Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't know why the US doesn't officially go bilingual (English/Spanish) rather than try to fight against the current. It'd do Americans good to learn another language, learn to adapt to others, and it'd connect the US to much more of the western hemisphere.
Any American with a decent education in the past 50 years has learned at least two languages (may not be completely fluent since they didn't keep up with it, however).

There's no need to officially declare anything. While today, English and Spanish might be the most popular languages, in 50 years, Spanish and French might be. We were designed to be a nation that can adapt from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's no real need for this. Especially since we have a lot of regions where they don't speak English. Especially areas like Texas which were originally colonized by Spain. It was with purpose that this nation was not given an official language. Who knows, Spanish might become more dominant here one day.
The language spoken by most people in the U.S. is English. Official business of government is conducted in English. Historically, the United States has been an English-speaking nation. I, and most Americans as I can imagine, are not ready to have Spanish as the dominant language here. I have absolutely no problem with people speaking other languages in public; I would be a hypocrite if I said that since I know French (I'm not fluent, but I read, write, and speak it). The issue is that in America, the vast majority of us speak English. Plus, I believe that people who want to immigrate here LEGALLY (maybe illegal children can stay if they show that they have the potential to be contributing members to society, but ALL illegal parents and adults should be deported) should assimilate to our culture. As a nation, we shouldn't have to change our ways for anyone.

Additionally, even though those regions were colonized by Spain, they are now a part of the United States. People living in said regions should have to speak English like the rest of us.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Lol, unless you're native American, same can be said for everyone else in the USA, lol!
This argument makes absolutely no sense and is seriously devoid of any real merit. In order for someone or something to be "illegal", there has to be a set of laws in existence to essentially determine what is "legal" and what is "illegal". Usually, laws are established by means of a government. There were neither of the two when Europeans came to the New World. Like many other instances in history, America was simply conquered by a much stronger force. Just as the Romans conquered Britannia and Gallium (modern day Great Britain and Frace, respectfully), the Spanish conquered America.

The people coming to our country today are "illegals" because we how have a federal government which establishes laws. I am not an illegal since I was born in this country. I am a legal citizen of the United States, which both my Pennsylvania driver's license and U.S. passport both state.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:50 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Everyone is worried about the WRONG language.

Spanish speakers have no real economic power.

Learn Mandarin.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 AM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Everyone is worried about the WRONG language.

Spanish speakers have no real economic power.

Learn Mandarin.
You are saying there is no economic opportunity to be had by trading with our closest neighbors. Neighbors who share a very similar culture and heritage. That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Business opportunities very by location and industry. Please think these things through.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:43 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Americans who only speak English like to get their panties in a wad whenever they come within earshot or reading distance of people speaking Spanish or signs written in Spanish.

In this case, the fear (or discomfort or whatever you want to call it) comes from ignorance. Ignorance of this country's history, ignorance of anthropology, and ignorance of other domestic languages.

(Yes, you read that correctly.... Spanish isn't any more a foreign language in this country than English is).

Anyways, these same folks wield most of the political power at the moment, but if birth rates and other demographic trends hold, then the scales will start to balance out later on this century.

Its hard to say what might happen then... but my guess is that major metropolitan areas in the USA will all start to resemble Texas and California today. The recent supreme court decision will hopefully put a kibosh on gerrymandering which will lead to legislative representation more reflective of the people who live in those areas.

I have no idea whether these changes will be for better or for worse, but the folks complaining about English not being as dominant a language will look like the Quebecois/Franco-crackpots who have been trying to preserve the 'sanctity' of that language up in Canada (and in France).

Its a brave new world, Allons-y!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
English is the business language of the world and you can separate the world economically by those that speak English (higher income) and those that don't(lower income). I've worked in USA, Canada, Saudi, Kuwait, Mongolia, Russia, China, S. Korea, Iraq, and now Peru and in all cases in all countries, those that speak English earn more and have better opportunities.....therefore, first priority of our immigrants should be to learn English.

On the other hand, most of the countries in the Americas use Spanish as their language of communication and it is nice to be able to communicate in their native language. I have been working in Peru for almost a year now and have developed an ability to communicate in Spanish but far from fluent.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 06-30-2015 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: additional country

Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Spanish is the future of the United States. Math doesn't lie.

If you don't like it, quit moaning and complaining and whining about laws. Start making babies. Any white person complaining about immigration should get on the next boat to Europe.

What the OP missed is that yes, the U.S. has millions of Spanish speaking citizens --- most of whom also speak English. A bilingual country is a good thing.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain

Embrace the melting pot that is the U.S.A.!
That's not a melting pot but a salad bowl. The reason that Spanish is increasing in this country is directly due to illegal immigration from south of our border. That's a good thing?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
This argument makes absolutely no sense and is seriously devoid of any real merit. In order for someone or something to be "illegal", there has to be a set of laws in existence to essentially determine what is "legal" and what is "illegal". Usually, laws are established by means of a government. There were neither of the two when Europeans came to the New World. Like many other instances in history, America was simply conquered by a much stronger force. Just as the Romans conquered Britannia and Gallium (modern day Great Britain and Frace, respectfully), the Spanish conquered America.

The people coming to our country today are "illegals" because we how have a federal government which establishes laws. I am not an illegal since I was born in this country. I am a legal citizen of the United States, which both my Pennsylvania driver's license and U.S. passport both state.
Clearly, you haven't studied law as you're making up all sorts of stuff. There is no requirement for written laws created by a formal governing entity for laws to have been established. Societies can establish unwritten laws organically and this was the case for many societies back then. Native Americans had territorial laws and Europeans violated these laws. Similar to how illegal immigrants are violating our territorial laws today.

I suggest you actually learn the basics about law instead of making stuff up as you please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events