Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 02:35 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times

Advertisements

25 year old woman has baby out of wedlock and it garners 31 pages of poutrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
25 year old woman has baby out of wedlock and it garners 31 pages of poutrage.
Not all of us commenting are outraged!

Old 12-27-2015, 02:36 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
But I think the whole point of this is that abstinence did not work for someone who was paid to crusade for it. It does not work because people are human and sexual relations are a natural part of being human. The Palins, both Sarah and Bristol, have spoken out against sex education and using contraceptives in favor of 'simply abstaining.' I would have a lot more respect for both of them if they admitted they were wrong about that and encouraged teens to learn how to use and obtain contraceptives.
So would I. And then she should take all the money she was paid to speak about something she obviously didn't believe in and donate it to a good teenage mothers program or perhaps to provide free contraceptives to high schoolers.

Yeah, I jest. She won't part with a single dollar of her ill-gotten gains to help those she might have misled into believing that abstinence works.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:57 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So would I. And then she should take all the money she was paid to speak about something she obviously didn't believe in and donate it to a good teenage mothers program or perhaps to provide free contraceptives to high schoolers.

Yeah, I jest. She won't part with a single dollar of her ill-gotten gains to help those she might have misled into believing that abstinence works.
You have no idea what she will part with or not. You've already been told what she did years ago and not currently, but it really doesn't matter to you, does it? You are on some sort of soap box about this person and that's that. I suspect some who are so against her would like it is she sent them a monthly check. It would make them feel at home.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:58 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times
Quote:

Are you saying that abstinence DOESN'T work?

Hmmmmm......I always thought that was the one sure fire way to avoid pregnancy.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:24 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post

Well, Bristol isn't exactly a shining example of what she preached; abstinence.

Maybe some of those teens will get a clue from this and start using birth control!

After all, if SHE can't abstain, why should they?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:33 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think that's true. I think most of the people who have zeroed in on Bristol do it because of her being Sarah's daughter and they dislike her mother so intensely for no reason other than she accepted the offer to run for VP. I think they are small minded individuals who are delighted to hang Bristol out to dry at every opportunity. If you want a supreme display of hypocrisy, it's the people who go after Bristol. If truth be known, plenty of them were pregnant when they got married, but it wasn't on national news.
Bristol and the rest of the Palins put themselves in the spotlight, and then complain about the spotlight.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Ah, I see, so the rightwing Christian morality that teaches no sex outside of marriage only applies, A, if you are a teenager, or B, if you are poor. Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Srsly. I thought single Mom's were the root of all evil; causing the destruction of the family unit; kids who grow up without a father are all going to jail . . and so on and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think that's true. I think most of the people who have zeroed in on Bristol do it because of her being Sarah's daughter and they dislike her mother so intensely for no reason other than she accepted the offer to run for VP. I think they are small minded individuals who are delighted to hang Bristol out to dry at every opportunity. If you want a supreme display of hypocrisy, it's the people who go after Bristol. If truth be known, plenty of them were pregnant when they got married, but it wasn't on national news.
Here's the key - they weren't relying on their reputation as the champion abstainer and reality show star. Walk the talk. Practice what you preach ~ and all that jazz.

Quote:
As far as I can find out, Bristol Palin has not spoken before teen groups for several years so it is disingenuous to claim that she was speaking to teens about abstinence when she, herself, was not practicing it. She probably WAS practicing abstinence when she was a spokesperson for those groups that hired her.
SURE she was. Wink, wink. We know she wasn't practicing birth control anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
But I think the whole point of this is that abstinence did not work for someone who was paid to crusade for it. It does not work because people are human and sexual relations are a natural part of being human. The Palins, both Sarah and Bristol, have spoken out against sex education and using contraceptives in favor of 'simply abstaining.' I would have a lot more respect for both of them if they admitted they were wrong about that and encouraged teens to learn how to use and obtain contraceptives.
Bingo.

Quote:

Well. One has to actually ABSTAIN for it to work and most people do not. As handily proven by Bristol.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

What is the opposite of ka-ching?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Ummm

Bristol Palin Earns $262,000 as Abstinence Ambassador - Us Weekly

Now I don't have a problem with anyone making money but: The figures behind Bristol's massive paycheck came from a Candie's Foundation tax form from 2009. The Candie's foundation was founded in 2001 to shape the way youth in American think about teen pregnancy and parenthood.

I think Candie's should get a new speaker & ask for their money back. There is also a video on the same link offering out condoms. Should she be handing them out if she doesn't know how to use them??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events