Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The reactionaries and many of their cheering enablers don't need to be tricked - they know and adore the power-structure for which they make endless excuses.

However, the useful idiots in the fan club do have to be brought along with the lies that they're just waiting to swallow hook-line-and-sinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Bullbleep.

That article (its slant couldn't have been more obvious) does nothing but apologize for the tactics of many protesters by asserting that they only represent a few.

The author might think that we're all gullible enough to be manipulated by what he thinks are a few outrageous signs or rabble-rousers, but what the observant among us see are smiling protesters contentedly walking right alongside the people with the offensive signs, and accommodating the lawlessness.

Tell me who you go with, and I'll tell you what you are. Good try, no cigar.

Last edited by Delahanty; 06-10-2015 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Can you show me any evidence of protest where every peaceful protestor turned to violence? There will almost always be violence associated with any protest because there will always be people who use the protest to act foolishly. Just because some people misbehave doesn't mean

It is the responsibility of the protestors to police their own and dissavow anyone who breaks the law.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Very insightful, actually.

Lol at people who claim this is, or might be, a satire.

Mick

Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I bet those millions of private industry folks laid off during the recession wished they had a "union" to help them keep their jobs.
I bet those millions of private industry folks who weren't laid off due to the others that were are thankful they kept their jobs.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Didn't claim it was a joke article and "taking advice" is different than offering advice.You create a generalization to prove point a specific point. Irony indeed.

BTW, the word you are looking for is satire. The real question here is the Cracked article good satire. IMO, that is in the eyes of the beholder.
It's really not meant to be satire IMO. You just continue to keep your eyes firmly shut, though.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I thought people were already hip to this in 2015.

This is the same crap they did when getting everyone in private industry to turn on unions as an "evil" entity. Macys and Walmart have orientation videos talking about "horrible" unions are.

I bet those millions of private industry folks laid off during the recession wished they had a "union" to help them keep their jobs.
Most of those millions weren't working for large companies where Unions would have made a difference, they were working for small and medium businesses, they were working for themselves.

If there is a recession, I'm not sure that a Union does anything to help because if the business can't afford to maintain all of it's employees then some have to go.

Now just look at your own post. You demonize Macys and Walmart. Just what is the difference between what you say and what they say? Doesn't seem like much, just the side of the side you happen to be on.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Most of those millions weren't working for large companies where Unions would have made a difference, they were working for small and medium businesses, they were working for themselves.

If there is a recession, I'm not sure that a Union does anything to help because if the business can't afford to maintain all of it's employees then some have to go.

Now just look at your own post. You demonize Macys and Walmart. Just what is the difference between what you say and what they say? Doesn't seem like much, just the side of the side you happen to be on.
How did she demonize them? She pointed out they have antiunion training videos, where is the demonization you see?

Without unions, kiss the middle class goodbye...

Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
"Protesters"? You mean the ones who block traffic, smash out car windows, assault innocent bystanders, attack the police officers who are trying to maintain law and order, break store windows, loot the contents of those stores, then burn down what's left?

No, they don't need "powerful people" to get me to hate them. They're able to accomplish that all by themselves.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not a joke article, and it doesn't offer advice. It is about how people in power make little people turn against other little people (us, in other words). I don't understand people who say "I didn't read it, but here's my take on it" nor do I understand people who believe they are patriotic Americans being so against one of the most basic freedoms of being an American.

It's like the people here who won't read it yet are against protestors in general, are the proof that the article is right...that's the irony part, for those who don't understand.
Any Brad Piff thread should be titled "5 Ways Brad Piff tricks people in to clicking on his click bait". I don't click on click bait, if you want to post about a topic at least include a snippet about what it's about. I can tell what the subject matter is from his subject line, so I comment on that. It doesn't matter what "tricks" people use to make people turn against protesters...any protest movement with a name that is divisive(such as "Black Lives Matter") instead of unifying is not going to attract widespread support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events