Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:40 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,283,348 times

Advertisements

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2264413

A New Jersey couple who thought they were buying their dream home are suing its previous owners, claiming the house has a longtime stalker who writes terrorizing letters and signs them "The Watcher."

"Why are you here? I will find out," one of the letters said.

"I am pleased to know your names now and the name of the young blood [child] you have brought to me," another read. "Who has the bedrooms facing the street? I'll know as soon as you move in … It will help me to know who is in which bedroom, then I can plan better."

In another letter (heard on the TV news this morning, NBC Today show), the stalker talks about things (or people?) hidden in the walls, and eventually the new owners will find them.

The short article states that the new owners somehow knew that the previous owners had been receiving threatening letters in the mail too. But during the sale of the house, the previous owners withheld that information.

I'm left wondering, how did the new owners know that the previous owners were receiving these threatening letters too, if the previous owners didn't disclose that information? So many questions.

I hope the new owners win this lawsuit. That $1.3 million home will be difficult/impossible to sell now that the housestalker has been made known. How horrible of the previous owners to sell it to anyone, especially to a young family with a child, knowing that a terrifying stalker was part of the package.

True, 1.3 million dollars is a huge reason to sell, but is there any other route the previous owners could have taken?

One of the stalker's letters said that the home had been in his/her family for years...so surely this stalker can be narrowed down by investigators.

I'd love to hear the resolution of this story.

Last edited by Zelpha; 06-22-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 AM

15,686 posts, read 20,188,881 times
Aren't there police that can deal with this? A little forensic analysis coupled with the fact that the watcher claims that their family has held the house for decades previously.

If anything, "The Watcher" is getting exactly what the want. Lowered property value so they can scoop it up.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Aren't there police that can deal with this? A little forensic analysis coupled with the fact that the watcher claims that their family has held the house for decades previously.

If anything, "The Watcher" is getting exactly what the want. Lowered property value so they can scoop it up.
If "The Watcher" is hoping to scoop up the house, this method is more likely to get him a prison sentence.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
I'd like to hear more about the previous owners having knowledge of "The Watcher" which is the basis of the lawsuit. Really crazy. I am surprised it has taken a year for this to come out.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 AM

828 posts, read 901,438 times
That sounds terrifying. I think it sounds like an FBI case. I hope he gets caught, and gets a strict sentence.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I'm left wondering, how did the new owners know that the previous owners were receiving these threatening letters too, if the previous owners didn't disclose that information? So many questions.
My guess is that investigators contacted the previous owners to ask if they had ever been contacted.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,813,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
That sounds terrifying. I think it sounds like an FBI case. I hope he gets caught, and gets a strict sentence.
What makes you think it's a he?

It seems obvious to me that this is being done by a neighbor, probably one who for their own reasons prefers the house remain vacant.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What makes you think it's a he?
The English language often poses us with this conundrum. There is no pronoun for he/she, so it's common to state unknown genders as "he." It's implied to be neutral.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
How did the sellers know that the water was watching the house and not just watching them? You know, there is a good chance that whoever is doing this is doing this to be funny. And just has a weird sense of humor.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How did the sellers know that the water was watching the house and not just watching them? You know, there is a good chance that whoever is doing this is doing this to be funny. And just has a weird sense of humor.
True, the sellers might not have realized it was the house that he/she was after. Maybe they moved because they thought The Watcher was after them personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events