Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Boy did the bees come out to zealously protect their pot of honey.

I know a few government "workers". I use the term loosely. One guy from the Department of Agriculture comes to my work place and spends 90% of his time talking. A cousin who works for the water board spends one hour a day actually doing any work and gets paid for 8 hours.

No, I have no interest in working for the government at any level. I wouldn't want to a part of anything that exists on the back of taxpayers.

Yeah, everyone seems to have a story about some lazy gov't worker that doesn't do anything and those stories seem to get repeated over and over like it the norm. Oh those terrible gov't workers taking my tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 01:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
As the economy improves, more Missouri state workers are leaving : News

See the table at the bottom.

According to the study you posted, median annual pay for private sector workers is $65,728. For federal workers, $67,184.

Only one group of state government workers, Connecticut at $65,838, has higher median pay than the private sector; and it is still lower than federal. Notice that my state comes in at $36,058, less than 55% of private sector pay from the study you cited.

On the teachers, it is virtually impossible to make an apples to apples comparison between public and private. From Table 3 you can see that private school teachers are more likely to be teaching in a high cost of living area than public school teachers. From Table 4, private school teachers are three times more likely to be teaching without a degree while public school teachers are slightly more likely to be teaching with a Masters or a degree higher than a Masters.
And by far the biggest factor, private school teachers are also three times more likely to be teaching part time, with over 1/5th of private school teachers teaching part-time.
Sorry, but you need studies that compare the state private to state public for each state since cost of living and salaries change so much. You can't take the national average and compare to the states. It either needs to be national vs national or state vs state.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:17 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but you need studies that compare the state private to state public for each state since cost of living and salaries change so much. You can't take the national average and compare to the states. It either needs to be national vs national or state vs state.
When every single state employee workforce in the country earns less than federal workers, and only one state employee workforce (in a relatively small state) earns more than private workers, that's a disingenuous demand. (Especially when you consider the normalization of federal wages across all states, so that salaries are pretty standard from state to state.)

But, I figured you would ask for that anyway.

What State Government Workers Earn, Compared to the Salaries of Private-Sector Employees
(If you are having trouble with the embedded graphic, that is here: Workbook: State Salaries Recover from Recession)

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...Study_2010.pdf

Even the Reason Foundation agrees that compensation is lower for state and local government workers than the private sector (but also finds that the value of job security outweighs the difference):
Reason Foundation - Comparing Private Sector and Government Worker Salaries
"According to the analysis, state government workers earn an average of 11.4 percent less than private-sector workers of similar education and work experience and local government workers earn 12.0 percent less. Due to the greater benefits received by public sector workers, the gap narrows when these benefits are factored in, to 6.8 percent and 7.4 percent, respectively."

Old 06-12-2015, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,536 times
31 here. In not eligible until 2026....

Old 06-12-2015, 02:52 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,133 times
That 20 years for law enforcement people isn't what it looks like either. I worked for a federal egency where most of the people in my office were gun-carrying federal agents. They were required to put in at least a 10-hour day, and sometimes when the work demanded it, they worked late into the evenings and on weekends. The 10 hours were actually tracked to be sure they were doing the time. When I left at 3:30, they still had a long time to go. That's how they qualified for a 20-year retirement,

Old 06-12-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Boy did the bees come out to zealously protect their pot of honey.

I know a few government "workers". I use the term loosely. One guy from the Department of Agriculture comes to my work place and spends 90% of his time talking. A cousin who works for the water board spends one hour a day actually doing any work and gets paid for 8 hours.

No, I have no interest in working for the government at any level. I wouldn't want to a part of anything that exists on the back of taxpayers.
Those kinds of people are everywhere, not just on the government payroll. I'm sure everyone can tell a story about the office slacker.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Does it bug anyone besides me that public employees that are funded by our tax dollars tend to have these great benefit packages where they can retire after twenty years of "service" while the rest of us private sector chumps are probably going to end up working into our 70ies? I mean good for them but the fact that I'm their employer and provide such generous retirement benefits to them that I don't get to enjoy myself bothers me. Does it bother you? Sound off.
Here's an idea....why don't you get a job with the government? Then according to your analysis, you can get a huge paycheck for standing around all day doing nothing, and retire when you're 50.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You really really believe that will cut and lower your taxes??? I have a bridge to sell you
Yes... it did in California and nearly 40 years later the complaints over the massive tax cuts continue...

If Prop 13 didn't cut taxes... there would be nothing to talk about.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:09 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,065 times
Several posters here are correct: law enforcement, firefighters and air traffic controllers are the only ones with 20 year retirements. Reason: those three career fields require employees in very physically and mentally sharp condition. How many non-government employees have to pass a PT test twice a year - at 55 years of age?

The rules notwithstanding, I did over thirty years and earned every cent of my pension (and every ache and pain I'll live with forever). I also took in tens of millions of dollars in fines, forfeitures and restitution - many times more than every cent the government ever paid me in salary and will pay me in pension. In fact, many times more than my wife earned in salary and will earn in pension, too. (She just retired after 27 years as a flight medic for Uncle Sam's Airplane Firm.)

So the taxpayer made a profit hiring me. And I paid for my wife's salary and pension. And the treasury is fuller because I went to work.

You're welcome.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:15 PM

258 posts, read 157,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
20 year retirements are indeed reserved for law enforcement, military and firefighters and for good reasons. I will have 28 years with the federal government when I become eligible to retire at 60. The OP is probably similar to the people that thought I was crazy for accepting a position in the public sector. We all make decisions, we're all responsible for the outcome of those decisions. Sounds like sour grapes coming from the OP to me.
At least in California, it wasn't clear at all 30 years ago that you would become wealthy from a public safety job.

Now that it's obvious, I expect that those wages/benefits will have to get reduced.

To be fair, a lot of the arguing is apples and oranges. There are a number of jobs (I believe Fed pensions aren't all that amazing) that don't have high value income and benefit streams, while there are those that do. Each side tends to pick outliers. A quick example for sunny CA is the Roseville PD chief retired a few years ago. Smallish department, 50 years old, 24 years on the force, $134k (+healthcare) / year forever. It's remarkable what the present value of that kind of income is.

And, no, police (even the desk-bound flavor) don't live shorter life spans than everyone else. CalPERS claims that they live a few months longer on average.

Last edited by Saxon X Seaworthy; 06-12-2015 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events