Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:49 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Well, all I have to say is I'm very happy I'm not a diplomat or anyone that has to work around others BS beliefs/rituals/culture.
So am I. Imagine every diplomat having knee-jerk, emotionally driven responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
So am I. Imagine every diplomat having knee-jerk, emotionally driven responses.
Some like me only feel comfortable and like being around our own kind.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Since when did muslims really become so offended by our national independence day celebration taking place during Ramadan? Never before.

This isn't an anti-muslim thread, it's an anti-PC American liberals looking for some reason to act stupid thread. The muslims in Indonesia have never and aren't now looking for this accomodation. This is just stupid liberalism on parade once again.

Believe me, if I wanted to find something muslims were doing wrong I could. This isn't it.
No one is offended (except you) . This wasn't a closed door Americans only July 4th celebration, it was meant to be a PUBLIC celebration with the citizens of Indonesia. It makes no sense to hold this event when the people you're throwing it for can't attend. The embassy can still honor July 4th amongst the embassy officials.

Did you read none of the replies in this thread? There are multiple posts that answer your questions. I guess they weren't telling you what you wanted to hear so you just ignored them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's called diplomacy.

Did you even read the article? It's not some private, embassy-staff only festivity. Rather, as is typical, it is a public festival meant to engage the populace of the local country. It doesn't occur to you that it is far more effective to reach out to the locals when they're not already engaged in their own celebration, not to mention one that contains a fair amount of asceticism?

Do you have a problem that the July 4th celebration at the American embassy in Tel Aviv features kosher food, with meat and dairy carefully segregated?

Necessary? No. Neither is having a celebration on July 4th necessary, or even having one at all, for that matter.

But the entire function of an embassy is to facilitate relations between nations, and in this case it was determined that the best way to do that is to go ahead with the celebration to engage Indonesia and its mostly-Muslim populace, but not to do so when they are not otherwise going to be involved in a religious rite that, among other things, requires day-time fasting and various other pious behaviors.

As for why this year - um, you're not aware that Ramadan follows the Islamic calendar, and so slowly progresses around the year of the Gregorian calendar? A little googling shows that July 4th hasn't fallen during Ramadan since 1983.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Non issue. Looks like they were celebrating with the locals as many of the locals were fasting during Ramadan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Oh please, it's called common sense. The celebration is intended for general public, not just embassy staff members. If they don't move it to June, they will have nobody attending since the locals are fasting during the day during the month of Ramadhan. They don't move the date out of respect for the religion, they do it so they have a successful celebration.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
[quote=kanhawk;39945850]Since when did muslims really become so offended by our national independence day celebration taking place during Ramadan? Never before.

T

Like was said, it last happened in 1983, so we'd need someone to remember that far back to see if there was any special consideration. As an aside, I used to work in Jakarta for a couple of years. It wasn't much of a celebration until the evening of the end. Otherwise, the people would drag around all day from hunger and thirst, counting the minutes until they could sit down and eat dinner. Then wake up at 4am and stuff themselves with food before sunrise. The years when it fell during the long days of summer were even worse. This was recounted to me by the Muslims I worked with. I kept no such schedule. If the usual celebration is intended for visitors to the embassy, any food would be taunt.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
US Embassy celebrates 4th of July earlier out of respect for Ramadhan | The Jakarta Post

I'm sorry, but is this really necessary? How is celebrating our national independence day inside our own embassy some affront to Islam now? This wasn't necessary before but now it is?
Independence days at embassies are often huge affairs with large parties involving many other embassies and other local dignitaries.

It makes sense in a Muslim country.

As someone who spent a few July 4ths at the American embassy in Indonesia, I can tell you, it will be a boss party.

My parents did a few July 4ths at the embassy in Turkmenistan. I wonder if they will change the date, too.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Well, all I have to say is I'm very happy I'm not a diplomat or anyone that has to work around others BS beliefs/rituals/culture.
Yes.
You obviously are the very antithesis of the word diplomacy.

So it is good. That you are not a diplomat.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.
You obviously are the very antithesis of the word diplomacy.

So it is good. That you are not a diplomat.

Well I know I couldn't be diplomatic with sub-human POS that are the cause of all the suffering and human right abuses in the world.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:40 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Well I know I couldn't be diplomatic with sub-human POS that are the cause of all the suffering and human right abuses in the world.
lol. Keep showing that Peace&Love.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Whether it's US soil, you're still a presence in their country.

I can't imagine many Americans would be thrilled if an Embassy in the US threw a big joyous party (for whatever holiday they celebrate) on our Memorial Day.
Most Americans have no idea what Memorial Day is even about.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:49 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
US Embassy celebrates 4th of July earlier out of respect for Ramadhan | The Jakarta Post

I'm sorry, but is this really necessary? How is celebrating our national independence day inside our own embassy some affront to Islam now? This wasn't necessary before but now it is?
Are there circumstances where people celebrate their birthday or anniversary on dates other than the real ones?

From you position, everybody should be entitled to the day off for celebration of their birthday. If the boss says no, then the boss is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events