Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:55 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
This is incorrect
We have had voluntary restrictions for years followed on with overage use fees... in the case of my water district the fine for going over your allotment resulted in a fine of several hundred percent of your water bill. The base allotment amount has gone down every year for the last several years. Many ag permits have been reduced to residential ones and no new ag permits are being granted in my area

Going back to Cadillac desert ..too many people... too few resources living in an arid environrment ...
Dsal plants... change of historical water rights...permitting of all wells in California ... that's a biggie... change of farming practices.... creative water transfer practices... better environmental practices....everything is on the table ...

Can we maintain golf courses... thousands of marijuana grows.. swimming pools... or even thirsty crops like almonds?

I would say California feeds much of the nation and we should look at best practices to support growing food for others
Thanks for setting the record straight on California's water restrictions. I'm assuming the fact that they are now mandatory and not voluntary accounts for the reaction of many of the residents (and not just the rich entitled). The backlash was just surprising to me as I assumed that the recipients of this valuable resource were just as mindful of its use as those who live where the headwaters originate.

You in particular are well aware of the current situation but those who feel that any water available is theirs for the taking have a very cavalier attitude. I can only assume they moved from states where water is plentiful and are not accustomed to the scarcity of water in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Why don't they dig pipelines to move water from places that have too much to places that needed it? It seemed to work for the Romans.
Because water is so inexpensive, it does not make economic sense.

In Southern California, water costs something like seven-tenths of a penny per gallon

Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Thanks for setting the record straight on California's water restrictions. I'm assuming the fact that they are now mandatory and not voluntary accounts for the reaction of many of the residents (and not just the rich entitled). The backlash was just surprising to me as I assumed that the recipients of this valuable resource were just as mindful of its use as those who live where the headwaters originate.

You in particular are well aware of the current situation but those who feel that any water available is theirs for the taking have a very cavalier attitude. I can only assume they moved from states where water is plentiful and are not accustomed to the scarcity of water in the West.
You are correct
Cavalier attitude that is so California...
Here in the north we are experiencing wildfires already... Lake Shastas banks are already appearing which shouldn't happen until late July
We cannot make so cal green
We cannot support water features...
We do need to grow the food but farmers must cooperate... this will mean higher.. maybe substantially higher food costs

I see water as the new gold... heck we have water thefts occurring .. theft of water tanks .. certainly the damming of streams for marijuana grows.. by the hundreds if not thousands.. so that will have to be addressed.. um doing my part every chance I get....
Mount Shasta has areas exposed that haven't been seen since recording of such data.. bodies are showing up lost on the mountain in crevasses never exposed in permanent frost...

I'm told most of our water usage is ag... so that will have to be addressed ... short term who knows... other western states have their own water issues ... there isn't enough.
Thanks

This is now.. and it is serious

When planes spray daily overhead to seed or cool one knows they are desperate

Old 06-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That guy is an entitled ***k.

I guess the wealthy should get more WATER because they pay more in property taxes. That is what he said, no?

I don't like the direction this could go
The problem with his claim is that very few water companies/districts are funded by property taxes. Almost all are funded by their water rates and charges, some "special districts" getting a small amount
of state tax money used for infrastructure capital projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events