Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times

Advertisements

I have no problem participating. I get so frustrated with the (in)justice system, that if I can have a say on something, I will.

That said, I'm fortunate to have an employer that fully pays for my time on jury duty, and as long as there's wifi, I can still do most of my work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,572,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Vermont man has escaped jury duty—by getting dismissed for wearing a prisoner costume. James Lowe of Barnet says he was released from jury duty yesterday when he showed up to court wearing a black-and-white-striped jumpsuit with a matching beanie. The Caledonian Record reports that Lowe showed up on time and joined other prospective jurors before the start of the selection process. Deputies directed him to an empty courtroom to meet with the judge, who told him to leave.

Here's One (Risky) Way to Get Out of Jury Duty
Funny!

I remember reading years ago some woman showed up for jury duty in a Star Trek outfit. I think she got picked too!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
bjh

59,919 posts, read 30,261,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
The sad state of affairs is that people support the government's right to force people to serve as jurors for $10-$12 a day. In my area, the court does not provide free parking or lunch for jurors so when that expense is factored in, I am being forced to spend my own money to serve as a slave for the government for as long as they see fit. My employer also doesn't pay my salary while I am out for jury duty so I am unable to earn an income that my family needs to survive. If the government was willing to pay a fair wage like $20 an hour, that would be a reasonable compromise even though it still would not fully cover my losses.

The current level of juror pay is an insult. If I am unable to get out of future jury service, I will automatically vote "not guilty" in a criminal trial and take the defendants side in any civil matter. I may be unable to avoid becoming their slave, but nothing prevents me from acting like a rebellious one.
It would be ironic if that criminal defendant then committed a crime against you or yours, or if that civil defendant was able to bamboozle you.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 PM

17,478 posts, read 15,059,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Funny!

I remember reading years ago some woman showed up for jury duty in a Star Trek outfit. I think she got picked too!
I remember that.. Holy crap.. that was almost 20 years ago..

Trekkies in the jury | EW.com

And it was the whitewater trial.. Forgot that.

I've always thought.. Every time I've been called to jury duty, they ask if anyone has ever been convicted of a felony.. And, about every time, someone has stood up, and they're just immediately dismissed.. I've wondered, if you wanted to get out.. Stand up when they ask that.. Doesn't look like they actually check to verify..

Now, if they DID check.. You're likely looking at a contempt charge..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,755,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251
I'm surprised the Judge didn't tell the guy, "well since you already have the uniform, why don't you spend a day in jail." Really dumb.
Yes I bet the judge was quite mad!!

Old 06-12-2015, 03:33 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
The sad state of affairs........

The current level of juror pay is an insult. If I am unable to get out of future jury service, I will automatically vote "not guilty" in a criminal trial and take the defendants side in any civil matter. I may be unable to avoid becoming their slave, but nothing prevents me from acting like a rebellious one.
This "it's only about me" attitude is the true sad state of affairs in the USA these days. Hopefully if you ever have the misfortune of being in court, you don't end up with jurors with the same pathetic attitude as to what doing civic duty means.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:35 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,860,630 times
I hate that all these people get called to jury duty and try to get out of it, and I have been waiting to do it since I have turned 18 and never got the chance.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 AM

6,428 posts, read 9,760,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I hate that all these people get called to jury duty and try to get out of it, and I have been waiting to do it since I have turned 18 and never got the chance.

I turn 49 later this year and this is the first time I have gotten the summons. I always moved around too much before to be in one place long enough I guess.

I wouldn't want to get caught up in a casey anthony type trial but I wouldnt mind being on a jury for a few days.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:19 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,743,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This "it's only about me" attitude is the true sad state of affairs in the USA these days. Hopefully if you ever have the misfortune of being in court, you don't end up with jurors with the same pathetic attitude as to what doing civic duty means.
Yea well, when you live paycheck to paycheck and support a family and your employer doesn't pay for that day or days missed for jury duty, its not about "me" its about "my family" at that point. I can't afford to take unpaid sick days, but I have to bite the bullet for jury duty?! Nope. Now, if jury duty happened to fall on one of my days off, I'll gladly do it. But if it means missing several days at work and later finding out your paycheck is so small that rent will be late, that's what I have a problem with. It has nothing to do with a "me" attitude but a "my family can't afford me to take several unpaid days off" attitude.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:08 AM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
oddly enough I've never gotten a summons. I'd just mention jury nullification and probably get ejected. I don't believe in the war on drugs so any drug possession case I'll likely push nullification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events