Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 03:50 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idphoneguy View Post
Considering that the FCC regulates communications and the FAA regulates aviation, using a frequency jammer to stop a drone isn't the same as cell phone jamming. If there is an airliner or police helicopter within 200-300 ft. of my house, I would be surprised.

I'm going to go back to my original thought. Would it be illegal to jam the frequencies of theprivacy invading drones? There is no intent to harm a particular drone. My onlyintent would be to protect my property from privacy invaders using the airwavesto control vehicles to invade my privacy. The very inexpensive equipment (lessthan $100.00) can be set up on your private property and sweep through thefrequencies most often used by the manufacturers, 24x7. The equipment isvariable and adjustable and has ranges reaching out only 200-300 ft. in a 360degree pattern. It is not aimed at a particular drone. How could that beillegal and the drone owner's actions using those same frequencies be legal?I'm not going to shoot it, through rocks or baseballs, or swing a shirt at it.I'm going to prevent it from flying over my property with no particular harmintended.

Just keep your toys with cameras out of my business and I will respect your right to fly drones in a safe, considerate manner.
And if it falls in your yard, you don't have to let them come after it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 03:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Would it be illegal to jam the frequencies of theprivacy invading drones? There is no intent to harm a particular drone. My onlyintent would be to protect my property from privacy invaders using the airwavesto control vehicles to invade my privacy. The very inexpensive equipment (lessthan $100.00) can be set up on your private property and sweep through thefrequencies most often used by the manufacturers, 24x7. The equipment isvariable and adjustable and has ranges reaching out only 200-300 ft. in a 360degree pattern.
Checkmate.

From the FCC Website:

Quote:
We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi. Despite some marketers’ claims, consumers cannot legally use jammers within the United States, nor can retailers lawfully sell them.

News Release: FCC Enforcement Bureau Steps Up Education and Enforcement Efforts Against Cellphone and GPS Jamming.

Advisory: Retailers Advised that the Marketing or Sale of Devices Designed to Block, Jam, or Interfere with Authorized Radio Communications Is Strictly Prohibited in the U.S. Enforcement Bureau Takes Action Against the Retail Sale of Jammers.

Advisory: CONSUMERS BEWARE: It is Unlawful to Use “Cell Jammers” and Other Equipment that Blocks, Jams, or Interferes with Authorized Radio Communications in the U.S.
https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jam...nt-against-law

Old 06-14-2015, 03:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
People are getting tired of idiots with drones. This guy takes action into his own hands. Indignant drown owner says he will go to small claims court over smashed drone.

Huntington Beach man swats drone out of the air with his T-shirt completely smashing the $1,300 contraption | Daily Mail Online
Good job! Most comments on the article side with him. Drones remind me of wind turbine proliferation in some ways. Much smaller, but with a similar invasive technology factor.

Some futurists thought we'd all be in flying cars by now. It was always a mindless concept. Even small drones without strict regulations are a nuisance. The skies are generally overcrowded and I can't imagine how flying cars would land in neighborhoods without casualties. Some nerds think GPS could control the whole scene, which is ridiculous considering endless variables and equipment failure.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:56 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Another Internet tough guy claiming readiness to do violent acts because his sense of propriety is offended. Un-wad those girly panties and relax, dude.
It wouldn't be the first time here that someone was shot at or punched for invading privacy. We take property rights very seriously in rural America. You might get by with your intimidation in some areas, but it would not work here.
A neighbor of mine recently held two teens at gun point for being in his back yard. The two were charged with trespassing. They were lucky, he could legally have shot them.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And if it falls in your yard, you don't have to let them come after it.
And in most jurisdictions, the $1,000 value would elevate it to a felony.

Quote:
The actus reus of theft is usually defined as an unauthorized taking, keeping or using of another's property which must be accompanied by a mens rea of dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use.

For example, if X goes to a restaurant and, by mistake, takes Y's scarf instead of her own, she has physically deprived Y of the use of the property (which is the actus reus) but the mistake prevents X from forming the mens rea (i.e., because she believes that she is the owner, she is not dishonest and does not intend to deprive the "owner" of it) so no crime has been committed at this point. But if she realizes the mistake when she gets home and could return the scarf to Y, she will steal the scarf if she dishonestly keeps it.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What ever you think doesnt give you the right to destroy the vehicle, just call the cops and let them deal with it.
I think you could make a good case for destroying it if it was at traffic level, or was dipping low enough to be at traffic level. It distracts you and you manage to not hit someone. But its still there and can distract and cause someone else not have one. Removing it would be an immediate fix for the risk. If the drone owner complains, they might get slapped with a lawsuit over any accidents it caused. Remember even driving when your too tired, or too mad or too anything can still allow you to be sued. If your flying a drone where its distracting drivers its not their fault they they were distracted since they didn't put it there, but your since you did. If someone knocks it down, especially if its not going to rise again that day, then they are doing a desirable thing.

If your drone caused an accident where someone was seriously hurt I can see it becoming a criminal matter as well. If you can SEE that cars are reacting in traffic then you should know its time to grow up and take your toy home.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times
They were flying it over his house.

I wouldn't have broke it, but I would have definitely asked them to not fly it over my property. If they would have gave me any attitude about it, then I would have broken their stupid hipster glasses and the drone while I burned them with their $5 coffees at gunpoint.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:06 PM

46 posts, read 60,501 times
Quote:
Drones are regulated by the FAA not the FCC. A drone controller is not an authorized radio communication devise. It does not use the same frequency bands that authorized communication frequencies use. Those bands are auctioned off by the FCC and the drone controllers cannot use them. That is why using a jammer that is set for toy controller frequencies will not prohibit authorized communications.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to keep your kids safe by closing the drapes while they're showering or changing? That's what we do. And congrats on the hitchin' post work!
Some houses have thick glass windows which normally just show light along the ceiling. This is common in bathrooms especially. They are at the top of the wall and even if you could walk up to it you'd have to be looking down at an angle to see in. But a drone can be set to. The couple who had the two drones peeping I mentioned had this kind of window and that was how they were positioned.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Why is it lost on so many people that drones should not be flown where there is a danger to the public? I have a right to walk down a public street without having to duck for cover. I have the right to prevent drones from invading the airspace above my property for privacy and safety concerns. Sure, FAA regulations rule. I get it. Jammers vs. Droners.... Guess who wins that battle?
Of course the FAA regs were designed with planes in mind, flying far higher, not checking out windows without the curtains pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events