Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 07:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,903,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Fair enough. Except for that pesky little fact that abstinence doesn't work. The states where there is abstinence only sex ed have the highest rates of teen pregnancies in the country. And what is more, she knows it doesn't work. She is the living embodiment of that failed philosophy. She would have been better off promoting contraceptives if she truly wanted to help teens and not just collect a nice payday.
I know that states with abstinence only or abstinence first education systems have higher teen pregnancy levels. There have been threads on this, and I have gotten slammed by residents of those very states for stating that simple statistical fact. But it's true.

But I think the issue encompasses a few factors. One is that those states are often more religious and conservative (Bible Belt areas). Because of this, schools are more reluctant to teach birth control options as in depth as they should. They are more prudish, if you will. And they expect students to adhere to their supposed religion and know they shouldn't be having sex. Which is so dumb. It's considered "the standard" according to Texas, for one. Also on this note, parents themselves are more religious and conservative and simply don't talk about things like birth control with their kids. Responsibility isn't just on the schools, it's also on the parents. So while the schools may be failing with that curriculum, clearly so are that parents in those states, largely. The major issue though I think is the region, level of religiousness, and level of conservatism.

I researched the Candies foundation a bit on the website, it seems overall the campaign promotes abstinence, or as they say "waiting to have sex." I personally believe that in kids who are exposed to birth control methods in school and at home, and are also educated about abstinence, it is more realistic to expect them to make their own well-rounded, educated decision about what they want to do. Be abstinent (there are plenty of teens who remain abstinent), use birth control reliably, or ignore it all together and be risky.

I was educated heavily on birth control options in NJ. Rather graphically so, too. I had no questions at the end of health, at all levels I had to take it, from middle through high school. I understood everything. I was more well-rounded to make a fully educated and informed decision for myself, knowing ALL of the information, than I think some kids out there today. So while this may sound controversial, I think it depends on where a teen lives and also their home life. My region is much more open to teaching about birth control and does not focus on abstinence compared to other regions, for example.

But from what I understand on Candies website, the overall point of the campaign in which Bristol was involved in is to educate teens on the real life struggles of teen parenthood. Hence her commercial that I recall and described. It's about choosing girls who ARE teen moms so they can share their experiences to deter other girls from becoming teen moms. The experiences alone, not even considering preaching abstinence vs. birth control, should be a deterrent because you see and hear firsthand experiences from other teen moms and they describe the struggles. And according to Candies, research into teens who admit to paying attention to the campaign view abstinence favorably. Of course they could be biased and making it up or something, but I wouldn't doubt it. 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom turned me off from wanting babies. Not like I ever wanted to be a teen mother, but watching them I was like... damn. They have hard lives. That sucks.

Hearing something as simple as "I couldn't go to prom" or "I couldn't go away to the college I'd wanted to attend since I was 13 because I had a baby" is enough to hit a teen girl hard regardless of which method of trying NOT having a baby they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, sure, but it appears that she planned to get pregnant out of wedlock (i.e., planned to "sin") this second time. But hey, no problem, she can do whatever she wants as long as she also plans on asking for forgiveness after she does it? And people wonder why I no longer call myself a Christian.
I think, speaking from society's standpoint, having kids out of wedlock is viewed as a lot less worse today than it was 50+ years ago. It's not as big of an issue anymore. Bristol is a product of her generation. She does have strong views on gay marriage, though, for someone of our generation.

My cousin got pregnant out of wedlock at 21 and while my parents were concerned she was unmarried, I was more concerned that she wasn't in the best financial situation. I barely cared that she was unmarried, while they did. It's generational, I think. From years of seeing celebrities not take marriage or having kids in marriage seriously, and seeing it depicted in movies and on TV, I think it's changed a bit. Even religiously, a child born out of wedlock can be baptized. I'm pretty sure the parents can still get married in a church. And divorce is seen as okay if a woman is being abused by her husband. Maybe things are changing even within the religion, and joining the current times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,446,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
She's promoting abstinence for TEENS. No, she was not an abstinent teen, but she's promoting abstinence so others don't become like her. Abstinence IS the only 100% guaranteed method to avoid pregnancy. She's working to prevent TEEN pregnancy. She wouldn't be much of a spokesperson if she wasn't a teen mom herself with her own experience to share and try to steer kids clear from.

