Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:50 PM

520 posts, read 532,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Stick to organic, grass fed and local. I won't eat imported meats. Our own animal welfare for food animals within the American system is dismal. Can you imagine how horrible animal abuse and filth is outside of this country. Disgusting thought. Don't forget, the House is run by republicans who care no more about animals, than they do blacks, women or immigrants.
Yeah Im a vegetarian and I only buy organic but the rest of the stuff you said is pretty much where I step off your platform. The only thing Democrats do for minorities is hold them down and keep them under the bullwhip of big government dependency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:50 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
How do we protest this?
By not voting for Republicans who are pro-business! Sorry but which party wants to get rid of the EPA & FDA? Reap what you sow!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Funny thing is, China BANS U.S. Corn (GMO), Poultry (due to Avian bird flu), Beef (mad cow disease).

And the House of Representative are DOMINATED by the Republicans. So not sure why the finger pointing is directed to Democrats.

Republicans support the repeal of Country of Origins labels.
House votes to repeal country-of-origin labeling on meat
Quote:
House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said after the vote that the last thing American farmers need "is for Congress to sit idly by as international bureaucrats seek to punish them through retaliatory trade policies that could devastate agriculture as well as other industries."
Anyone here have a list of who voted what? Should be interesting.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:55 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Oh, and for the good news, China now owns U.S. swine production! Our bacon will now be safer! U.S. meats are loaded with all types of chemicals, GMO crap, pesticides, and injected with all sorts of vaccines.

Just to be safe, like everyone said, buy ORGANIC. Demand all GMO crap be labeled. Including every vaccines the animals receives.

Breaking News House Votes to Remove Country-of-Origin Labels on Meat Sold in U.S. | Alternative

Quote:
VLA comment: Of course this also makes sense since China now owns the largest swine production in the United States having bought Smithfield. The interesting good news is that Smithfield was using Ractopamine, a dangerous drug put in the animals’ feed, that has been banded in over 160 countries including China and now that China owns Smithfield, perhaps they will not be using Ractopamine any more. Or, the may be just using Ractopamine for the USA market which was set up by Smithfield. See info on Ractopamine

Old 06-13-2015, 08:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
By not voting for Republicans who are pro-business! Sorry but which party wants to get rid of the EPA & FDA? Reap what you sow!
LOL..so Canada, Mexico and the WTO had nothing to do with the vote ?

Supposedly the US broke international free trade law and we had until May 15, 2015 to remove the COOL labels.

The US plans to appeal the WTO ruling but the labels have to be removed while undergoing appeal.

Canada produced a list of US products that would see sky high tariffs. California wine, Florida orange juice, Vermont maple syrup to name a few.

The US has been fighting this ruling for 5 years. We did change the labels in 2012 but neither Canada nor Mexico were happy.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:20 PM

520 posts, read 532,321 times
Yah you all dont seem to understand why they voted to remove the labels. Its because the WTO put pressure on the US and threatened to get a trade sanction because they didnt want Canadian and Mexican meat discriminated against by Americans. So the reason the house passed it is because if they didnt we were going to have a WTO sanction. This is not a "republican" thing. It would have blocked US produced meat to be exported.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Deleted...posted in wrong thread.. sorry

Old 06-13-2015, 08:40 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Yah you all dont seem to understand why they voted to remove the labels. Its because the WTO put pressure on the US and threatened to get a trade sanction because they didnt want Canadian and Mexican meat discriminated against by Americans. So the reason the house passed it is because if they didnt we were going to have a WTO sanction. This is not a "republican" thing. It would have blocked US produced meat to be exported.
Thank you for the explanation.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
It is all part of the TPP. Which will get passed and damage the American economy. Many will lose their jobs and Congress will allow it to happen. I've called my Congressmen and expressed my dislike to this but it needs a massive amount of people calling in until they listen.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:58 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
If you guys are concerned about sourcing local, regional or humanely grown food you should have a look at EatWild.com. I tried to include a link but my tablet is not cooperating. I've ordered meat from out of state and it was delivered in dry ice within days. It is considered expensive to some but cheaper than wondering about quality and origin. The taste and texture of free range beef is definitely noticeable.

You'd also be surprised how many farmers are doing it for themselves. They are going to give you a fair and quality product because that is their livelihood and there is a lot of competition. Not to mention you are supporting a small business. I order pastured pork and beef an average every six months for my family. It comes labeled and frozen and ready to go into your freezer. Better get your connections now before they are regulated into oblivion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events