great old 1100 sq ft apartment heat included and I can walk to a grocery store. I am on two bus lines and a mile from the city of Cleveland and the Rapid, Case Western University and University Square. I'm just about five minutes away from Shaker Lakes and can live car free.

My rent won't go up as long as I live in my present apartment. This is the first time in over thirty years I have had this happen in comparison to my previous city of Portland, OR where my rents at one time soared over $100-$200.00 at a time in various rentals when my lease renewal came due. And that was back in the 80's. Not much today has changed except it's now happening in the formerly less desirable neighborhoods.

I know winters here in Cleveland are harsh but the rest of the time it's fine. And that's fine with me. It's an acceptable trade-off. I think anyone who pays big bucks in rent just to say they live in a certain zip code is not being very wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events