U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 AM

4,121 posts, read 4,608,115 times

Advertisements

She committed malpractice plain and simple...saying he has syphillis??? WTF...and writing a diagnosis that is false...you bet your sweet ass she will be at the review board...

I'm sure doctors and dentists say sh** all the time...we are human. But to say that crap??? I'd flip -it's one thing to say...oh he's a little fat or wow he is a hairy guy but to joke around and say he has syphillis and to write a false statement-how many other people has she done this to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:40 AM

397 posts, read 764,861 times
Something is strange here. How was he able to keep his smart phone with him? When I had my colonoscopy, I had to strip down to a hospital gown and left all of my possessions locked up in the locker they gave me.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM

15,816 posts, read 9,762,375 times
My ex is an RN and worked in the OR for years. She told me it was very common for Doctors and Nurses to make jokes and comment on the person they were operating on. Sort of a way to relieve the stress of the job, I guess.

Don

Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 AM

8,343 posts, read 8,626,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
I wonder what motivated him to record in the first place? He may have already heard something in the hall, etc.
The newspaper articles written are saying his motivation was that he had similar procedures before and sometimes he woke up very groggy and wanted a recording of the physician's discharge instructions. I actually can relate to this. I've had both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy (stomach and esophagus) and I had to contact the physician after he had left the procedure room because in two situations, I literally didn't remember a thing he had said to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Mark,

You've made a good case here. I know where you are licensed. Given how that state's professional board that oversees regulated professions addresses complaints, do you think she should lose her license, had she practiced in that state? Lawsuits are direct ways patients send messages to physicians. Whether the clinician wins or loses depends on many factors, from those I've been privy to inside information. I can't recall one malpractice suit demanding the physician lose her license.

Fortunately, this anesthesiologists behavior is very atypical of any other anesthesiologist I know.

MSR
The issue of losing a professional license is a separate issue from a private lawsuit for medical malpractice. Without reading the professional rules of responsibility for physicians in Virginia its difficult for me to comment on this aspect of the case. I will say that asserting a physician's (other other professional person's) license should be taken away is a damn serious thing. People make that kind of comment too lightly here and other places. Whatever I think of Dr. Ingham's conduct that day, I do recognize that she trained long and hard (and at great cost) to become a board-certified anesthesiologist. There are implications to the public (as well as her) when it comes to professional discipline. For example, there may be a shortage of doctors in her field.

I will say the whole issue of licensing and losing a license is beyond the scope of this article and lawsuit.

I personally would be uncomfortable having Dr. Ingham as my anesthesiologist and if she showed up, I would demand someone else. However, that's a personal preference, not a statement of what the law is or is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
By your own source:

Malpractice Law & Legal Definition

Where was the breach of contract? The patient was going in for a procedure. He likely signed a consent form for the procedure. The procedure was done likely without complications.

And I do believe that this was a frivolous lawsuit. The guy sued for $1.5 million because a physician said something mean about him. Any rational person would at this and see it for what is: a chance to cash-in.

This is true unless the physician actually did falsify his chart. Then he has grounds for a lawsuit. But I did not see that mentioned in the article.

Are you a lawyer, by any chance?
1. There doesn't need to be a breach of contract for there to be a lawsuit for malpractice. What is needed is a departure from a recognized standard of care. I don't need to analyze that at length here. All normal people agree Dr. Ingham's behavior was a departure from this in many ways.

2. You are either being deliberately obtuse or you truly don't understand the way things work. An informed consent doesn't give a physician the right to accuse a patient of having a sexually transmitted disease, suggest they could give it to someone else, threaten them with physical harm, and suggest that she will put false statements about their medical condition into written medical records. A colonoscopy should be done without complications. Its not a very difficult procedure in the vast majority of cases.

3. I defined what a frivolous lawsuit was. Its a suit that is dismissed or it is found in favor of the Defendant. You apparently can't understand simple definitions. I guess the judge, the jury, and most of people here are just wrong and you are right. Yes, we should let you judge all malpractice cases in the future by the accounts that appear in the newspaper. It would be a much quicker system.

4. I am a lawyer. What are you?

Last edited by markg91359; 06-27-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,068,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My ex is an RN and worked in the OR for years. She told me it was very common for Doctors and Nurses to make jokes and comment on the person they were operating on. Sort of a way to relieve the stress of the job, I guess.

Don
This. An OB/GYN in my city was known to make derogatory or sexist remarks about his female patients while operating on them. One of my neighbors was an RN and warned me about him when I was new in town and looking for a doctor.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,796,114 times
Man, what an arse (doc)!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:19 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,138,779 times
I was glad to see the award to the patient. Many good and informative posts in this thread. If this is the way that they relieve their stress, I think that facility needs to get some professional mental health staff to provide a better alternative than making threats over an unconscious patient.

I did wonder if there was the possibiity that the others in the room didn't care for this person and her comments which she probably routinely made about people and just maybe they knew and allowed it to be recorded. Could be why nothing was being said by the others.

Lots of ways to relieve stress but that isn't one of them that works in this profession.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,246,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
If you read the article, you'd understand where the dollar amount comes from-

$500,000 for their client, which included $100,000 for defamation ($50,000 each for the comments about the man having syphilis and tuberculosis, $200,000 for medical malpractice and $200,000 in punitive damages.

So, $300,000 for damages for the two torts, and $200,000 in punitives. It's supposed to sting, make the defendants and others like them think twice before acting like that. I hope (but don't have much faith) that the physician licensing board also comes down on them.
I didn't mean how the cost was broken down, but the source of the actual money. That matters a lot. Does anyone believe that this man's hurt feelings outweighs the loss of that amount of money from some institution? It really sucks for that guy to have been made fun of but come on, five hundred thousand dollars?

Old 06-27-2015, 10:47 AM

5,889 posts, read 3,342,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don

I sure never heard it as an RN. Any joking was teasing each other, not commenting negatively on the pt. Any comment on the pt. was either relevant to the procedure, or something good like "he coached my son in High School".

Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,648,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Will never understand the connection between suing someone for that much money and justice.
You'll understand when you get a little older and the concept of absolute trust sinks in.

I've worked in and around medicine for over twenty years. I'd no more make fun of a patient under anesthesia than I'd set my own hair on fire. When you go under a general anesthesia, your life, your very ability to breathe is in the palm of the anesthesiologist's hands.

You are more helpless than a baby. Not only would I have awarded him money, I'd have given her six months in prison. Let's see how she feels about trust after a body cavity search by some rude bitchy prison guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or