Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,599,757 times

Advertisements

If my child came home having this happen, I'd not be at work the next day...
Instead, I'd take the day off, and would show up at lunch time - with the same lunch food that was taken away the day before - and would have lunch with my child... The first dumb @ss that attempted to take his or my food away, would end up with their own sandwich - of the knuckle variety...

They already indoctrinate them in class - or attempt to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And taking away a slim jim only to give it back at the end of school is going to eradicate obesity ?
I know.

I appreciate the intention.

The outcome is beyond the control of any school.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
When was the last time you ate a school lunch..40 years ago ?

You think it's the same today ?
I packed lunch when mine were in public school.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
But if they want their Federal money they follow Federal guidelines regardless of who is on the school board.

And example is the guideline put out last year by the USDA on snacks..what's acceptable and what's not.
Federal government does not require schools to confiscate children's food. That's school policy or not, set by the district.

16,826 posts, read 15,077,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I packed lunch when mine were in public school.
Yep. My mother packed our lunches as well, and I now do the same for my kids. They actually get upset when I don't and they have to eat school food. Not that I blame them. I saw their "lunch" twice this year. One time, it was ravioli (looked like Chef Boyardee) with steamed broccoli and milk. The other time it was premade, packaged PBJ with raisins...

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I know.

I appreciate the intention.

The outcome is beyond the control of any school.
On this we agree. That was the point I was trying to get across.

I think inactivity plays a bigger part though.
You cannot bring down your calories enough to compensate for inactivity.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM

10,001 posts, read 8,534,979 times
Quote:
I knew exactly what that poster meant.

The water at school is awful. And it's not just one school.
I don't know what they do. It's warm and has a smell.
Even the kids don't like it but they drink it anyway cause there's no other choice.

Me..I bring my own water bottles.

I've experienced this in about 4 schools so far both rural and urban.

I remember those drinking fountains in the halls of those schools, water was luke warm, almost like drinking from a garden hose. I much preferred the one in the teacher's lounge, water was ice cold.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If my child came home having this happen, I'd not be at work the next day...
Instead, I'd take the day off, and would show up at lunch time - with the same lunch food that was taken away the day before - and would have lunch with my child... The first dumb @ss that attempted to take his or my food away, would end up with their own sandwich - of the knuckle variety...

They already indoctrinate them in class - or attempt to...
Alrighty then.

Teach children to deliver " knuckle sandwiches" when they disagree with stated policy.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yep. My mother packed our lunches as well, and I now do the same for my kids. They actually get upset when I don't and they have to eat school food. Not that I blame them. I saw their "lunch" twice this year. One time, it was ravioli (looked like Chef Boyardee) with steamed broccoli and milk. The other time it was premade, packaged PBJ with raisins...
Some districts allocate more funding to school lunches than others. The people in the district are willing to pay higher property taxes to do so.

I am aware of two public high schools that offers a multiple massive salad bars and grilled meats.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,095,588 times
Does anyone else keep reading the title as "Foot Removed From Kids By Boxing Teachers"? o_o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events