Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 AM

372 posts, read 533,939 times

Advertisements

oh dear heavens... such cruelty... and such a lost girl looking to be loved--absolutely tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This Draconian discipline is a form of child abuse. Our society is becoming increasingly and dangerously punitive.
A 13 y.o. sending nude photos of herself to boys is far worse. IMHO.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
She sounded troubled because she was a young teen sending nudes over the attempts of her parents to get her to stop.

She sounded troubled because she wrote suicide notes saying so.

I'm not saying he should have cut her hair, but if she had been a teen caught posting nudes (and before the suicide) without the hair cutting somewhere on some forum another group of judgmental posters would be saying "where were the parents? Why didn't they punish her? How could they let this happen? parents need to step up... Blah blah blah.
Exactly. Heaven forbid he actually discipline his own daughter.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Don't let the fact that no one suggested a parent not discipline their child prevent you from flailing away at that strawman...

Old 06-14-2015, 08:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
She sounded troubled because she was a young teen sending nudes over the attempts of her parents to get her to stop.

She sounded troubled because she wrote suicide notes saying so.

I'm not saying he should have cut her hair, but if she had been a teen caught posting nudes (and before the suicide) without the hair cutting somewhere on some forum another group of judgmental posters would be saying "where were the parents? Why didn't they punish her? How could they let this happen? parents need to step up... Blah blah blah.
When every headline screams, " Girl Commits Suicide After Public Shaming Video," it's easy for headline readers to blame the father. It even sounds like the cutter posted the video, rather than a 'friend' of the girl.

The cops have read the suicide notes and say there's no connection to the hair. Of course, anyone who rejects the connection will be accused of advocating hair-cutting as a way to stop 13 year-old girls from sending naughty pics to boys.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He wasn't her father. He was her stepfather and his reaction to her sending a topless pic to a boy was that of a crazed jealous boyfriend than a "father" figure.

Other articles say she dealt with daily verbal abuse and her mother never intervened. Who knows what else was going on in that home. The man sounds like a sick freak who got off on torturing this girl. I hope he pays for this somehow and the motber as well.
EXACTLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Cut and pasted from the OP's posted article... "The girl's decision to kill herself also doesn't appear to be related to the hair cutting, said Tacoma Public Information Officer Loretta Cool."

The truth is we don't know anything about why this child died or how she lived her life. To blame her dad on speculation alone... well, that's the Internet and poor journalism for ya. Thank God some of us have enough brains to dig deeper before condemning the father.
Well we DO know that physical and emotional abuse of children can lead to depression and suicide. This research has been around for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Since we know nothing at all, really, about this situation (unless you, marilyn220, who clearly have stepfather issues from your posting, know the family personally and intimately and know something factual about it that you haven't shared with the police), and we're apparently making assumptions about this tragedy based on absolutely nothing other than our own issues, let's consider that perhaps this man has been her "stepfather" from shortly after birth and IS, indeed, her "dad". And that he told her (twice, according to her own words) that if she sexted again that her hair, which she valued (but which he knew would grow back), would be cut and he was following through on what he said (unlike many parents who say, 'If you do that one more time, you'll suffer X punishment" and never do. And that he videoed it because in this day and age that may be the only thing that is "real" to some kids, if they see it on video.

Pretty sure the police investigated him in a very public case like this if only in the interests of CYA, and they say he wasn't the one who set the video free online. Sounds like maybe she shared her copy with someone and they betrayed her trust and did so. Which is pure speculation on my part, in the interests of honesty.

A very tragic situation however it came about.
We know the research. Its 2015 not 1960. See my response above. So let's not pretend his behavior had no impact on her. These things don't happen in a vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This poor girl. Even if the video hadn't gone viral, she still had to show up to school with her hair chopped off. I can't imagine the questions, shame and embarrassment she must of felt when her friends saw her.

I hope she's at peace now.
Yup.

Quote:
Ironic that people jumping on the dad for public shaming are doing the same thing to him on here (allegations of abuse) with very little information. Pot meet kettle.

