Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 AM

19,784 posts, read 12,034,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This sounds like a story that will end with her just disappearing off the face of the earth. It's kind of hard to show your face in public EVER again if someone asks if you are black and you say you don't understand the question.
A normal person would be mortified to be caught in such a scheme. I suspect Rachel is far from normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 AM

625 posts, read 621,985 times
I see a Lifetime Movie Special …
"Black & Betrayed By My Parents!"
"Black Like Me: Rachel Dolezal story of triumph over adversity"
"The Fight of Her Life: The Rachel Dolezal Story"

If Rachel could be in the movie she'd play herself. Heck, she's been quite the little actress for years!

Who is blackish that could portray Rachael? Someone like Kim Kartrashian, oh except she can't act, but you get the idea … someone who's white but thinks she's black.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 AM

6,428 posts, read 9,766,345 times
Well she did the right thing and stepped down. I say the right thing because she lied to get where she is.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:31 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,915,192 times
to me this is no different that the idiots who sharpen their teeth, get face tats, and add implants to look like cats or tigers...are you really that unhappy with your identity that you have to pretend to be something else??

The problem is she is in charge of an organization and is a pathological liar...THAT is the real problem

We used to have friends...jewish sisters who grew up in a black neighborhood (upper class 90% black) and they embraced the culture...I hate to say "talk black" but they do, dress, only date black...they don't pretend to be, the will not say they are black...they still looked ridiculous to me...

Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM

16,875 posts, read 10,536,709 times
I posed this on the politics forum: why can't she identify as black and trans race? Does a trans man need to tell everyone his "real" sex? Maybe she felt more black than white.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You and I can argue all day long about what Baby Boomers' experiences were because you are an early BBer and I'm a late BBer. Plus you're a man and I'm a woman, and you're African American and I'm white. So of course our experiences differ. But my experiences weren't WEIRD and I grew up around lots of people who had the same experiences and felt the same way that I did, and I'm sure you can say the same.

By the time I was in grade school (integrated completely) kids were being taught in no uncertain terms that racism was morally reprehensible and that the Civil Rights movement was a great step in the right direction for our country. I didn't attend military schools - I attended regular old public schools in VA, NC, and GA.

In music class, we sang many songs made famous during the Civil Rights movement - many protest songs, folk songs, etc. I remember this very clearly.

Three Dog Night's song Black and White was a huge hit and I remember singing that in school as well, surrounded by a very diverse group of students.

Heck, my high school was 55 percent AA - I think it still is. This was in rural GA. And we all got along well together. I don't recall a single incident of racial tension at that school. In fact, the only racial issue I recall in school at all was in junior high school, when there was a group of AA girls who sort of terrorized anyone who wasn't in their group. But that's pretty typical bad behavior of junior high girls in general. I recall them calling me racist names - but they called everyone names, so there you have it. I am pretty sure they outgrew that bad behavior - I hope so.
I grew up in the south as well and attended elementary school in the early 70's. Our school was completely integrated and there was no thought of the races being mixed together. I actually responded to your post as I remember singing TDN's Black and White regularly in my school. All the kids pretty much got along together and didn't think of color.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,465,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I posed this on the politics forum: why can't she identify as black and trans race? Does a trans man need to tell everyone his "real" sex? Maybe she felt more black than white.
She just never claimed to be anything but black. Had she said all along that's how she identifies she wouldn't be in the news. She flat out said I am an African American. I am black.

She also financially & professionally gained from stating she was a minority.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,953,288 times
CNN Reports....

Rachel Dolezal -- the president of the NAACP Spokane, Washington, chapter -- has resigned, according to a letter from her that was posted on the chapter's Facebook page.

Letter: Rachel Dolezal resigns as NAACP president - CNN.com

Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM

625 posts, read 621,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
She obviously can identify as black and has for a few years, pretty successfully. Or do you mean transracial like Kim Kardashian or singer Iggy Izalea, not black, but not clearly identify more with black culture.

In reading her history it's interesting to note she used white when it was convenient, even claiming discrimination.

Then after she "became" black, she again claimed discrimination. Along with her new found blackness she survived/experienced:
*domestic violence
*hate crimes (none were ever substantiated, maybe because she did them to herself?)
*rape (after having her cocktail drugged by a wealthy "mentor" in California, sounds bizarrely like a Bill Cosby story)
*cancer
*the loss of her natural hair (those 4 foot long braids in some pictures which she claims she kept as a wig. Maybe because it was a wig to start with?)
*harassment of her black children at school
*beatings with a baboon whip as a child (which Rachel equated to slave beatings)
*lots of other experiences of a black woman/black child which she has lectured about, written about, been interviewed about, and has done Facebook and Twitter posts about

All of which would be interesting if she was white, but become more sensational and dramatic when she's working for the NAACP and is now a strong black woman being victimized for her civil rights work.

Instead she has appropriated black culture as a convenience for herself to get better jobs, to get attention, interviews, et al.

Because unlike a black person, Rachel Dolezal can become white anytime she chooses or if life gets too tough being black. These are questions of integrity & character.

It's amazing how much Rachel's been through, survived and triumphed over! Oh, except most of drama is fabricated baloney.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM

On a positive note, she will make a great case study for psychology students for the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events