Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Stupid is as stupid does. Its as pointless as climbing Everest. Why? What is accomplished? Who is helped in any way? All for self, attention, me me me.
There's nothing wrong with having goals, pushing the limits, seeking adventure. And sometimes it's good to do something strictly for yourself. Besides, she'll be taking water samples and measuring water conditions to help understand climate change and other phenomena. So there are potential scientific benefits in her quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Stupid is as stupid does. Its as pointless as climbing Everest. Why? What is accomplished? Who is helped in any way? All for self, attention, me me me.
Let me guess, you're one of those types that has no goals, ambition, never pushes themselves. What a bunch of negative nancies on here. Just sit in your chair, drinking your beer, slinging insults at people who actually go out & do things in life. Makes one feel better about ones own sad life, eh?

I commend people who take on dangerous, hard events. They have more spirit in their little finger than the majority of people on this forum, guaranteed.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Make sure to send her the bill, as I am tired of these people trying to stroke their own egos at the expense of the taxpayers.
this
any rescue expense due to some idiots thrill seeking and total lack of common sense should be paid by the idiot...not fellow tax payers

Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
this
any rescue expense due to some idiots thrill seeking and total lack of common sense should be paid by the idiot...not fellow tax payers
So anyone who does anything remotely adventurous is an idiot?

Better just stay home on the couch where it is safe and get fat. Oh wait then someone will have to look after me when I have a heart attack and that will end up costing more than 10 rescues.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:

No if you knew the people out there doing stuff you would know that most aren´t looking for attention, some are many are not. (Well Everest does not count it is a high altitude tourist hill at least by the normal routes and guided expedition style accents)

Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
US woman sets out on 6,000-mile Pacific crossing by rowboat

It's tough to get a seat on a trans-Pacific flight during the peak summer travel season, so I guess you do what you gotta do.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:28 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet that she doesn't really look like she is physically up for the challenge of rowing 14-16 hours a day. I don't mean that as an insult, but that was the first thing I thought when I saw her pic. Anyway, I wish her luck.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
So anyone who does anything remotely adventurous is an idiot?

Better just stay home on the couch where it is safe and get fat. Oh wait then someone will have to look after me when I have a heart attack and that will end up costing more than 10 rescues.
riding the big ride at cedar point?? no
scuba diving? no
sky diving even...no

climbing mount Everest or kayaking across the ocean...most definitely
especially if they expect to be rescued for free

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
riding the big ride at cedar point?? no
scuba diving? no
sky diving even...no

climbing mount Everest or kayaking across the ocean...most definitely
especially if they expect to be rescued for free
If your boat goes missing or gets stranded in the ocean while out SCUBA diving, guess who foots the bill for sending out the Coast Guard to search/rescue you? Same thing.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:41 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Some people are motivated to do things just for the challenge of it. To test themselves and their abilities. And night rowing, she says, is sublime, with the Milky Way above. Clearly, these concepts are lost on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events