She's 25 now. Is she supposed to stay abstinent for the rest of her life?

Like I said before the first time she got pregnant I can buy into but this is the second time. She's lost that right to be s spokesmen now. it's obvious that she doesn't understand that just handing out condoms isn't working. It's obvious that she has NO clue that when she has sex that her partner should be WEARING the condom. She's not the role model for the job anyone can see that.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,172,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Like I said before the first time she got pregnant I can buy into but this is the second time. She's lost that right to be s spokesmen now. it's obvious that she doesn't understand that just handing out condoms isn't working. It's obvious that she has NO clue that when she has sex that her partner should be WEARING the condom. She's not the role model for the job anyone can see that.
Handing out condoms isn't the same as the abstinence only garbage she was paid to preach.

Safe sexual practices is fine, but when you are getting PAID to preach about not having sex AT ALL, and then get knocked up, it's beyond hypocritical.

She's 25 now, I could give a rats ass what she does, so long as she isn't speaking out both sides of her mouth.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,939,124 times
Ummm, OP, how do you become pregnant without a father involved? Agenda much? If you had read the article, it says that she refuses to NAME the father, not that there IS NO father as the title of your post implies.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:42 PM

50,306 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Bristol was dragged into the spotlight when her mother was tapped for John McCain's running mate. It was not of her doing. Otherwise, no one outside of Wasila AK would ever have heard of her.....or her mother or father or anyone else in that family.
She's no longer a kid, and not puts herself in the spotlight. Have you forgotten about all her television appearances? If you have, you might want to review this: Bristol Palin - IMDb

Old 12-27-2015, 08:56 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,731,003 times
All I have to say is that when the Babydaddy is named, and he poses for Playgirl, they damn-well better show his junk - in a ready-to-use state. I want to see what she was getting, in its full glory.

Furthermore, Playgirl had better not send in their idiot "stylists" - ruining his eyebrows, smearing lip stain on him, "manscaping him", and all the other garbage they do, to make their models so repulsive. Playgirl had that last Bristol Babydaddy looking like a thirteen year old GIRL. Maybe that look sells magazines in foreign countries. But we don't need any of that OVER HERE.

Thank you. That is all.

Oh. My daughter informs me that Playgirl went out of business. I guess we know why.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,259,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Ummm, OP, how do you become pregnant without a father involved? Agenda much? If you had read the article, it says that she refuses to NAME the father, not that there IS NO father as the title of your post implies.
Your silly. This thread was created in June. My title says that she is not with the father, which is true. It says nothing about there not being a father(which would be impossible because she can't create a baby on her own). No agenda, unless you believe creating a thread that says the Bristol was pregnant out of wedlock(fact), and was not with the father(fact) is an agenda. Nothing I stated was incorrect. She did not name the father, true, but she is not married or in a relationship with her child's dad. Did you understand the title? I'm thinking you didn't. it's okay! Maybe next time I will create a longer title so that posters like yourself that don't are able to better connect the dots: Bristol pregnant again out of wedlock and is not currently in a relationship with the baby daddy.

That better? Get it now.

Meh probably not. It's okay.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,406,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
She's no longer a kid, and not puts herself in the spotlight. Have you forgotten about all her television appearances? If you have, you might want to review this: Bristol Palin - IMDb
Evidently, you have not read either mine or the other posts that mentioned her many television appearances following her tenure as a spokesperson for avoiding teenage pregnancies. Her original entry into the spotlight was not of her choosing. Her subsequent years in the spotlight have been.

There. Is it clear now? Glad we got that straightened out.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,463,677 times
I predict that Bristol Palin will be pregnant by the 3rd baby daddy (no husband, no marriage) by 2017. And she will have 5 kids by age 32 (and still unmarried)

Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,070,835 times
She has a lot to learn, such as the ingestion method and the backdoor method of contraceptives.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events