Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Your link is bad:

Supreme Court blocks Texas confederate flag plate

I have an issue with the Confederate flag. The Civil was was 150 years ago. It's not the American flag and is supportive of slavery, racism and other issues. No one alive was around during the Civil war, and very, very few who are alive know someone who was in the was (who would have been in their 60's or 70's when they were born).
I find it amusing how many Americans scoff at people in other nations that are still ticked off at events that happened many years ago. The Americans will proudly mock them and tell them to "get over it" - and yet we're stuck with 1/3 of the country that is still fighting a failed revolution that ended 150 years ago. It's a joke.

Also, the Confederate flag is exactly what you stated. Today, it's nothing but support of slavery, racism, and killing your neighbor cause "ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do!" I seriously doubt anyone is flying the Confederate flag out of concern for cotton prices. I have yet to encounter anyone who flies the Confederate flag who isn't suffering from some mix of severe ignorance, bigotry, and an irrational hatred of "duh guberment" - even as they drive their jacked-up pick-up truck down the roads created and maintained by the government they despise.

Still, part of me is okay with them putting the Confederate flag on their license plates since it gives me fair warning that the person with the flag plates is almost surely irrational and a pain to deal with; bumper stickers saying "I'm an ignorant bigot" wouldn't sell as well, but same effect. Consider it a form of "truth in advertising!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
I see this on the road every so often. I think the Confederate stuff is weird, but is it "racist" for Tennessee to have this as an actual vanity plate?

(screenshot from the State DMV website)

Old 06-19-2015, 08:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Poor choice of words. The Supreme Court did not block the symbol on the license plate. It simply allowed Texas to choose what it displayed on the plate. Texas chooses not to display a confederate flag or more specifically, a vanity plate for the Sons of Confederate Veterans that incorporates a confederate battle flag.

Symbols mean different things to different cultures. In the end its just some paint, dye, cloth or whatever. Its really not a big deal except to a few who seem easily outraged by a lot of things.
In that case, why not run this up the flagpole? At some point a line does need to drawn...

Click image for larger version

Name:	flag.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	152073

Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Symbols mean different things to different cultures. In the end its just some paint, dye, cloth or whatever. Its really not a big deal except to a few who seem easily outraged by a lot of things.

From what I know, the Nazi flag and paraphernalia is banned in Germany, except in historical contexts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafg...ch_section_86a

I'm not saying that the confederate flag should be banned, but I don't agree it should be able to be used on government issued products (in this case, a license plate)

Old 06-19-2015, 09:21 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I despise the Confederate flag, I strongly disagree with the merits of the opinion. This should not be classified as the government speaking, but as the government, through a vanity license program, limiting speech by private individuals because it disagrees with the message.
The state government doesn't get to decide what's printed on state government-issued license plates?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Default Come to think of it, the SCVs do have a Confederate license plate...

They can just get a standard Texas plate with an all white background, neatly commemorating the white flag their Confederate fathers ended up flying.

Hey, this Supreme Court stuff is easy!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
I love these debates. I'm going to sit and wait for more SCVers to show up and plan an evening of shooting down ignorance with history lessons.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I love these debates. I'm going to sit and wait for more SCVers to show up and plan an evening of shooting down ignorance with history lessons.
I've never understood the SCV in general. In the late 1800's, sure. 150 years later? How many generations will this go on for? "My great, great, great grandaddy died in Gettysburg" -- So what?

My great grandfather fought in WWI for the Germans as a general, yet I don't go waving the flag around.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
This is very simple minded.

Quote:
Symbols mean different things to different cultures.
Very true.
Quote:
In the end its just some paint, dye, cloth or whatever.
If this is true, would you asked a few Jews if they have no problem with the Swastika on a license plate?
Quote:
Its really not a big deal except to a few who seem easily outraged by a lot of things.
Do you call the black population in the USA just a few and I am sure there are many white that believe this flag belongs in a museum. The civil war is over and you loss. Move on.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The state government doesn't get to decide what's printed on state government-issued license plates?
No kidding. Apply for a vanity plate reading EFF YOU or COPKILLA. See how well that flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events