Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:07 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Maybe this wasn't a hate crime?
You sure are emotionally invested in ignoring the overwhelming evidence that this was a hate crime.

Why is that?

Quote:
In one image, the suspected gunman is posed on the beach wearing the same clothes he is seen wearing on surveillance footage as he entered the church on Wednesday. It is unclear if this image was taken the same day as the shooting, but if so, it would show that Roof took time to visit the beach, inscribe the racist symbol 1488 in the sand and photograph himself before allegedly traveling to Charleston.

The symbol 1488 is a number adopted by white supremacists, according to online sites that have also posted the number. The "88" refers to H, the eighth letter of the alphabet and is a symbol for "Heil Hitler." The "14" refers to this Nazi party mantra: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."
Alleged Dylann Roof manifesto discovered online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:12 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You sure are emotionally invested in ignoring the overwhelming evidence that this was a hate crime.
I'm just interpreting what his friend said.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:16 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Perhaps they weren't really as friendly as the friend thinks. I wouldn't consider the words of the "friend" over the words of the assailant himself.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Perhaps they weren't really as friendly as the friend thinks. I wouldn't consider the words of the "friend" over the words of the assailant himself.
Hard to tell...the assailant's actions could point toward mental instability.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:29 AM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
bull, not insane or mentally ill at all. it was planned and calculated.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
well aren't you just the Little Lord Fauntleroy?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Maybe his friend is an idiot who cannot read other people's true intentions and/or separate them from what is coming out of their mouths.

I myself would not put much stock into what a few people who "knew" a person says. How many times have we heard "he was always such a nice person" used to describe serial killers?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-20-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 11:38 AM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Roof was trying to start a race war, probably enticing a radical Black person to retaliate so it goes back and forth until an all out guerrilla war develops.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:39 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
I once had a 14-yr-old classmate who tortured and killed an infant for the fun of it, according to his confession. This dude was a walking time bomb in school. "Bullying" was him on a good day. He was violent and mean. I _could_not_believe_ that someone let him babysit their kids, let alone an infant! I was completely shocked.

Even the people who had seen this guy be violent in school turned out to the media saying there was no indication he was like this. I confronted them and they claimed no recollection of the events, such as him kicking the **** out of other kids in the hallway. The teacher who facilitated the discussion of the news story shushed me when I pointed out to these people that this dude had punched, kicked, bullied, etc. and they had personally witnessed it. I don't know why the teacher chose that to be the one unacceptable thing to say.

This kid had no real friends because of his behavior, but all of a sudden the other kids were saying he was their friend and was a nice person.

Then his neighbors were interviewed and they said he was peaceful and sweet. I seriously doubt that was true. He could barely make it through an hour w/o acting out in a major way. He had been expelled from several schools because of this.

My point is, there appears to be some sort of human shock reaction when things like this happen. Or maybe they just want in on the attention and say what they think will get them the most.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:51 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Of course, because as I said in another thread:

Muslim shooter = Terrorist
Black shooter = Thug/gang member
White shooter = Mentally ill

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events