Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:31 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that characterization. Have you met the French?
Fluffy, not looking to fight , but would be curious of your age. That's usually a big factor when it comes to our opinions. I remember back when jobs were plentiful, and when employers and employees respected each other. Today both want the thumbscrews tightened on the other. Nobody is all right or all wrong about anything.

BTW...I'm in my mid-60s. I remember when America was prosperous and sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
What business model supports this idea? Most businesses, mine included, depend on a team of some sort to get things done. If pieces of that machine are not present, work stops completely.
Correct. In addition, there is FAR more to a job than simply getting *your* work done or doing *your* own assigned duties. Especially in a team-based environment. Good employees understand the importance of:

a) A good attitude
b) Showing initiative. Asking to help out in other areas. Helping and advising teammates in need.
c) Being a mentor and teacher to less-experienced associates. Educating others on what you do, so that they can help you or even take over some stuff if needed.
d) The communication and social aspects of the job and workplace culture. And not just the in-person/Skype/conf-call meetings with teammates. Those little small-talk conversations in the break room do matter. So do team-building evening/weekend events.

The "Me, Myself and I" types typically don't fare very well in most businesses. I'm referring to the types who isolate themselves too much, and the types who brown-nose. They tend to be unfair to their hard-working teammates, and will drag productivity and/or morale down.

And, depending on the nature of the position, it's possible to accomplish all of the above while still working reasonable hours, maintaining a good work/life balance and taking a vacation or two per year.

A business model with unlimited vacation days can work depending on position (it's probably impossible for call center and most if not all types of shift work or other things that necessitate strict scheduling), but it is imperative that the company be extremely picky and hire people that are trustworthy enough to not "abuse" the vacation privilege and get things done within a reasonable timeframe. And quickly dismiss people who aren't up to par.

A candidate is unlikely to be hired at a good company with that kind of vacation policy unless he or she knows someone on the inside, or if the company (either itself or through its recruitment agency) approaches him.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 AM

625 posts, read 623,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm retired in my 20s. Life doesn't change THAT much. Granted, I love not going to work!
Hey, eddie, so are you writing from your yacht, your second home in the caribbean or from a posh hotel in Europe? Just wondering….

Old 06-20-2015, 09:21 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Don't be fooled.

In my experience, "unlimited vacation days" is code for "We double dog dare you to take any vacation at all and not seem like a 'team player'..."

"Unlimited" just means there's no standard/minimum set, which effectively means it's 0.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 AM

922 posts, read 1,148,350 times
I would take as many vacation days as Bush did while president. Nearly half his presidency was spent on vacation.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm self employed. What's a vacation day?
Same here, a vacation day was a day I wasn't making any money and I went out bidding jobs.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:11 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
There are:
169 million unused vacation days/year... or 52.4 Billion dollars left behind...

However, some companies (1%) are offering unlimited vacation days--as long as you get your work done.

What would you do, if you had this opportunity?

How would your life change?

I would work like my hair's on fire ... then travel extensively to various parts of the world.
Nothing would change for me, because getting work done on vacation would spoil the vacation. Not to mention that face-to-face talks are an integral part of my job. And trying to simply work crazy overtime to save up hours would be too stressful and sleep-depriving for me. I have borderline high blood pressure and a history of over-use of stimulants and it would be a bad idea.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't be fooled.

In my experience, "unlimited vacation days" is code for "We double dog dare you to take any vacation at all and not seem like a 'team player'..."

"Unlimited" just means there's no standard/minimum set, which effectively means it's 0.
That was what I was thinking, too.

My former employer (I'm a retired teacher) allowed 10 sick days per year that could accumulate to 60 days (enough to cover you before short term disability started).

However, on the first day of work the top administrator informed the entire staff "If you take more than 2 or 3 sick days this year we will seriously question if you are truly committed to continue to work for us".

A chill fell over the room as the teachers realized the implications of that "threat"/promise.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Fluffy, not looking to fight , but would be curious of your age. That's usually a big factor when it comes to our opinions. I remember back when jobs were plentiful, and when employers and employees respected each other. Today both want the thumbscrews tightened on the other. Nobody is all right or all wrong about anything.

BTW...I'm in my mid-60s. I remember when America was prosperous and sane.
I'm younger than you but not by a whole lot.

I don't know what America's take is on vacation days, to be truthful, but your statement seemed like a sweeping generalization. Of the people I know well, none of them care much about vacation or salary but I live in Silicon Valley, a community of nerds. Among people my age here, job satisfaction is probably the most important factor. It's not uncommon for workers here to put off retirement because they can't imagine anything that's as much fun as what they do at work.

I agree with you about age being a big factor. I think younger people generally do have a lower level of job satisfaction and wish they could get a regular check without having to put up with a lot of BS from some manager.

One of the ironies of the jobs/career arc in this country is that people tend to get paid the least during that one time in their life when they need money the most (setting up a household/childbearing years) or crave it the most (acquiring the little luxuries or status symbols that make life more enjoyable).

Old 06-20-2015, 12:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm self employed. What's a vacation day?
A vacation day is any day you're willing to take a pay cut.

I'm self-employed, too. I have to force myself to take time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events