U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 763,008 times

Advertisements

This is a really stupid decision and the definition of a frivolous lawsuit.

Did the guy live through the procedure? Did they clear him or identify a medical issue? Great. Because that's all that is required of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 763,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Well if that doesn't **** you off, nothing will.....
That POS needs to lose her license-
I seriously hope & pray her career is over & anyone else involved, too.
Why would she lose her license? She didn't commit malpractice. She just hurt this guy's feelings.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 PM

466 posts, read 447,216 times
I wonder what motivated him to record in the first place? He may have already heard something in the hall, etc.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,692,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post

Did the guy live through the procedure? Did they clear him or identify a medical issue? Great. Because that's all that is required of them.
I can't believe people applaud this decision. Oh no! The big meanie said something mean!

Unless she actually wrote incorrect information on the forms or did not properly treat the patient physically, I don't see how this is malpractice.

I hope the entire decision is reversed on appeals.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,746,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Will never understand the connection between suing someone for that much money and justice.
If you read the article, you'd understand where the dollar amount comes from-

$500,000 for their client, which included $100,000 for defamation ($50,000 each for the comments about the man having syphilis and tuberculosis, $200,000 for medical malpractice and $200,000 in punitive damages.

So, $300,000 for damages for the two torts, and $200,000 in punitives. It's supposed to sting, make the defendants and others like them think twice before acting like that. I hope (but don't have much faith) that the physician licensing board also comes down on them.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:49 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,746,578 times
Quote:
She didn't commit malpractice.
The jury and the judge disagree with you. Read the article

Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,745,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Well if that doesn't **** you off, nothing will.....
That POS needs to lose her license-
I seriously hope & pray her career is over & anyone else involved, too.

People need to start doing this on a regular basis-
Don't trust doctors, nurses & anesthesiologists these days....
There's a lack of professionalism & decency that's appalling.
There are many options between losing a medical license and doing nothing. That is why state licensing boards have professionals from different disciplines. States have different sanctions they can add, without the MD losing her license. Despite her inappropriate care in this case, I don't know enough about her other work to judge. If I were on a disciplinary committee, my vote would be for mandatory psychotherapy with monthly letters from the therapist, perhaps some community service working in an understaffed clinic a specific number of hours weekly, and allow her to continue outpatient blocks and procedures so she could still work. But I'd restrict her from O.R.s or Procedure Rooms until she could identify to her therapist all the factors involved.

What if she had lost her father, brother, friend to a cancer that should have been found on a procedure like the patient was having, less than a month earlier? She wouldn't belong in that setting, if she was angry someone didn't find something on a procedure that took the life of someone close to her. What if she had superior skill in cardiac anesthesiology or trauma? You'd prefer she lose her license, although no one died, vs. work on her own life so she could earn the right to get back to practicing at the standard she was trained and perhaps excelled managing specialty cases? Not me, I'd rather have her rehabilitate herself back. I've seen several physicians do it.

The physicians I know who lost their licenses were convicted of murder, child sexual abuse and other major crimes. Education of a physician is a huge commitment.

I agree in this situation the anesthesiologist was not professional or appropriate. I have no further information about her practice to decide. What facts can you tell me about her previous 30 cases, last night on-call and staffing, plus other practice details?

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-26-2015 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,745,471 times
Quote:
Why would she lose her license? She didn't commit malpractice. She just hurt this guy's feelings.
Agree!

MSR

Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 PM

42,325 posts, read 49,965,724 times
It is neither illegal nor malpractice to be an ahole.

That being said, what an ahole.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 PM

8,352 posts, read 8,626,083 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is neither illegal nor malpractice to be an ahole.

That being said, what an ahole.
In some situations, being an ahole is malpractice. This doctor committed the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress and defamation through her treatment of this patient.

There are relationships and than there are relationships in life. The relationship between a physician and a patient is an extremely close an important one. When we present ourselves for a colonoscopy we are exposed in those intimate way to the gastroenterologist and the anesthesiologist. We pay a great deal for these procedures and there are certain reasonable expectations. Any sane would say that those expectations include not having the doctor joke about your having syphilis (especially when you don't), suggesting that your penis shouldn't be touched because of the syphilis infection, suggesting you should be punched in the face "to man you up". I saw another article where it was claimed she said someone should fire a gun up the patient's rectum. Although, I didn't hear that on the audio tape that has been made available. She suggested she would falsify a medical record claiming the patient had hemmroids when he did not. Interestingly, I hear the gastroenterologist kind of encouraging these comments and an MA present for the surgery laughing in the background. Its a most disturbing scene.

The real injury to the patient (and to others) was the violation of trust that occurred. Can we trust a doctor who would act like this to properly sedate us? Can we trust her to monitor our vital signs through a medical procedure? Can we trust her to do everything necessary to revive us if we suffer cardiac arrest? Perhaps, we can, but her conduct is so outrageous there is plenty of room for doubt.

I fear the consequences of what this doctor did will be felt when other patients refuse to schedule procedures they otherwise would have scheduled. What Dr. Ingham did spills over to hundreds of hard working and professional anesthesiologists and surgeons. They should be the angriest of all over what happened.

That is why is was necessary to find her at fault and award a large sum of compensatory and punitive damages. Sometimes, the function of the system is to send a message and it sent a loud and clear one in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or