Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:46 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,882,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I was self employed most of my working life. Work was always scheduled weeks ahead and working by myself, I would have been without income for whatever days I was gone. Jury duty would have cost my living and made me violate several contracts with long term customers. And they always wanted me to go to a larger city 100 miles away. For several years the only vehicle I had was a one ton work truck. It got about 8 mpg. Some of us just cannot afford to be on a jury.
When I did jury duty, I found the judge to be extremely reasonable and understanding when it came to excusing jurors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 PM

491 posts, read 401,527 times
I go to school full-time, which is all day one day a week (0700-1800) . If I got involved in a case that lasted more than a day and had to miss school, I would be so far behind, I'm not sure how I would catch up. Nevermind the money i would lose. I could afford two or three days max. Four months on a grand jury? I'd be bankrupt.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,882,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetelle View Post
I go to school full-time, which is all day one day a week (0700-1800) . If I got involved in a case that lasted more than a day and had to miss school, I would be so far behind, I'm not sure how I would catch up. Nevermind the money i would lose. I could afford two or three days max. Four months on a grand jury? I'd be bankrupt.
All the students who were called for the Grand Jury I was on (and it was a college town) were excused by the judge because of the potential interference with their classes.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM

9,312 posts, read 16,619,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I spent four months on a Grand Jury and enjoyed every minute of it. It was interesting, educational and rewarding. And I felt good that I was participating as a citizen in our justice system.
I have served on two Grand Juries and seven petit juries. An American citizen has a right to trial by a jury of their peers, unlike other countries where it is decided by the judge or government. It is a definite learning experience. I hope the people who are doing everything to get out of jury duty don't end up on the other end of the table, where they would hope to get a fair trial. Good for you Jaggy001!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM

414 posts, read 294,575 times
Apparently older people are no longer capable of jury work? That's what one poster stated. I don't see anyone stepping up to take the place of those who can't afford it. Funny that. I also wonder if my mortgage company will be a staunch supporter of my civic duty. Does anyone know?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,904,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I just got my first ever Jury Summons and I am excited for it. I can't believe people try to get out of it!
I've done jury duty. It suuuuucked! Cost me a lot of money as well ($18/day!?!?!?!? what an effing joke! ). Job let me do it of course but they didn't pay me for it. Took a a week and a half, the details were horrifying (child sexual abuse case). Also it was a pain as I had to make my way to the courthouse every morning, an hour each way. Yeah, no thanks.

A few years after that, having since learned of 'jury nullification', the next time I got called up the judge seemed pissed I even mentioned 'jn'. Dismissed! See ya, suckers!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 PM

6,428 posts, read 9,764,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've done jury duty. It suuuuucked! Cost me a lot of money as well ($18/day!?!?!?!? what an effing joke! ). Job let me do it of course but they didn't pay me for it. Took a a week and a half, the details were horrifying (child sexual abuse case). Also it was a pain as I had to make my way to the courthouse every morning, an hour each way. Yeah, no thanks.

A few years after that, having since learned of 'jury nullification', the next time I got called up the judge seemed pissed I even mentioned 'jn'. Dismissed! See ya, suckers!
Luckily my company still pays me during jury duty. Here in NC they have a sliding pay scale.

12.00 the first day
20.00 per day for the next 4 days
40.00 per day after 5 days.

I wouldn't try to get out of it myself. I'm looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events