Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:32 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I find it hard to believe that people dont realize that Google, Facebook, etc main source of income is the data they collect and that greed would drive them to do anything to collect any type of data from you. I don't think its really that big of a revelation that Google has been listening.

Its real simple to defeat this.

Don't use Google, Facebook etc.

Physically disable (cut wires) for all built in mics and cameras and only use ones you can connect when in use.

Use linux, and only use windows to use the few application/games you may need to it for.

Move your DNS server to Opendns

Rent a vps (preferably in another country) and setup a proxy and a vpn.

Setup 2 browsers

Disable javascript and cookies etc in one and fully route it to the proxy and setup the proxy to randomize your browser headers to different versions, plug-in versions etc.

Use the proxy for everything you can. When you need it you can open the second browser to connect straight and use javascript, cookies etc.

Never log in to anything connected with your real person through your proxy

Of course don't use Chrome.
Well that IS real simple! Why didn't I think of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
As long as the people I know (and around with) aren't listening then I'm fine...

Old 06-25-2015, 07:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
HappyTexan, I know it's hard to believe, but it doesn't matter what you do on your end. These spy programs are that sophisticated. They can play with volume, turn speakers on and off and basically do whatever they want remotely. You will have zero evidence on your end. You can readily find this info online. That is why some of us are this angry - the whole thing is ridiculous. I can see if they are spying on pedophiles or terrorists, but regular people?
Without a device driver neither a camera nor a MIC can work.

My camera is disabled permanently as I never use it.
I enable my MIC once a week when I raid with my guild (gamer here).

Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Did you not notice~"capable of listening in on conversations held in front of a computer." They are not listening to you typing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
That one went over your head my friend
Wayyy,wayyy over!

I'll bet there's a sizable bunch of Bronies scrambling to find the shut off for their mikes as we speak!

Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Given what's popular on the internet, Im not sure that the fapfapfap refers only to typing. And, they can probably figure out what's on your screen as well.
That would be "tap tap tap". Look up fap or fapping...

Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Here ya go folks..an internet slang dictionary:

What does FAP mean? - FAP Definition - Meaning of FAP - InternetSlang.com

In internet slang...you got pwnd by Uncle Bully if you thought his comment meant typing

Old 06-25-2015, 08:11 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I live alone the only thing they would hear besides talking to the dogs is me masturbating, oh god, oh god
I think I saw that video of you posted on Utube.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 AM

496 posts, read 396,020 times
We may not be doing anything illegal, or saying anything controversial. The issue is the government has no business listening to private citizens in the privacy of their own homes. If you are suspected of terrorism that is another kettle of fish altogether. The feds would be bored to death listening to DH and I in the evening. They would hear nothing outrageous from us but in the ever increasing big government mindset people are constantly breaking laws that they don't even know exist.

George Orwell was brilliant wasn't he?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If this is true, Google execs should be charged with wiretapping crimes.
No kidding.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Amass the data and then run analytics on it. You'd be surprised what can be done with that.

Obama got elected using big data.

Most computers come with a built in MIC and turned on by default.
Just turn it off.
The funny thing is that it can LOOK like you turned it off...but it can still be turned on. That's why I try not to get new computers, or get the most no-frills ones I can find. The little image you see that says "I'm TURNED OFF" is just software that someone programs.

It is SUPPOSED to show when the function is turned off, but the programmer can make sure it is still running even if the indicator light or image shows that it is off. Google is full of SH_T. BTW they are probably trying to figure out what language you speak etc so they can sell your information to advertisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events