Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with respecting the religious festival of a country your people are a guest in? Yes, I know technically the US Embassy in Jakarta is on US, not Indonesian soil, but that's beside the point. The point is that Ramadan is a very important practice in Indonesia, and implicitly more important that a (relatively) mere national independence event. By holding the celebrations on the 4th of July (during Ramadan) it trivializes (in many Indonesians eyes) the holiday. Part of maintaining good international relations (or at least 'not bad' ones) is to concede to a nation's culture to a considerable extent. If that means giving in where it concerns another nation's important holidays or other periods, that's what we have to do. June 4 seems like a good face-saving compromise for the US (to the extent that it is face-saving), and there's no rule saying the celebrations have to happen on the 4th. In short, it's more important to maintain good international relations than for foreigners to celebrate their nations independence on foreign soil on its official date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
They're the same people that give off the impression to foreigners that America and Americans only care about 'merica. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks of us because we're 'merica and we're the best ever!

It's arrogant and obnoxious.
Yep, agreed. That is an example of what I call Counterfeit Patriotism. People like this aren't so much patriots as they are just plain asses. This is not the behavior of a so-self-styled "normal, decent, self-respecting person with strong backbone", this is the attitude of a spoiled eight-year-old brat - if not the attitude of somebody bordering on a conduct disorder. That's the kind of mentality I'd expect to run across inside a State Penitentiary cell block when the guards aren't looking. These Counterfeit Patriots are simply an embarrassment to the people of the United States of America.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:47 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm outraged! America's independence is celebrated on JULY 4th, not June 4th. WTF??? When will the pandering end? If I were the ambassador, I would have held the celebration on July 4th, served nice sloppy pork ribs slathered in BBQ sauce and garnished in bacon and invited all the locals to come join us in chOwing down and commemorating the formation of the greatest nation on Earth, the beacon on a hill, established by the one true CHRISTAIN God. USA! USA! USA!
You must be living in a different 'merica than I am because this country was absolutely not established by or founded upon Christianity.

FYI: Even in America if July 4th falls on a Saturday it's recognized on Friday as a federal holiday and if it falls on Sunday it's recognized on Monday.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...days/#url=2015

It's this attitude and complete disrespect towards anyone different than a "real 'merican" that gives foreigners a bad opinion of our country. Good grief.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The embassy is US soil or is it on US soil?

Also, a lot of people may not know this but there are tens of thousands of Americans employed by the US Government working on the 4th of July. It does not mean that they cannot appreciate the day or celebrate it with family at another time. It just means Charlie Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
1) If that was so, it would be utterly irrelevant, for the issue is not what can be done but what should be done in furtherance of diplomatic relations.

2) The notion that diplomatic missions are the sovereign territory of the sending state is one of those widely-known 'facts' that is, in reality, wrong. Both the land on which the mission is located, as well as the mission itself, remain the territory of the host state. The ending state enjoys a wide variety of rights under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Missions, but the territory and buildings(s) are nonetheless most certainly not the 'soil' of the sending state.

What is a U.S. Embassy?
As a practical matter, the embassy is US territory. This has nothing to do with diplomacy between governments. Our government celebrates its most important holiday on July 4th. Ramadan is just a religious celebration. What the embassy staff is doing here is degrading democracy and supporting theocracy.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
As a practical matter, the embassy is US territory. This has nothing to do with diplomacy between governments. Our government celebrates its most important holiday on July 4th. Ramadan is just a religious celebration. What the embassy staff is doing here is degrading democracy and supporting theocracy.
No we don't, as I posted above if July 4th falls on a weekend the Federal Holiday is either Friday or Monday. So this year the day the Government will shut down for Independence Day is actually July 3rd.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:01 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Of course, many of the same posters calling me a troll for starting this thread would throw a fit over a display of The Ten Commandments in a public square or a nativity scene or Heaven Forbid ! a cross at a war memorial but they aren't trolls for having a fit over that.
And you don't see how that's completely different????? Wow.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:03 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with diplomacy.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:15 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,435 times
Quote:
You must be living in a different 'merica than I am because this country was absolutely not established by or founded upon Christianity.

FYI: Even in America if July 4th falls on a Saturday it's recognized on Friday as a federal holiday and if it falls on Sunday it's recognized on Monday.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...days/#url=2015

It's this attitude and complete disrespect towards anyone different than a "real 'merican" that gives foreigners a bad opinion of our country. Good grief.
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm

Old 06-09-2015, 02:19 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Of course, many of the same posters calling me a troll for starting this thread would throw a fit over a display of The Ten Commandments in a public square or a nativity scene or Heaven Forbid ! a cross at a war memorial but they aren't trolls for having a fit over that.
I'm happy you don't see them as trolls

Old 06-09-2015, 02:32 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
No we don't, as I posted above if July 4th falls on a weekend the Federal Holiday is either Friday or Monday. So this year the day the Government will shut down for Independence Day is actually July 3rd.
That's just a practical matter for labor issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events