Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 PM

23,446 posts, read 12,481,493 times

Advertisements

They found female DNA on the letters.
A little bit odd, but when the current buyers received the letters they didn't first go to the police. Instead they went to the prosecutor's office.
Is 'The Watcher' a woman? Letters contain female DNA, report says | NJ.com

The DNA doesn't match the woman owner, but I'm still betting they were the ones behind the letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yes, but the fact remains that the English language does not have a universally recognized gender-neutral pronoun. Personally, I think it should, because there are plenty of situations in which the gender of the person being referenced is unknown. "He" has served that need for a long time, and while I have no objection to it, I think it would be better to have a separate pronoun in order to avoid ambiguity.

"He or she" is too long, "s/he" is awkward and clunky, and "they" already serves as the pronoun for more than one person of indefinite gender. Nevertheless, I think "they" is our best bet.

Now, what are we going to do with "manhole cover" or "pilots, man your planes" or "men at work" and so on? I suppose that "men" in the sense of "more than one person of indefinite gender" doesn't work anymore.

Anyone who attended grade school should know that 'he' is the recognized gender neutral pronoun.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,645,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I'd put my money on it being the new owners who are "the watcher".

1. There is no mention that the sellers had received anymore than that one single letter just prior to closing with the new owners.

2. The new owners claim that the sellers did not mention any letters, yet, somehow, the new owners knew about that one letter that the sellers had received.

3. The new owners are suing for a full refund of the purchase price with interest, and, to be able to keep the home.

They also want to keep the home? A place they claim they've been too scared to live in for the past year and are still too scared to live in it even now? A place that they claim would be too difficult to sell because of the alleged stalker?

Scammers
Yep, seems you were right! IF there are any letters, I think the Broaddus family wrote and sent them to themselves. Now, that's creepy.

'The Watcher' house ex-residents say there's NO stalker but couple want triple price | Daily Mail Online

Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,645,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hmm is this like NJ version of Amityville Horror number 563 or something?

That was an interesting situation.
It does resemble that house, and I think that's where the Broaddus's got the idea to set this up. (I believe they wrote the letters themselves, if any exist.)

Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM

113 posts, read 136,625 times
In today's news, the house is back on the market. The owners are too creeped out to live in it:

'Watcher' House Back on Market as Lawsuit Continues | NBC New York

Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
The owners are full of s*hit. Probably realized they were in over their heads with that house and needed to get rid of it fast - and get money out of it. Fame, too. I'm on team "they did it themselves." The first note, non-threatening, came to the previous owner just before closing. Suspicious timeline to me. And no leads in the investigation.

I live in a neighboring town. Westfield is a great town. There is no "watcher" on this house.

BTW - cool little article I found on it, where a reporter goes around the town asking people about it. http://gothamist.com/2015/07/31/the_watcher.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events