It's a very sad story but one we are unlikely to know even a small percentage of the facts around.
"Allegations of abuse" (?!)
WTH do you think you just saw on that video??!
He deserves way more than "shame and humiliation." And is is the PARENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
No, but it sounds like she may have been being bullied at home...Sad.
She obviously was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
I will repeat:

Based on eight notes Izabel left behind before she died, investigators believe she took her own life because she was ashamed of her own actions on social media and worried the photo she’d sent to a boy would haunt her for the rest of her life.

In one note, Cool said, Izabel told her father how much she loved him and that he wasn’t to blame for her death.

So it isnt in any way clear that the incident which was posted to youtube after her suicide had anything to do with it.
Wrong. It's 100% related. Maybe not his behavior that *specific* day, but a parent doesn't just "all of a sudden" bust out w cruelty like this.

The notes are an obviously sign that dad had her so far brainwashed and emotionally manipulated with shame and guilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Read carefully - one is a CHILD one is an ADULT. I do not expect childish bully like behavior from ADULTS. OK?

Oh, and when ONE PUTS ONE'S LIFE OUT THERE IN PUBLIC - YOUTUBE, REALITY TV etc. EXPECT JUDGEMENT.
Or when your daughter kills herself after being severely emotionally abused on video, EXPECT JUDGMENT, SHAME , BLAME AND TO HAVE YOUR OTHER KIDS REMOVED FROM THE HOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Suicide is not black and white. Very rarely is there just one specific thing that causes the suicide. It's a culmination of events.
You are correct. It was the CONSTANT AND CONTINUOUS abuse which I would bet my license that she was enduring.

Quote:
Just because she wrote notes "absolving" him of this doesn't change the fact that her friends reported daily verbal abuse from this man everyday of her life.

He made her feel like crap for sending a pic topless to a boy. Why did he care so much about it to the point where he chopped off her hair and burned her clothes???

This is NOT "fatherly" behavior.

This home needs to be investigated, because I'm tired of hearing what HE has to say when he did NOT birth that little girl.
Exactly!

Quote:
This poor kid had no support system at home and most definitely not at the school either.

In HER mind she felt trapped and would rather end it all than endure one more day with that horrible despicable man. I believe his motives went much deeper than "concern" for her supposed welfare.
I see some people here actually understand parenting and child development. Nice to see!

Quote:
Has nothing to do with her dad. She was obviously mentally troubled and that was her choice.
WOW. Most callous and ignorant statement that I have ever seen outside of the politics forum. You need to do some research, sir.

Is Suicide a Free Choice or a False Choice? | World of Psychology

((suicide[Title]) AND child[Title]) AND abuse[Title/Abstract] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
A 13 y.o. sending nude photos of herself to boys is far worse. IMHO.
Except that this is not unusual or outside of the social norms. You don't have to like it, but you can't do that to your kid over it.

One is an adult and one WAS a child.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:23 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Shaming a child is a ridiculous form of discipline, and is a direct reflection on the step fathers lack of parenting skills, he also choose to record the event and should be judged accordingly. No one has suggested that the child shouldn't have been disciplined. Another thing that troubles me is that in addition to harsh methods of discipline it appears that he the step father was the primary disciplinarian which I wholeheartedly disagree with, that is the biological mothers job and the step father should have been playing a secondary supportive role.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 AM

520 posts, read 532,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Except that this is not unusual or outside of the social norms. You don't have to like it, but you can't do that to your kid over it.

One is an adult and one WAS a child.
Yeah Im still not buying any of what you said. Sorry. When there are 8 suicide notes, and all contradict your theory, Im inclined to believe the notes

Old 06-14-2015, 08:27 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
EXACTLY!

"Allegations of abuse" (?!)
WTH do you think you just saw on that video??!
He deserves way more than "shame and humiliation." And is is the PARENT!

The notes are an obviously sign that dad had her so far brainwashed and emotionally manipulated with shame and guilt.

You are correct. It was the CONSTANT AND CONTINUOUS abuse which I would bet my license that she was enduring - NCBI[/url]
I hope the license you refer to is a drivers licence because it's this kind of rampant melodrama that has counselling professions held in such universally low regard.

I posted my "allegations of abuse" in response to the rampant speculation that he was some sort of perverted stepdad who had been sexually abusing her. I don't agree with the hair cutting but absent facts I'm willing to assume it was a dad at his whits end with how to get through to a daughter making very very risky choices. A tragic tragic error in judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events