Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
E-Verify is voluntary.

Employers are not required to use it.
I was being facetious (hence the "smack"), if the government isn't going to enforce existing laws for both immigrants and employers, then what's the point? The federal government has been rendered useless by partisan politics and oligarchical corruption. The only hope for any change is for the states to take back their sovereignty and deal with the problem at the local level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
People underestimate Trump. I think he's got a good shot at the prize, but only if he's seriously running, which is yet to be seen. Americans are sick of politicians who promise one thing and don't deliver. None of the republicans defy the left the way Trump is doing. Trump doesn't need the money from "special interest" groups. If he's being as real as I think he is, nobody will be able to pay him off, not now, not in the future.

Trump also doesn't care who he pisses off. He's blunt. He doesn't pander. He doesn't bend. Let's not be so quick to dismiss him.

We're quick to dismiss him just because of the bolded. Those aren't good traits when really examined.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not sure what you are talking about, where did I say it's easy to start a business and what has that to do with anything?
Who? Me? Where?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabush View Post
americans won't do any sort of farm labor for any wage
Wrong! Some who live in rural areas will and do. It is beside the point though. There are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign ag workers. The only reason that the growers use illegal aliens instead is to increase their profits. Besides only 3% of illegals are picking crops. The other 97% are doing jobs that Americans have always done. Next..........

Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
I know this doesn't add all that much of substance to the entire discussion, but I just can't understand this immoderate fear of aliens in this country. I have far more problems with exploitative corporations than I do with the "illegals" they employ and I definitely disapprove of the popular characterization of "illegals" in much of this country.

As a teacher I have seen some of my colleagues visibly treat children of "illegals" differently than other children, and I am completed disgusted by this.

"The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest tossed to me."

What a wonderful sentiment that has died such an ignominious death.
Fear? It isn't about fear but about our laws and the huge negative impact that illegal immigration has on our country. I suggest you bone up on this issue. You apparently, know nothing about it.

The poem on the Statue of Liberty does not negate our right to have limits on immigration today and immigration laws. We are a different country now with far less resources and a much larger population. I think even a 5th grader could grasp that. Where did that sentiment die? It didn't. We allow in over 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to provide them with jobs and resourses without denying our own citizens those things.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post

"The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest tossed to me."

What a wonderful sentiment that has died such an ignominious death.
If you are a teacher, I will assume you understand that those words were written before there was a social service network to juice off of. No welfare, EBT, free medical, restrictions on employment hours, NOTHING! The same things don't apply over 100 years later. That sign nowadays should read NO VACANCIES! Unless of course you want them living in your backyard. I didnt think so.

Again, not seeing why everyone is in an uproar over the comments. The man wants to keep illegals out of the U.S. and people are pissed. I honestly wasnt even thinking about Trump until he made those comments so clearly it was a good idea.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Trumps running out of things to keep him busy....as phony as his delusional Presidency campaign.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The latest salvo from the Trump in the growing controversy.

Exclusive: Trump Bans Univision Employees From His Properties
HIS property, HIS choice of who to allow access!
Remember the (meaningless) sign?
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone!"
Obviously, to Trump it is NOT meaningless!
Good for him.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:27 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
This situation should make it clear why we live in such a politically correct environment. Say anything that someone somewhere is considered offensive and you will suffer for it, even if you are as rich as Donald Trump. With all those businesses dropping him, I can't help wondering if he privately wishes he hadn't said what he said.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
This situation should make it clear why we live in such a politically correct environment. Say anything that someone somewhere is considered offensive and you will suffer for it, even if you are as rich as Donald Trump. With all those businesses dropping him, I can't help wondering if he privately wishes he hadn't said what he said.
Why is speaking the truth offensive? I especially wonder why it would offend American citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events