U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 746,294 times

Advertisements

Anti-Semitic Troll thread fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 PM

479 posts, read 674,594 times
I can't believe there are idiots who actually get mad over this.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 PM

8,867 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
US Embassy celebrates 4th of July earlier out of respect for Ramadhan | The Jakarta Post

I'm sorry, but is this really necessary? How is celebrating our national independence day inside our own embassy some affront to Islam now? This wasn't necessary before but now it is?
Well, A and B.

A: While the embassy may US land, it is still their country. Further, if one bugs the host country enough, the person in question can be declared Persona non grata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is rather a serious bad mark on a diplomat's career.

B: It may interest people to know that I was child and overseas on diplomatic passports in the early 70's, our weekends ran through Thursday and Friday. Why? Because in Islam, the holy day is Friday, so Friday was our Sunday when we were there.

Things like this are not a new thing.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,662,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
I can't believe there are idiots who actually get mad over this.
They're the same people that give off the impression to foreigners that America and Americans only care about 'merica. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks of us because we're 'merica and we're the best ever!

It's arrogant and obnoxious.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:26 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The embassy is US soil.
Great point. This is PC BS to the extreme. I could understand if this was happening in Saudi Arabia or Iran (if we still had our embassy), but Indonesia isn't even an Islamic state constitutionally!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,538,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Great point. This is PC BS to the extreme. I could understand if this was happening in Saudi Arabia or Iran (if we still had our embassy), but Indonesia isn't even an Islamic state constitutionally!
No, but Indonesia is roughly 87% Muslim. Ignoring that fact would be counterproductive to diplomacy.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,162,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What's the problem? I think it shows that they're being thoughtful and considerate. There's nothing that says that our Independence Day MUST be celebrated on July 4.

Perhaps it wasn't necessary before because July 4 wasn't during Ramadan in years past. (I don't know the dates of Ramadans past, but I do know that the dates aren't "fixed")
Too bad the vast majority of other ****hole countries can't be thoughtful and considerate to US. I am so sick of the U.S dealing with these ungrateful moronic, psycho pieces of ****!

All America does now is appease others even though they sure as hell won't for us. America was so much better when other countries knew to fear us and were not at all afraid to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine if they don't like it.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,484,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Non issue. Looks like they were celebrating with the locals as many of the locals were fasting during Ramadan.
But that's a pretty boring reason isn't it? Much better to have some faux outrage. ^ See above.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,162,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
But that's a pretty boring reason isn't it? Much better to have some faux outrage. ^ See above.
Well, all I have to say is I'm very happy I'm not a diplomat or anyone that has to work around others BS beliefs/rituals/culture.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,178 times
Since when did muslims really become so offended by our national independence day celebration taking place during Ramadan? Never before.

This isn't an anti-muslim thread, it's an anti-PC American liberals looking for some reason to act stupid thread. The muslims in Indonesia have never and aren't now looking for this accomodation. This is just stupid liberalism on parade once again.

Believe me, if I wanted to find something muslims were doing wrong I could. This isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or