Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
yes, bad bad.. government...

but why didn't the kid have a key to the house or a garage door code???

My kids, younger than 11 have a house key in case they get home before me.. which happens almost every day!

Still, NUTS!

Another good point, my neighbors have my cell phone number, at least most do and on more than one occasion i got a call saying my daughter was at their house because she lost her key or left it at home that day..
I can't even count how many house keys my son went through.

I just made sure there was no identifying information on his keyring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What difference does it make if the kid is inside playing video games or outside playing basketball. Personally Id rather mine be outside playing.
It sounds like his being alone wasn't a problem, it was that he couldn't get inside if he needed to use the bathroom, get a drink, shelter from the heat, etc. A promise to hide a key somewhere and post an emergency number or two if needed should have been the end of it.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
neighbor and cop both need their ass*s beat.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
It's amazing that humans have made it this long, I mean, with the dangers of being outside for 90 min or longer, OH THE HORROR!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:26 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Two Florida parents were charged with neglect because their 11 year-old son was playing outside alone in the backyard for an hour and a half.

According to his mom, he arrived home before his parents and was locked out of the house (delayed with traffic and rain). He shot some hoops in the backyard to pass time.

His nosy neighbor saw him outside alone and called the cops. The cops waited at the house until the parents arrived and they were arrested.

The parents spoke out recently to Reason magazine. They kept their identities hidden in fear that they might those their jobs. The mother stated, "The authorities claim he had no access to water or shelter. We have an open shed in the back yard and 2 working sinks and 2 hoses. They said he had no food. He ate his snacks already. He had no bathroom, but the responding officer found our yard good enough to relieve himself in while our son sat in a police car alone. In his own yard, in a state, Florida, that has no minimum age for children to be alone."
Oh **** no, not okay at all.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM

756 posts, read 833,391 times
Exclamation Not Playing In Yard, Locked Outside, Don't Exaggerate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Two Florida parents were charged with neglect because their 11 year-old son was playing outside alone in the backyard for an hour and a half.

According to his mom, he arrived home before his parents and was locked out of the house (delayed with traffic and rain). He shot some hoops in the backyard to pass time.

His nosy neighbor saw him outside alone and called the cops. The cops waited at the house until the parents arrived and they were arrested.

The parents spoke out recently to Reason magazine. They kept their identities hidden in fear that they might those their jobs. The mother stated, "The authorities claim he had no access to water or shelter. We have an open shed in the back yard and 2 working sinks and 2 hoses. They said he had no food. He ate his snacks already. He had no bathroom, but the responding officer found our yard good enough to relieve himself in while our son sat in a police car alone. In his own yard, in a state, Florida, that has no minimum age for children to be alone."
I hate nosey neighbors.

But that kid should have a key to get inside.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 PM

601 posts, read 1,450,761 times
I was a latchkey kid growing up and my neighbors offered to "babysit" me after school until my parents arrived from work.

We built trust, friendship and loyalty with our neighbors back in the day.

These days, it's tough to trust anybody. Even your neighbors, with your kids.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh good Lord. I played outside by myself for hours at that age. What a dipstick of a neighbor. Invite the boy in for a lemonade if you are so worried about him!
Exactly....If my neighbors kid was outside in the rain, I would have taken him in the house. Course, maybe there is bad blood, or a pattern of this...most friendly neighbors would just help the kid til Mom and Dad got home. There has got to be more to it than this one incident.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
In my day (a million years ago) we were told to go out to play and not to come home until dinner time.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Oh **** no, not okay at all.
Yeah. Gross, officer. Go pee at Mrs. Kravitz's house, please. You already know she's home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events