U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 PM

9,665 posts, read 9,487,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I find it pretty revolting but not surprising...anesthesiologists are reputed to be arrogant asshats most of the time anyway. I've certainly never encountered one who was pleasant. The last one I had was quite a bully, I'm sure she had some choice comments about me when I was under.

IMHO it is one thing to make chit chat while doing your day to day work, and comment on the people you encounter. I can imagine and excuse a "Wow, look at the size of that__________" but it seems a whole 'nother thing to be angry/malicious. I wonder if that woman ever realizes she has a problem if an ordinary patient (especially one who is likely to be nervous about his impending gross and invasive procedure) really makes her want to punch him in the face? That is what my teenagers used to say when they were genuinely angry with someone, but they outgrew it.
Hmm. It's strange you say that. Of all the different types of Doctors, anesthesiologists have the reputation of being the most laid back, down to earth and fun to be around. At least thats the way we are known in the medical world. You can't have a huge ego and go into anesthesiology. You are always saving lives, and rarely get recognition or credit for it. You have to be a person that doesn't crave glory to be an anesthesiologist. Especially when there are other specialties that are easier to obtain, yet have a lot more accolades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 03:48 PM

68 posts, read 42,632 times
^ That is ridiculous, anesthesiologists definitely do not have the reputation of being laid back and down to earth. (maybe in their own minds) They have the reputation of being just below plastic surgeons on the yuppie doctor ass hat scale. They are typically the Porsche owner in the hospital employee parking lot filled with sensible sedans.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 PM

466 posts, read 445,389 times
Plus along with radiologists the ones who chose their specialty based on the highest salary/not having to communicate with patients ratio.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:24 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,693,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
A man in Virginia has sued and won $500,000 because his set his phone to audio record during a colonoscopy. What he heard on playback was the female anesthesiologist trash talking about him while he was under. That will make you think.

Virginia man wins $500,000 after recording doctors mocking him in surgery | Daily Mail Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSc2YZbNUy4
Awesome! I'm all about freedom of speech, but sometimes you have to watch what you say when it comes to claims about verbal harassment.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:34 PM

9,665 posts, read 9,487,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Plus along with radiologists the ones who chose their specialty based on the highest salary/not having to communicate with patients ratio.
I don't know if this is a thing or not. But if it is, I don't think it's true. I think you have to be attracted to and able to handle emergency situations. If you are not that type of person, all the money in the world isn't going to cure your misery, the same way you couldn't pay me enough to sit there and write on charts all day like an internist. In medicine, with the exception of general practitioners, all fields pay a decent wage so most people pick the field that makes them happy. If a doctor doesn't like patient contact, sure, they might go into radiology or pathology, and there is nothing wrong with that, but unlike them, anesthesiologists have to talk to people all day. They aren't asleep all the time.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:56 PM

28,147 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Hmm. It's strange you say that. Of all the different types of Doctors, anesthesiologists have the reputation of being the most laid back, down to earth and fun to be around. At least thats the way we are known in the medical world. You can't have a huge ego and go into anesthesiology. You are always saving lives, and rarely get recognition or credit for it. You have to be a person that doesn't crave glory to be an anesthesiologist. Especially when there are other specialties that are easier to obtain, yet have a lot more accolades.
I agree. I have known several anesthesiologists and they were all great guys. Smart, caring people who literally take people's lives into their hands every day.

On a slightly different note, I don't think it's all that unusual for patients to have some degree of awareness or recall, especially when sedation is light. I once had an outpatient procedure myself and was able to hear and recall in detail a conversation that the surgeon was having with someone about an upcoming trip to Scotland.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:06 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,609,526 times
Under anesthesia you are at your most vulnerable. Every time I have some kind of procedure I try to joke with the docs and nurses so they will take it easy on me. I mean, really, it is humiliating. Inserting foley catheters, draping my old naked body over a cage for back surgery, having me laid out on the table looking like I am being crucified for abdominal surgery.

::shudder::

Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,125,513 times
Default trash talking dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I am against frivolous lawsuits but something about his one struck me and I'm glad the guy won the case.

I think over the years there has been a decline in the moral fiber of our society but one should still expect a certain amount of respect from their Doctors and other professionals especially in the health care industry.
Any time someone is asked to disrobe in a doctors office there should be a high level of professionalism to help protect ones dignity.
I agree with you that the moral fiber of our society gets lower daily. A person such as this is in charge of keeping a person comfortable during a procedure, and keeping them alive. Wouldn't want anyone like her around me and why the real Dr didnt shut her up makes me question his professionalism. Future looks bleak and they may need to allow a family member in if requested as they do in childbirth. I am curious where he had the cell phone.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 06-27-2015 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: word correction

Old 06-27-2015, 05:40 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,609,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
I agree with you that the moral fiber of our society gets lower daily. A person such as this is in charge of keeping a person comfortable during a procedure, and keeping them alive. Wouldn't want anyone like her around me and why the real Dr shut her up makes me question his professionalism. Future looks bleak and they may need to allow a family member in if requested as they do in childbirth. I am curious where he had the cell phone.

In his pants pocket underneath the gurney.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 21 days ago)

5,395 posts, read 2,858,647 times
I heard what the doctor said, truly disrespectful. Glad they nailed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or