U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:59 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,200,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Someone needs to make a convincing case for why we need to worry about species extinction.

Something better than "because".

BTW, the Chinese pangolin looks really cool. I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of one before.
Exactly. Major efforts from the community need to be made to demonstrate to the populace the severity of the problem at hand. The way the article is written, and based on what is showcased, you would not think the extinction is that bad.

Another thing is that we instill different ideals about each of the animal groups. For instance, there is a trend towards heavy conservation for animals like the Giant Panda, with efforts for conservation being shown thoroughly, whereas many endangered insects may not see as much focus, because of the cuteness of animals like the Panda vs animals like those many insects. It's called, survival of the cutest:
Could Humans Cause Survival Of The Cutest? - Scientific American
Survival Of The Cutest

Because of this phenomenon, even strong efforts towards conservation can end up failing in the long run, in the sense that many species would end up going extinct even with our intervention. So not only does conservation need to be demonstrated to the public as a dire need, it needs to be shown equally amongst all organisms as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 01:30 PM

4,069 posts, read 3,099,766 times
I feel bad for the animals ... that is all.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,442,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
We could be next, you never know. People should educate themselves about what genetic diversity does for this planet. Genetic diversity is important among animals and plants.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:38 PM

Shattering: Food, Politics and the Loss of Genetic Diversity - DeLind - 2008 - Culture & Agriculture - Wiley Online Library

Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 PM

What is Biodiversity? Its Importance and Reasons for Loss of Biodiversity? - Conserve Energy Future

Old 06-20-2015, 01:59 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,280,181 times
This observation is nothing new - it has been noted by professional biologists for a long time now.

Quote:
American Museum of Natural History
Press Release
April 20, 1998

The American Museum of Natural History announced today results of a nationwide survey titled Biodiversity in the Next Millennium, developed by the Museum in conjunction with Louis Harris and Associates, Inc. The survey reveals that seven out of ten biologists believe that we are in the midst of a mass extinction of living things, and that this loss of species will pose a major threat to human existence in the next century.
American Museum of Natural History Press Release

Of course, the serial denialists - either those who philosophically despise science because it alleviates the need for relying on the supernatural 'explanations' for things that some denialists prefer (most notably the rabid anti-evolutionists), or those that just find specific scientific knowledge inconvenient (examples: those who denied a link between smoking and cancer, climate change denialists, etc.) - will sneer at this just as they sneer at every scientific discovery or observation they dislike.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 3,099,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
We could be next, you never know. People should educate themselves about what genetic diversity does for this planet. Genetic diversity is important among animals and plants.
Yes, I took the essence of that into account when I wrote my earlier post. I would feel bad for the animals (and plants).

Based on how humans destroy the ecosystem to build cities I have concluded that the human race is an invasive species from outer space which would explain why ancient civilizations build pyramids or pyramid like structures. They were trying to go home in the afterlife.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:40 PM

556 posts, read 469,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
We could be next . . .
Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 PM

6,621 posts, read 2,185,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Yep. These kids now days. Raised with no father and not being taught right from wrong. All the guns on the street and easy to get. With the the Dumbing of America. Yep, the kids might pull it off.
There have been "kids" since time began that were raised without fathers for a variety of reasons; my own three included. My three are all productive, independent, responsible adults now raising their own kids. It has nothing to do with being fatherless...it has to do with how they are raised. By the way, they were without their
father due to his choice.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:10 PM

3,297 posts, read 2,326,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Human activity in every country in every era have resulted in animal extinctions or animals becoming extant in the past simply by taking over wildlife natural habitat as society's expand. It's a no-brainer. It can be a hunter-gatherer society burning rainforest to grow crops, or it can be on a larger scale as a side affect from agricultural use of pesticides.

Does your snide comment, which I highlighted, reveal your level of hatred for "these kids"? Get tired of using the word thugs, are you? Shouldn't you be killing blacks at a church somewhere?
Read that highlighted part again. You seem to miss the point, going off on trees and nature. Its humans that are at a low point here. Wake up. Or are you one of the ones that has not support his many kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or