Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times

Advertisements

Why are there all these Go Fund Me events when there is Obama Care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Popcorn and beer are close at hand for this one. This should be good.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
I'm personally not a fan of all the GoFundMe sites. But surely you know that there are more expenses involved than just doctor bills when dealing with a serious illness or disease?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm personally not a fan of all the GoFundMe sites. But surely you know that there are more expenses involved than just doctor bills when dealing with a serious illness or disease?
The OP probably does but if there is a chance to trash Obama for something, then he's going to jump on it. I actually don't mind Go Fund Me for illnesses. A friend of our's suffered from ALS. He had decent benefits, but nothing would cover clinical trials. Obviously with instances like ALS where no cure exists and research is sorely needed, people will do anything to further their chances and their cause.

Off topic: where Go Fund Me annoys me is when travel and premier sports teams "qualify" for costly tournaments that require travel, hotel, and food.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
GoFundMe is a way to get free money for lots of stuff.

I saw one where an about-to-be wedded couple wanted funds to go to Hawaii for their honeymoon.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why are there all these Go Fund Me events when there is Obama Care?
Because some people don't understand how the Affordable Care Act works. Given your question, it sounds like you're one of these people.

Here's a particularly shining example:
This South Carolina fool, despite having diabetes and being a smoker and having only $9000 in his life savings (while living in a McMansion - nice financial management there, dude) refused to sign up for the AFA. Like most plans, such as every employer-provided policy I've ever had, there's an enrollment period with the AFA. This prevents potential users from gaming the system (like this fool thought he could do).

Quote:
That’s when he turned to the Affordable Care Act exchange. Lang learned two things: First, 2015 enrollment had closed earlier that month. And second, because his income has dried up, he earns too little to get a federal subsidy to buy a private policy.

Lang, a Republican, says he knew the act required him to get coverage, but he chose not to do so. But he thought help would be available in an emergency. He and his wife blame President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats for passing a complex and flawed bill.
Obamacare-Hating Idiot Super-Pissed Obama Won’t Pay His Doctor Bills Now That He Needs It | Wonkette

See? It's President Obama's fault that Luis Lang didn't bother to find out something so elementary and widely known as having to sign up during the enrollment period.

Quote:
“(My husband) should be at the front of the line, because he doesn’t work and because he has medical issues,” Mary Lang said last week. “We call it the Not Fair Health Care Act.”
See? It's 'not fair' that he actually has to read and understand the most basic and commonly understood part of the law.

And that's why Luis Lang started a GoFundMe account. Because his all-too-common combination of stubornness and ignorance left him unable to pay his medical bills, when coverage was his for that taking.
SC man will get sight-saving surgery as liberal donors chip in | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer

Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Obamacare isn't going to save you from bankruptcy due to appointment and rx copays, transportation/hotel costs (ex. a friend recently had to move 4 hours away for 2 months of daily radiation treatment and surgery because that was the closest hospital that could do it), parking at the hospital, over the counter medications and doctor recommended supplements (several hundred dollars a month when I was going through chemo), time out of work for the patient and/or caregiver, and potentially a change of diet, new clothes (dramatic weight loss or gain), and help with cooking and cleaning.

I had good health insurance, yet 2 months of diagnosis and 6 months of chemotherapy for stage IV cancer at 23 years old cost most than my full year's take home pay at my first job out of college where I was working at the time. It was and continues to be devastating - the financial damage is by far the worst part of my cancer experience, even with the lifelong health repercussions I face. And I got out cheap, comparatively. Obamacare wouldn't have made that any more affordable, but would have prevented the $300,000 of medical bills ($500,000 in past 4 years) that I would have had to pay if I had been diagnosed 4 months earlier when I was job hunting and denied health insurance due to unrelated preexisting conditions.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Obamacare isn't going to save you from bankruptcy due to appointment and rx copays, transportation/hotel costs (ex. a friend recently had to move 4 hours away for 2 months of daily radiation treatment and surgery because that was the closest hospital that could do it), parking at the hospital, over the counter medications and doctor recommended supplements (several hundred dollars a month when I was going through chemo), time out of work for the patient and/or caregiver, and potentially a change of diet, new clothes (dramatic weight loss or gain), and help with cooking and cleaning.

I had good health insurance, yet 2 months of diagnosis and 6 months of chemotherapy for stage IV cancer at 23 years old cost most than my full year's take home pay at my first job out of college where I was working at the time. It was and continues to be devastating - the financial damage is by far the worst part of my cancer experience, even with the lifelong health repercussions I face. And I got out cheap, comparatively. Obamacare wouldn't have made that any more affordable, but would have prevented the $300,000 of medical bills ($500,000 in past 4 years) that I would have had to pay if I had been diagnosed 4 months earlier when I was job hunting and denied health insurance due to unrelated preexisting conditions.
wow..that's awful. I hope you are doing well now.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'm going to start a GoFundMe saying it's strictly for beer, gambling, and hookers. I bet I get a ton of cash.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
"Current events" lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events