U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:11 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,902,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The police attacked him and he held onto his kid. As a parent, I would do the same thing if I was attacked. What was he supposed to do, drop her on the ground?
What do you expect the police to do? They gave him 10 minutes to think about what he should or should not do.

I could understand if they made a move to arrest him the first 60 seconds but he obviously was not going to move. So I'll say again, what do you expect the police to do when people do not follow laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 10:12 PM

563 posts, read 354,887 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
20 years old and already has a kid.... refuses to get off the train when not paying for over 10 minutes... delays the train and inconveniences other passengers... who knows what he might have said to the cop to set him off...

I'm not too sympathetic towards the guy to be honest.. what if half the population just stopped paying the fares? If you let one get away with it others will follow.

Perhaps the grabbing by the neck was excessive especially with the kid there however.

Play by the rules or you may have to suffer the consequences. Ok folks!

Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,108,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I judged that man by his behavior not his color. He committed a crime and put his child in a very dangerous situation. Bad choices are wearing brown socks with black shoes..what this guy did was much more serious than a bad choice.
No, HE didn't put his child in a dangerous situation - the police did. The police ATTACKED an unarmed man with a child who committed a very, very minor crime.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Default What? Did you not see the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Hey...the dude didn't have the Fare. Just give him a ticket and TAKE him to Court.

He'll have to pay 10 times the fare and the Criminal Industrial Complex can make more $ off him by "enslaving him to the System." He'll lose his rights, and probably be thrown in jail.

What are you going to do...ARREST someone for Jumping a Turnstile ???

I run the toll booth sometimes,...my computer pass runs out of $. Are they gonna arrest me?
No...they send me a ticket to pay. I pay a fine of $1...and i'm on my way.

This is BS...its a Turnstile. Give out tickets....Duh
He was stopped for not having paid for the transit ticket. He was arrested due to the commotion he caused. Luckily you are not a detective, Dick Tracy.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:16 PM

5,357 posts, read 4,033,715 times
Quote:
The police attacked him and he held onto his kid. As a parent, I would do the same thing if I was attacked. What was he supposed to do, drop her on the ground?
No the police didn't attack him. The police were doing their job and this man should have considered his own actions and the repercussions that they would have on his own flesh and blood.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
What do you expect the police to do? They gave him 10 minutes to think about what he should or should not do.

I could understand if they made a move to arrest him the first 60 seconds but he obviously was not going to move. So I'll say again, what do you expect the police to do when people do not follow laws?
I would expect the police to give him a ticket. I would not expect them to attack him while he held a child. I think that's an acceptable expectation of the police - to not be attacked for committing a very minor crime.

If I am speeding 10 miles over the speed limit and I am pulled over, a fairly minor crime, I receive a ticket. I don't get pulled out of my car and cuffed. I don't get attacked in front of my children. The same applies here.

Is attacking and cuffing someone who doesn't pay their fare the norm for transit cops? Is that what they are told to do in their training? Can someone cite such a rule? Probably not.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 PM

Default Moon Beam, Should he be father of the year?

Quote:
Based on what? Because her father is a black man? Oh, no, he must somehow be a horrible parent because the cops were completely in the wrong and treated him like a high risk criminal for not paying a fare that I doubt amounts to more than $5. What a terrible, terrible father.

I hope none of you ever have a bad day or make a bad choice that someone catches on film and then judges your entire life because of it.

Or is it more like victim of the year? There is a lot of competition for the VIC awards this year. Vegas odds say he ain't gonna make it. Well, there is always next year.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
No the police didn't attack him. The police were doing their job and this man should have considered his own actions and the repercussions that they would have on his own flesh and blood.
Let me guess, you don't think the police attacked Eric Garner either?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:24 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,902,208 times
Quote:
I would expect the police to give him a ticket. I would not expect them to attack him while he held a child. I think that's an acceptable expectation of the police - to not be attacked for committing a very minor crime.

If I am speeding 10 miles over the speed limit and I am pulled over, a fairly minor crime, I receive a ticket. I don't get pulled out of my car and cuffed. I don't get attacked in front of my children. The same applies here.

Is attacking and cuffing someone who doesn't pay their fare the norm for transit cops? Is that what they are told to do in their training? Can someone cite such a rule? Probably not.
I don't think that's the same situation (your example in a car). In order to ride the train you need to pay for the fare. He did not pay for the train so he had no business being on the train.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Default Eric Garner

Quote:
Let me guess, you don't think the police attacked Eric Garner either?

Wasn't he on the Rockford Files? Great actor. But I think he always paid for the train, if he ever took it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or